Contribute
Register

[README] Common (some unsolved) Problems in 10.12 Sierra

SSDT-PNLF also depends on content in SSDT-IGPU. You either need to change SSDT-HACK to instead use SSDT-IGPU (eg. remove the sections regarding IGPU injection) or add the BAR1 field to SSDT-HACK.

And you didn't set BKLT to the correct value in SSDT-Config (read the comments).

Ok I attached just my patched folder from Clover/ACPI/patched. I removed the IGPU entry from SSDT-HACK. I had to also include SSDT-Disable_DGPU as my dedicated Nvidia was showing up in Graphics. I still don't have the brightness slider in SysPref > Display. I am using the AppleBacklightInjector.kext that you told me to generate from U430 repo.

Attachments

• patched.zip
    7.9 KB · Views: 73
Ok I attached just my patched folder from Clover/ACPI/patched. I removed the IGPU entry from SSDT-HACK. I had to also include SSDT-Disable_DGPU as my dedicated Nvidia was showing up in Graphics. I still don't have the brightness slider in SysPref > Display. I am using the AppleBacklightInjector.kext that you told me to generate from U430 repo.

The ioreg you provided earlier implies that SysPrefs->Displays had a slider...
AppleBacklightDisplay under GFX0->AppleIntelFramebuffer@0
AppleIntelPanelA under PNLF@0
Keep in mind that until today, the patch_backlight.sh in the u430 repo had uid=15. But you have _UID set to 10 in your PNLF.

The ioreg you provided earlier implies that SysPrefs->Displays had a slider...
AppleBacklightDisplay under GFX0->AppleIntelFramebuffer@0
AppleIntelPanelA under PNLF@0
Keep in mind that until today, the patch_backlight.sh in the u430 repo had uid=15. But you have _UID set to 10 in your PNLF.

OK that uid=15 was the issue. I changed it to 10 and re-ran the patch script and I now have adjustable backlight. Sorry didn't see that you updated the U430 repo to include uid10. Thanks again. One question, when I booted up in verbose mode, my screen did flicker, is that normal because of the AppleBacklight?

OK that uid=15 was the issue. I changed it to 10 and re-ran the patch script and I now have adjustable backlight. Sorry didn't see that you updated the U430 repo to include uid10. Thanks again. One question, when I booted up in verbose mode, my screen did flicker, is that normal because of the AppleBacklight?

The extra screen flicker is due to the ACPI code in PNLF._INI adjusting the backlight registers to match what macOS expects. I suspect setting the new PWMMax causes a small glitch in the backlight. I have some experimental code that tries to do it only on vblank, but I'm not sure it is reliable and I'm not sure the ACPI interpreter is fast enough, so I have it commented out.

Thanks for this thread!

After finding that IntelBacklight.kext did not work in the 10.12.4 update, I went for the AppleBacklight injector route and patched my ACPI tables. I created an SSDT-PNLF.dsl file with my PWMMax data, and the external references from SSDT-IGPU, as attached below. After creating this file, compiling to .aml, adding it to my SortedOrder dictionary within config.plist, I reboot with the SSDT loaded and ran the script for creating the injector as it says in the guide.

This method worked and resulted in a higher and more accurate range of brightness levels, but I noticed one slight difference between it and IntelBacklight.

When booting, a brightness level determined by the firmware is selected and used during startup of the OS. With IntelBacklight, after second stage logo, the brightness level would remain the level it was during startup. With this AppleBacklightInjector method, second stage logo results in the brightness moving to FULL.

Part of this has to do with my NVRAM not being capable of being written to from macOS. EmuVar + RC scripts in theory should allow me to achieve controlling the backlight-level NVRAM variable from within OS X, but it doesn't seem to work either.

Since this was something that was possible with IntelBacklight, my question was if you had any suggestions to achieve this functionality?

Last edited:
My brightness keys work before type password for login to mac
After login not work brightness key
I used intel hd 5500 graphic card
Can you resolve this problem ?

Hi

I'm having the following issue, I created a USB installer using the the new version 10.12.4, I'm able to boot and install using Legacy mode, but after the installation(first part) Clover does not show the drive that I used to install Sierra. BUT if create a installer using the same files with the old version 10.12.3, it works fine, so it is either clover or my m.2 ssd.

I'm using the last version of clover with unsupported sata kext

Thanks for this thread!

After finding that IntelBacklight.kext did not work in the 10.12.4 update, I went for the AppleBacklight injector route and patched my ACPI tables. I created an SSDT-PNLF.dsl file with my PWMMax data, and the external references from SSDT-IGPU, as attached below. After creating this file, compiling to .aml, adding it to my SortedOrder dictionary within config.plist, I reboot with the SSDT loaded and ran the script for creating the injector as it says in the guide.

This method worked and resulted in a higher and more accurate range of brightness levels, but I noticed one slight difference between it and IntelBacklight.

When booting, a brightness level determined by the firmware is selected and used during startup of the OS. With IntelBacklight, after second stage logo, the brightness level would remain the level it was during startup. With this AppleBacklightInjector method, second stage logo results in the brightness moving to FULL.

Part of this has to do with my NVRAM not being capable of being written to from macOS. EmuVar + RC scripts in theory should allow me to achieve controlling the backlight-level NVRAM variable from within OS X, but it doesn't seem to work either.

Since this was something that was possible with IntelBacklight, my question was if you had any suggestions to achieve this functionality?

Check your NVRAM. AppleBacklight.kext stores the saved level in "backlight-level"...

Hi

I'm having the following issue, I created a USB installer using the the new version 10.12.4, I'm able to boot and install using Legacy mode, but after the installation(first part) Clover does not show the drive that I used to install Sierra. BUT if create a installer using the same files with the old version 10.12.3, it works fine, so it is either clover or my m.2 ssd.

I'm using the last version of clover with unsupported sata kext

Open a separate thread.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting"
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Back