Contribute
Register

Random freezes and reboots when trying to update OC 0.7.4 to 0.7.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would recommend you disable your Thunderbolt device in your Bios and see what difference that makes, especially while you are troubleshooting the system. I know you started a Thread about getting the TB device working on your AsRock Z490 board and received a positive response from CaseySJ.

See if that changes how your system behaves regarding reboots, and cold starts.

The SATA controller should be set to AHCI in the Bios, even if you don't use any of the SATA ports.

Your EFI folder looks OK.

You have reverted to using a number of ACPI rename patches in your config.plist, which WhateverGreen.kext and AppleALC.kext deal with when injected by OpenCore.

The rest looks fine, for a system booting in to the OC Picker List.

Thanks Edhawk, I thought I could turn off SATA completely in BIOS as I'm not using the ports indeed; will change that.

Concerning the ACPI patches, I'll turn them off.... I have been trying a lot of things lately...
Will report back

Hi there,

So, I set the SATA controller to AHCI and disabled Thunderbolt in BIOS, disabled SSDT-DTGP.aml, SSDT-TB3HP.aml and the ACPI rename patches and cleared NVRAM.

I then shut down the computer for about 30 min and booted again: no panic and the Hack booted to desktop. Did a couple of other tests, first shutting down and rebooting the Hack after one hour then after two hours and had the same results so I thought the issue was gone and that the SSDT-DTGP.aml, SSDT-TB3HP.aml still needed some tweaking.

Unfortunately, after shutting down the Hack yesterday evening and booting it up this morning the panic happened again :banghead:

OK, we need to look at any other customisations have you made to your system since installing the OS. We need to eliminate them all as a possible cause for the panic.

If you were to revert back to your OC 0.7.4 setup, do the panics occur?

If you have a spare SSD or NVMe drive, which you can use to run a clean installation on that might help. While keeping the current setup, so we can compare the difference.

Sorry for the delay I was testing and as it only happens on cold boots... anyways

It seems that the Hack reboots on cold boot only if I don't close apps before shutting down. I still have to nail which app does this but it is either Mail app or Safari but it's weird as I never had something like this before. Is there a Quirk that I need to enable/disable in order to prevent this from happening? Thanks!

I do not have a spare drive but installed Big Sur on another volume on my existing drive and I have the same issue.

No there isn't a specific Quirk you need to or can set to prevent the reboots from happening, unfortunately. Would be ideal if there was.

If you unselect the 'Re-Open Apps when system restarts' option,on the Shutdown/Restart popup box. Do the same reboots occur?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back