GT 610
Hey all,

I'm having trouble post-installation with Yosemite. Here is my hardware:

GA-Z97-D3H - BIOS version F7
GeForce 610 GT (mfg: Zotac)
i5-4590 3.3 GHz
Crucial 16 GB RAM (8x2 DDR3 1600)
Samsung 840 EVO SSD (250 GB)

Installation went well right out of the box. Post-install, I ran Multibeast and configured with the settings found here (for 10.9, but I hoped it would be similar):

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...ccess-ga-z97-d3h-i7-4790-gtx760-10-9-4-a.html

I experience freezes that completely lock up the system. It can run in safe mode, which is where I make changes via Multibeast. If it boots into safe mode, it never freezes.

I've tried using the onboard video, and I've tried a number of options, switching IGPEnabler to yes and no, switching GraphicsEnabler to yes and no. I think for the 610, it's SUPPOSED to be IGPEnabler=No and GraphicsEnabler=Yes. I've also tried turning on and off the TRIM patch. I'm using the 3rd party SATA driver. I've enabled and disabled the audio in the BIOS with no improvement.

Does anyone have suggestions for a way forward? Thank you so much for taking your time to help out.

Hey all,

I'm having trouble post-installation with Yosemite. Here is my hardware:

GA-Z97-D3H - BIOS version F7
GeForce 610 GT (mfg: Zotac)
i5-4590 3.3 GHz
Crucial 16 GB RAM (8x2 DDR3 1600)
Samsung 840 EVO SSD (250 GB)

Installation went well right out of the box. Post-install, I ran Multibeast and configured with the settings found here (for 10.9, but I hoped it would be similar):

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...ccess-ga-z97-d3h-i7-4790-gtx760-10-9-4-a.html

I experience freezes that completely lock up the system. It can run in safe mode, which is where I make changes via Multibeast. If it boots into safe mode, it never freezes.

I've tried using the onboard video, and I've tried a number of options, switching IGPEnabler to yes and no, switching GraphicsEnabler to yes and no. I think for the 610, it's SUPPOSED to be IGPEnabler=No and GraphicsEnabler=Yes. I've also tried turning on and off the TRIM patch. I'm using the 3rd party SATA driver. I've enabled and disabled the audio in the BIOS with no improvement.

Does anyone have suggestions for a way forward? Thank you so much for taking your time to help out.

Just some random thoughts: What do you know about the system when it freezes? Use the Activity Monitor to run the option show CPU Activity (a small window with bar chart graph for each thread). Watch that window during a freeze; if all of the bars are at maximum then you would know that some process is not well behaved...

Also, you can run the system with the Console app open and on top and do the same thing, monitor the activity at the start of the freeze and during the freeze.

These might help to understand what is causing the problem.

Good modding,
neil

This will definitely help:

In the Gigabyte BIOS, turn off XMP settings here: Advanced Memory Settings: XMP Profile 1

There are issues with overclocking RAM on some configurations. The various automatic settings for CPU/RAM performed by the XMP profile sometimes cause freezeups.

What do you know about the system when it freezes?

Neil, thanks for your quick reply. Unfortunately, the computer often freezes before I even have a chance to open anything up. Sometimes, I can't even get the the OS to load completely (it freezes before the white apple logo screen switches to the black screen, about 40% through the load). Other times, it loads up just fine and doesn't freeze for a while, but it's random when it does freeze.

Tonymacx86, thanks for the recommendation on the RAM profile change. Unfortunately, that did not fix the problem. I've been testing the system with Windows today, just to make sure the hardware is not faulty. Everything seems good so far.

Any other ideas?

Are you still having the freeze problem in OS X where Windows did not have the problem?

In case the problem still exists, I suggest a re-install of OS X and boot from the USB installer for now.

Do you see the freeze the the new install when booted from the USB installer?

Anyway when I have a problem install such as this, I format and partition the SSD or HDD with two or more partitions. Then as soon as I get the install completed and have gone through the account set up screens, I clone the new install off to the second partition (I have SuperDuper on my USB installer along with Multibeast , Show All Files app and Kext Wizard app).

By doing this, I have a recovery path other then having to re-install when things go bad.

Back to the problem. Assume that you have installed and have re-booted and gone through the account setup. Is the system stable?

At this point the loaded system is a product of the install and the USB installer bootloader config files.

At this is the point in the process, what is working and what is not working? Don't rush to run Multibeast.

Post your progress and status at this point.

Good modding,
neil

Thanks for getting back to me again, Neil, and thanks for the backup tips. I'll look into SuperDuper.

Windows did run just fine, aside from the failing HD I was using. Anyway, I switched back to the SSD and went to reinstalling OS X. I had reinstalled multiple times over the course of things, but the freezing was pretty consistent.

I noticed another setting about the RAM running on a more stable setting, but that didn't help either. In the end, I removed the video card and just used the integrated card and now things are working fine (aside from a multi-colored snowy screen on waking up the monitor). I put the new card in another computer and will just call it done. I don't know why the 610 GT was causing all the trouble, but something about it just wasn't working. I also tried a GT 740, but that had a similar problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back