Contribute
Register

Random kernel panics after successful install - Can't even boot from the USB installer anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI X99A SLI PLUS
CPU
Intel i7 5820k
Graphics
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980ti
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
After a successful installation of Mac OS X Yosemite, shortly after when booting up again it would not boot and would result in a kernel panic (images attached). I did not change anything from the time it was working and then when it stopped working.

First time posting as I tend to work out all my issues from searching the forums and reading extensively, but unfortunately I have not found a solution for my current problem.

SPECS:
MSI X99A SLI PLUS Motherboard
Intel i7 5820k CPU
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980Ti GPU
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb SSD
Mac OS X Yosemite 10.5.5

I'll explain how I managed the installation (which took days to be able to do) then I'll go over the issue.

1. I created the installer USB using UniBeast 5 (Chimera boot loader) for Yosemite.
2. I worked out I could boot into the USB using the following boot flags: npci=0x2000 nv_disable=1 nvda_drv=1
3. Installed Yosemite and booted using the same boot flags and restored from Time Machine backup (from old computer)
4. Updated to Yosemite 10.10.5, installed NVIDIA Web Drivers and CUDA Driver, VoodooHDA Audio (multi-beast).
5. I was able to boot from the USB into the Yosemite Drive using the boot flags: npci=0x2000 nvda_drv=1 kext-dev-mode=1
5. At this stage I was having issues when running any kind of MultiBeast (DSDT Free) and also if I installed a boot loader. So I didn't do anything in Multi-beast other than the VoodooHDA audio. I could boot from the USB still so I decided to just keep it like that for the time being.

So pretty much I had a working computer, graphics was running fine, audio was fine, ethernet etc. I could restart the computer and boot into it from the USB, which was good enough for now as I spent several days getting to this stage! Now for the disaster. I literally did NOTHING, didn't install anything else, didn't run Multi-Beast and install any new KEXTS, I simply had it off for a little while then came back to it. When I tried booting from the USB (with the boot flags listed on number 5 above) to Yosemite drive I had a kernel panic occur. I thought maybe starting from scratch would help since I knew how to install it without any issues. So I tried to boot into the installer using the boot flats listed above on number 2. Another kernel panic! Nothing changed since the last time I booted and it was running fine, and I've NEVER had a kernel panic with the installer, only had issues with it freezing or the screen going to sleep during the apple loading screen but that was BEFORE I discovered the correct kexts that worked for me. So for some reasons I can't boot into the installer or the Yosemite drive even using the boot flags I used before, which always got me back into the installer at least.

I can't seem to figure out what has happened as nothing changed since then.

What I have done to troubleshoot:
1. Ran UniBeast again on the same and a different USB and tried different USB ports (including ones at the back of the computer).
2. Tried adding (by themselves and in combination) -v, -x, GraphicsEnable=Yes/No, maxmem=4096, -no-zp along with the original boot flags I used to get into the installer.
3. Tried with a single stick of RAM
4. Installed Windows 10 and everything ran fine including benchmarks and stress tests, so it's not a hardware issue.
5. Unplugged any other HDDs and even the SSD so that only the USB was plugged in.
6. Googled the error from the kernel panic but can't seem to find a solution that works for me.

The next thing I am going to do in the meantime is try UniBeast 6 using Clover. I've only worked with Chimera before on my previous couple of builds and feel much more familiar with it. I'm willing to try Clover now in the meantime. The thing that gets to me is even through the days and days of troubleshooting when I couldn't get it to install, I was ALWAYS able to get to the installer without a kernel panic (with the boot flags I used). The issues I had then were to do with it hanging on the load screen and the screen turning off but never kernel panics. Now all of a sudden they have started and I have no idea why and can't get into the installer without it happening.

If you have any tips that I haven't tried yet, please feel free to let me know, even if it's a long shot! Really need to get this working as this will be my primary video editing computer and I've spent weeks on it already and it was pretty much completed up until last night when the kernel panics started. Thanks for reading :)

Attachments

• IMG_0333.jpg
    IMG_0333.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0334.jpg
    IMG_0334.jpg
    750.4 KB · Views: 104
I found the solution!

If anyone else has this problem please try the following.

1. I downloaded the files from this YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjMXkB2wMWE.
2. I located the extra folder on the UniBeast USB and added the VoodooTSCSync.kext there. For some reason it worked before without it but now it decided it needs it to run.
3. I ran the installer again using the bootlegs npci=0x2000 nv_disable=1 nvda_drv=1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back