Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi guys,

This is my first post on Tonymac! Hello! I normally find enough information from looking through other posts but I'm at a dead end with this one. I've been around Hackintosh's for a few years but I wouldn't say I was an expert so go easy!

I've had my Hackintosh for around four years now. I updated from snow leopard to mountain lion a few months ago as I work in music and needed to upgrade to pro tools 10. Over the past few weeks when I have been using pro tools the hackintosh will randomly turn off, ie black screen and no keyboard functionality but the fans are still going as if the computer is still running?

I bought a new Corsair RM750 80 Plus Gold PSU as my original build was quite a cheap one but the same thing still happens. I've tried different plug sockets in the house and still does the same so I am going to assume it isn't a power issue.

I'm at work at the moment so I can't give specifics of my build but it's the following:

-Gigabyte Motherboard
-6GB Ram
-Intel i7 processor
-Corsair RM750 PSU
-nVidia 460 graphics card
-120GB SSD (operating system)
-Western Green 2TB hard drive
-Western Caviar Black 640GB hard drive
-Wifi card
-Optical drive (not currently plugged in)
-3x Venom 10" fans for airflow (I installed these when I was using the build to play games in windows and had overheating problems.)
-Akasa Venom CPU cooler
-I also have a cooler unit on the graphics card but I can't remember which one off the top of my head.

I realise knowing more about my build will help work this out so I will add more details when I get home. I haven't run any heat tests yet so I will try that next but could this be a kext conflict issue or is it definitely hardware related?
I'm also going to reinstall Pro Tools just as an off chance there was a corrupt preference or something.

Many Thanks In Advance!

If I understand you correctly, your build did not have any problems until you installed PT10? I'm assuming you're running PT10 Native (not HD or HDX)? If you're using PT native, what audio interface are you using? Do you have the latest drivers installed for the device?

Several things I would try:
1. Do a "Repair Disk Permissions" - and then reboot your system. Now try your PT10 & see if the problem still persists.
2. Uninstall PT10, then go into Preferences folder & delete anything that has to do with ProTools or AVID (you'll see several items - both folders & plists). Then , "Repair Disk Permissions" and reboot. Now just use your machine for a while to see if you still have the same issue.

When you get a chance, get back with us regarding more specific details of your build (for example, are you on Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, Haswell system, etc).

Ok. So I've reinstalled Pro Tools and trashed all the preferences etc. Repaired the permissions but I'm now getting random shut downs after a few minutes without even using pro tools. Really don't know what's going on?
I'm using pro tools 10 native with a ULN-2 audio interface (I have all the right drivers for mountain lion installed) Here's some more information about my build:

-Gigabyte X58A-UD3R FA
-6GB 1079 MHz DDR3 (3x2GB)
-3.24 GHz Intel Core i7
-GeForce GTX 470 1280mb
-120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD trim enabled

Do you have another drive handy to see if you have the same issues with a "clean" install of ML? I know that sounds like a lot of work, but sometimes for certain types of mystery issues, a clean install typically fixes a lot of ills... :crazy:

I'll have a look, I think I may have a hard drive with a clean install of mountain lion. I've unplugged all of my peripherals including the ULN-2 and the hackintosh seems to be running ok without any random shut downs. I think it may be a conflict with the audio interface which is causing the shut downs.

I'll experiment a bit more and see if I can clarify if this is what is causing the problem. If it is do you have any suggestions about how to fix it?

I was more thinking: DOING a clean install of ML, using the latest version of UniBeast to build you a new install key, then using the latest MultiBeast. A lot of changes & improvements to the drivers. resources, kexts, etc. in both of those tools. A new USB key and a clean install + new MB may also be a good option for you.
:headbang:

Hmm I see what you mean but it was a clean install 2 months ago and I spent a few goes before I got it right with the kext installs. I used the latest version of Multibeast and it hasn't been updated since so I'm reluctant to do a complete reinstall. I've also kept it clean on what is installed on the main hard drive so only got applications I need are there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back