Contribute
Register

Random freezes and reboots when trying to update OC 0.7.4 to 0.7.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes framebuffer change and removing framebuffer-patch-enable + framebuffer-stolenmem should be enough indeed and I added agdpmod=pikera.

I'm currently using framebuffer 0300923E (1st on the list) and as I found a way to do the USB mapping with Hackintool under Monterey, I did it again just to be sure.

While I still did experience a couple of freezes, it seems less frequent, Ialso tweaked a bit my pmset as such:
Screenshot 2022-01-26 at 18.28.52.png

There is also still an issue where if I put the hack to sleep (Apple>sleep) and wake it up, the system will reboot. I've seen a couple of posts on Apple's boards with people facing this issue with genuine iMacs since Monterey so a fix could happen with a MacOS update at some point

You might want to have a look at the Bluetooth USB port, just to make sure it is set correctly. Given the reason for sleep prevented by bluetooth message in terminal output posted above.

It is: Bluetooth is HS14 and is set as internal
Screenshot 2022-01-27 at 19.19.24.png

the bluetoothd in the command above is linked to my Apple keyboard and also happens on real iMacs since Monterey. But actually the Mac goes to sleep... it just reboots instead of waking up when clicking the mouse.

And I still experience the freezes/reboots or freezes/hard reboots :| and when a panic with a report happens (sometimes the system just restarts normally) the issue is always linked to the graphic card as seen in one report posted before.

Is it worth adding the gpu info (device path etc) to DeviceProperties in my plist?

Adding the device path to the DeviceProperties won't hurt. Same goes for adding the device-id.

Which manufacturer made your RX 5500 XT - Asus, Sapphire, PowerColor, Yeston, MSI, Gigabyte, XFX?

The card is manufactured by Sapphire, it is the Sapphire Pulse RX 5500 XT 8 GB

I've added the card to DeviceProperties, I don't know if it's the right way but here is what I did:

Copied device path from Hackintool to plist
Screenshot 2022-01-28 at 12.59.46.png

Copied device-id and converted Hex value to Hex reversed: 0x73401002 > 02 10 40 73
Screenshot 2022-01-28 at 12.57.21.png

added to OC
Screenshot 2022-01-28 at 13.01.00.png

and pressed reset nvram when rebooting the hack but sadly I still have these freezes :banghead:

Last edited:
The Device path looks fine.

However, you didn't need to do the Hex conversion.

Entering <73400000> should suffice, as the device-id is already automatically associated with the dGPU by the device path.

As that is what is normally required when using the device-id entry for a Fake dGPU ID.

Screenshot 2022-01-28 at 16.56.12.png Ivy Bridge IGPU fake ID example.

small update: when I wake the hack using the power button it actually works but if I wake it with a mouse click, it restarts and I get the panic message related to my graphic card

Hi there,

I'm still having freezes, it driving me :banghead:

To sume up the issue:

everything was working well (using UHD630) until I finally found a graphic card at a decent price and added it (Sapphire RX 5500 XT).

Since then my system randomly freezes and when it happens, I need to hard reboot it to be able to use it again, after the hard reboot no panic report is generated. Sometimes, it will reboot on its own and in this case when it reboots, I will first see the message that this Mac restarted due to a problem and can send the panic report to Apple (copy is attached).
I have also issues with sleep (turned off for the moment) where the system goes to sleep but when it wakes, the monitor does not turn on and the system reboots also generating a panic report (identical to the one generated after a freeze/reboot).

I've been trying to find a solution for this but so far nothing worked and I have no issue with the card with Windows.

Attached are my EFI folder, a copy of IOReg and a copy of the last panic report I got after a reboot.

Hope someone can help :)

Thanks!

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    4.6 MB · Views: 28
Well the Panic text definitely points the finger at the AMD GPU and it having a Power issue, which is causing the kernel panic/freezes you are facing.

Observations/questions:
  • You have the agdpmod=pikera boot argument in your setup. So that is not the issue.
  • You are running macOS Monterey 12.2, so the AMD drivers provided by Apple shouldn't be the issue either.
  • Your motherboard only has the one PCIe slot, so that shouldn't be an issue.
  • Is your RX5500 XT a 4GB, 8GB, Pulse, Nitro+, Overclock or combination of these?
  • Was the card bought New or Used?
  • Which PSU are you using?
  • Stupid question but, have you checked the power cables are fully connected to the PSU (if modular) and the power connector(s) on the GPU? With nothing loose or bent, deformed, pinched or damaged while being fed around the case and your ITX board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back