Contribute
Register

[README] Common (some unsolved) Problems in 10.12 Sierra

Check your NVRAM. AppleBacklight.kext stores the saved level in "backlight-level"...

Solved. Found that in physical NVRAM that the variables were actually stored there, although NVRAM wasn't writable from OS X. Used dmpstore to remove all NVRAM variables with the OS X GUID found from the dump and AppleBacklight finally read the emulated backlight-level NVRAM variable to set the brightness level.

Thanks again!

IntelBacklight.kext is not working correctly with 10.12.4. Until it is fixed, you can use Brightness by bergdesign with it, or you can use patched AppleBacklight.kext or an AppleBacklightInjector.kext customized for your graphics device and display identifier.
I am using Brightness Slider from AppStore and everything is working fine, with your latest IntelBacklight.kext. Smooth transitions are there too. Maybe brightness range is a little messed up.
Regards

I am using Brightness Slider from AppStore and everything is working fine, with your latest IntelBacklight.kext. Smooth transitions are there too. Maybe brightness range is a little messed up.
Regards

Third party apps work with IntelBacklight.kext, but that won't help you with your brightness keys and the slider in SysPrefs->Displays.

I already mentioned this in post #1 where I refer to Brightness by berg design.

For correct brightness control (from the keys and SysPrefs->Displays), refer to the new guide linked by post #1.

Third party apps work with IntelBacklight.kext, but that won't help you with your brightness keys and the slider in SysPrefs->Displays.

I already mentioned this in post #1 where I refer to Brightness by berg design.

For correct brightness control (from the keys and SysPrefs->Displays), refer to the new guide linked by post #1.
Did and it's working fab. It's more like a native approach, using patched AppleBacklight.kext right?

Did and it's working fab. It's more like a native approach, using patched AppleBacklight.kext right?

It is a bit more native, but in some ways not as good:
- smooth transitions with the brightness keys is lost (but you gain fade on sleep/wake)
- you lose the micro-levels between black and the lowest level (as on a real Mac)
- IntelBacklight.kext is easier to implement

Last edited:
It is a bit more native, but in some ways not as good:
- smooth transitions with the brightness keys is lost (but you gain fade on sleep/wake)
- you lose the micro-levels between black and the lowest level (as on a real Mac)
Noted. Just out of curiosity, If it is a more native approach then why use IntelBacklight.kext or ACPIBacklight.kext?
Sorry, but I'm just a kid prowling into this hackintosh world trying to understand things rather than just getting them to work.

Noted. Just out of curiosity, If it is a more native approach then why use IntelBacklight.kext or ACPIBacklight.kext?

Your question is clearly answered in post #840.

Solved. Found that in physical NVRAM that the variables were actually stored there, although NVRAM wasn't writable from OS X. Used dmpstore to remove all NVRAM variables with the OS X GUID found from the dump and AppleBacklight finally read the emulated backlight-level NVRAM variable to set the brightness level.

Thanks again!
Hi, could you be more specific to how did you fix that?
I need a more friendly tutorial.
Thanks.

RehabMan,
Regarding to the issue "No trackpad found" in macOS Sierra. What is the correct way to get "new SysPrefs->Trackpad"?
I saw the change log (v1.8.25) in your repo:

"use new SysPrefs->Trackpad on 10.12 Sierra (based on usr-sse2 fork)"

For now, my only way to sort this, is building the fork from usr-sse2, folowing this https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller/issues/94

Back