Gigabyte GA-Z270-HD3
CPU
i5 7400
Graphics
HD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hello everyone,

I built my Hackintosh with only 1 RAM stick of 8gb (ddr4, 2400mhz)
Inside the computer, I have 3 drives. 1 SSD with the OS installed on it, 1 HDD with a Windows partition on it, and the rest is an ExFat partition so I can easily access files on both Windows and Mac OS (I have a dual boot option on startup), and the 3rd drive is a Mac OS formatted HDD, with some files on it.

Since I bought another 8gb stick of RAM (same model, same company, same power, speed, etc.), and installed it correctly in the matching slot colors on the mobo, and in the right order (computer correctly says I have 16gb of ram now), it seems like I'm getting some random crashes every 2 days or so. It's not about a software installed, the whole computer freezes and I have to reboot it.

Another thing I have noticed is that the ExFat partition on one of my drive is not mounting correctly. On startup, the drive will not appear, and will only do so after around 15-20 minutes. Disk Utility won't show anything since it's loading forever.
"diskutil list" in Terminal will show the missing partition, but it seems like Mac OS is having hard time mounting it.

My Dropbox folder is on that ExFat drive. So maybe Mac OS is sometimes trying to get data from that drive, and that this drive randomly unmount and that it makes my whole compute freeze? I don't know...I have no idea what's going on but I did my best to tell you guys everything weird that has been going on lately.

I haven't tried to remove the new 8gb stick to test if it happens again yet.

Can it be a faulty memory stick? (it's brand new from Amazon).
The ExFat partition is on a brand new HDD (Western Digital 1tb).

When I boot on Windows, I can correctly see that partition. It really seems like a Mac OS issue, and not a hardware problem.
If something was wrong with the HDD or RAM, I guess I would see it on Windows too.

Another thing is that I tried using Disk Warrior (a hardrive repair and data recovery software) on Mac OS, and it will detect the ExFat Partition, but it will say "Unknown Disk - Directory cannot be rebuilt, the file system is unsupported". After around 15 minutes that my system was booted, then it switched and the ExFat partition finally mounted. Weird...
Again, before I installed that new 8gb RAM stick, I don't think I was experiencing these kind of issues. I don't remember having random freezing issues like that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
In the mean time, I press CMD+S to save my documents everytime I can ;)

Thank you very much

Last edited:
exFAT is a file system developed for flash drives and has little or no resilience which means that the slightest error can result in the loss of all of your data. Sharing the drive between operating systems multiplies the risk of corruption.
If you value your data do not use exFAT.

Very good to know. So do you think that could cause the random crashes?

I have formatted my data drive to a regular Mac drive instead of ExFat. But doesn't changed the fact that it freezes around once or twice a day.

Today though, when it happened, instead of pressing the Reset button, I decided to wait, just to see if it would unfreeze, and it did, after around 1-2 minutes. And everything continued working like it never happened.

I'm glad I just have to wait a bit instead of rebooting my machine, but this is still annoying.

Maybe this information will help?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back