Contribute
Register

[README] Common (some unsolved) Problems in 10.12 Sierra

You likely have not complete brightness levels prior to a sleep/wake cycle (due to incorrect ACPI code for AppleBacklight.kext).
yeah. I didn't fix the sleep issue as I don't use sleep (or I don't know how to fix it so I don't use it. lol). Is it hard to fix?

Read post #1.
I could swear this part wasn't there before :(

Anyway, I give up.
Going back to 10.12.3 until there are fixes to the 10.12.4 issues.
When using the system with a bit of a workload (like some Safari tabs and some programs running), it starts lagging :/
i didn't test the Safari crash after reinstalling macOS.

Activity Monitor still crashing...
Actually working until clicking the 'Energy' tab. After that, you can never open the app anymore.

About the brightness keys-I followed the guide exactly as written. You can see my DSDT is patched correctly in the Problem Reporting files I provided.
It was working well in 10.12.3 and before.

I could swear this part wasn't there before :(

Post #1 is a "living document".

Activity Monitor still crashing...
Actually working until clicking the 'Energy' tab. After that, you can never open the app anymore.

Bad battery data coming from your DSDT battery methods?

About the brightness keys-I followed the guide exactly as written. You can see my DSDT is patched correctly in the Problem Reporting files I provided.
It was working well in 10.12.3 and before.

You should use the debug VoodooPS2Controller.kext to determine which keys you're sending from your DSDT.
Because you didn't open a separate thread, finding your "Problem Reporting" files requires more effort than I'm willing to put forth (and you didn't link them).

Bad battery data coming from your DSDT battery methods?
ACPIBatteryManager seems to handle the data very well, no issues with my battery status, so I think the data is OK.

You should use the debug VoodooPS2Controller.kext to determine which keys you're sending from your DSDT.
I had VoodooPS2 v1.8.24 for some reason :/
Update to 1.8.25 solved it :)

ACPIBatteryManager seems to handle the data very well, no issues with my battery status, so I think the data is OK.

For a lot of the data, ACPIBatteryManager.kext just reports what the DSDT reports.
It is possible that some of the data is not handled well if it is not what macOS expects...
Just because ACPIBatteryManager.kext can deal with the data, does not mean that macOS can necessarily deal with it...
You might want to take a close look.

For a lot of the data, ACPIBatteryManager.kext just reports what the DSDT reports.
It is possible that some of the data is not handled well if it is not what macOS expects...
Just because ACPIBatteryManager.kext can deal with the data, does not mean that macOS can necessarily deal with it...
You might want to take a close look.
I reverted to 10.12.3 I'm afraid, so I can't really investigate.
Those lags drove me crazy, I couldn't use it as a 'daily driver'.
That's even after a fresh install of 10.12.4 which didn't help at all...

I was checking in console.app at 10.12.4, and seen so many errors.
Something about IORegistry, and some unsupported platform thing.
But guess what? I'm so stupid I didn't save them :/

I reverted to 10.12.3 I'm afraid, so I can't really investigate.
Those lags drove me crazy, I couldn't use it as a 'daily driver'.
That's even after a fresh install of 10.12.4 which didn't help at all...

I was checking in console.app at 10.12.4, and seen so many errors.
Something about IORegistry, and some unsupported platform thing.
But guess what? I'm so stupid I didn't save them :/

For you to investigate later...

No need to moving anything from SSDT-PNLF.dsl to SSDT-HACK.
Just use SSDT-Config/SSDT-PNLF as is.
Also, if you're injecting a patched EDID (to fix SysPrefs->Displays), make sure you remove that since it is not needed for 10.12.4 and if you changed the vendor/display-id it will affect the AppleBacklightInjector.kext that gets generated from patch_backlight.sh.

You forgot to attach "Problem Reporting" files. Please read, FAQ "Problem Reporting".

OK here are my reporting files. Of course I removed the serial number for SMBIOS from my config.plist so other people won't try and use it. I followed your steps in removing PNLF from my SSDT-HACK and just copied those two SSDT-Config and SSDT-PNLF files and used MaciASL to convert them to .aml as I wasn't sure if I could just use the .dsl for Clover/ACPI/patched. I also never used patches to fix SysPref > Display so no injected EDID should be detected. Let me know if there is anything else. Thanks

Attachments

• Problem_Reporting.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 99
Last edited:
OK here are my reporting files. Of course I removed the serial number for SMBIOS from my config.plist so other people won't try and use it. I followed your steps in removing PNLF from my SSDT-HACK and just copied those two SSDT-Config and SSDT-PNLF files and used MaciASL to convert them to .aml so I could use them in Clover/ACPI/patched. I also never used patches to fix SysPref > Display so no injected EDID should be detected. Let me know if there is anything else. Thanks

SSDT-PNLF also depends on content in SSDT-IGPU. You either need to change SSDT-HACK to instead use SSDT-IGPU (eg. remove the sections regarding IGPU injection) or add the BAR1 field to SSDT-HACK.

And you didn't set BKLT to the correct value in SSDT-Config (read the comments).

Back