Contribute
Register

Random screen freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happened for me on different places (not always in safari). But safari was definitely open on the background.

I never ever use safari. It is not even on my desktop, but I get the freezes, so Safari is very unlikelly the root of the problem, since I never launch it.

My freezes usually happen when I'm doing something on the trackpad more actively. (either on finder, double swiping on launchpad, browsing on chrome, etc...) So if you're browsing a lot that may make sense that it crashes more on safari.

I may plug a mouse and start using it instead of the trackpad to see if I can get it to crash.

Anyone had a freeze while using a mouse?

@ElectronShaper

could you also post a log from Console when it happens.

I had this solved (no freezes for 2 weeks now before had them daily), by going to BIOS and reset to default settings. Then only unset switchable graphics. Previously I had changed some other options. Also when it happened to me before I was using Firefox. I would say its related to the Intel integrated graphics as there is a thread on Insanely mac with x3100 users complaining about exactly the same thing.

I did a reset BIOS before and after a fresh install of 10.7.0 but i will try it again definitely. Thanks.

shazeal said:
I had this solved (no freezes for 2 weeks now before had them daily), by going to BIOS and reset to default settings. Then only unset switchable graphics. Previously I had changed some other options. Also when it happened to me before I was using Firefox. I would say its related to the Intel integrated graphics as there is a thread on Insanely mac with x3100 users complaining about exactly the same thing.

Ok I think I jinxed myself by saying this. Literally 10 minutes after replying here the screen locked up as I was trying to open a new finder window!

I believe the people in the x3100 thread tracked the problem to the /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext
But it was not solved last time I looked.

Here's a console log from earlier today...

Attachments

• consolelog_1746.txt
    2.3 KB · Views: 141
I need your help to verify something... when your screen freezes you get a complete system freeze or it is just the mouse pointer that disappeared?

There have been a couple of times that I thought the screen was frozen, but the keyboard controls were still working (audio, brightness, etc) when I then realized it was the mouse pointer that went missing. I could see its trails by clicking and dragging on the desktop, and even click on stuff using the "invisible" pointer.

Can anyone confirm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back