Motherboard
HP 8300 CMT
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Starting own thread to try and fix this issue I am having.

I'm running an HP 8300 which has been very stable using onboard HD4000 graphics. With the move to 10.13.4 I upgraded to an RX560. This is working well with two monitors EXCEPT for the significant issue whereby both screens go black and cannot be turned back on. This seems to be random, and the computer continues to e.g. play music. I have not find a way out except to hard reset i.e. use the physical power button.

Sleep on the computer works properly.
Displays turn off and wake works properly.

I followed @pastrychef excellent guide and have enabled the Intel HD4000 onboard graphics in order to get Quicksync (which is working according to MacX Video Convertor Pro). I have also been following along with this thread but no-one seems to have the same issue, except this person.

I am first trying to get graphics on the RX560 working stable. I will then look at HDMI/DP audio.

Attached is config.plist and below my /Library/Extensions folder. Let me know if anything else would be useful to troubleshoot.

Any suggestions how to get this back working stable? Thanks in advance.

Screen Shot 2018-04-09 at 8.31.30 AM.png

Attachments

• config.plist
    5.6 KB · Views: 217

I'm running an HP 8300 which has been very stable using onboard HD4000 graphics. With the move to 10.13.4 I upgraded to an RX560. This is working well with two monitors EXCEPT for the significant issue whereby both screens go black and cannot be turned back on. This seems to be random, and the computer continues to e.g. play music. I have not find a way out except to hard reset i.e. use the physical power button.

I followed @pastrychef excellent guide and have enabled the Intel HD4000 onboard graphics in order to get Quicksync (which is working according to MacX Video Convertor Pro). I have also been following along with this thread but no-one seems to have the same issue, except this person.

I am first trying to get graphics on the RX560 working stable. I will then look at HDMI/DP audio.

Attached is config.plist and below my /Library/Extensions folder. Let me know if anything else would be useful to troubleshoot.

View attachment 324059

Have you tried Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext?

Also, for 10.13.3 and up, FakeSMC.kext should be in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/.

View attachment 324059

First of all what brand of RX560 card do you have?

Second of all you do not need WhateverGreen or Lilu (but this is needed for other paired kexts if you are using any) with 10.13.4.

Also you do not need RadeonInit.

Also you should put in nVidiaGraphicFixup.kext in there as well and it should fix your black screen issues.

You do not need to put these in S/L/E at all, just put it in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/.

Also I would take out those SMC sensors, they're troublesome.

Remember the less kexts you have the better. Also always keep your kexts in EFI/other for a cleaner installation rather than putting them in the system folders and then avoid rebuilding the kext cache at all costs.

The cleanest systems never touch system folders.

Thanks for the quick responses.
Have you tried Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext?
I was hoping not to use WhateverGreen or Lilu as I understand they are not needed (as per @izo1) and as below looking to keep this clean.
Also, for 10.13.3 and up, FakeSMC.kext should be in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/.
Should I just move the file or what is the technique for doing this? I haven't seen this mentioned (and followed your excellent tutorials).

I am using a "reference design" RX560 from an OEM source. I haven't seen any details online - photo attached below.

I do not have RadeonDeInit unless I am mistaken? (it is unticked in Clover Config).

Using nVidiaGraphicFixup.kext seems counter intuitive as I do not have any nVidia cards?

The kexts are all there from multibeast/tutorials - I have not put any there manually, and don't know what they all do. Sounds like I need to do some reading on /Library/Extensions vs EFI/other as would very much like to keep a clean system.

Are you suggesting I remove FakeSMC_ACPISensors.kext, FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext, FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext, FakeSMC_LPCSensors.kext. Just delete them then rebuild kext cache and reboot?

IMG_3104.jpg

I was hoping not to use WhateverGreen or Lilu as I understand they are not needed (as per @izo1) and as below looking to keep this clean.
Should I just move the file or what is the technique for doing this? I haven't seen this mentioned (and followed your excellent tutorials).

I am using a "reference design" RX560 from an OEM source. I haven't seen any details online - photo attached below.

I do not have RadeonDeInit unless I am mistaken? (it is unticked in Clover Config).

Using nVidiaGraphicFixup.kext seems counter intuitive as I do not have any nVidia cards?

The kexts are all there from multibeast/tutorials - I have not put any there manually, and don't know what they all do. Sounds like I need to do some reading on /Library/Extensions vs EFI/other as would very much like to keep a clean system.

Are you suggesting I remove FakeSMC_ACPISensors.kext, FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext, FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext, FakeSMC_LPCSensors.kext. Just delete them then rebuild kext cache and reboot?

View attachment 324066

I have seen instances where WhateverGreen.kexts helps multi monitor setups. It's up to you if you want to use it or not.

NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext can help users who use iMac17,1 system definition because it has ADGPfix built-in.

When putting kexts in to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/, you can just copy/paste.
When putting kexts in to /Library/Extensions/ you MUST use an app like KextsBeast or manually rebuild kexts cache.

View attachment 324066

I do not know what kind of RX560 that is. I know for a fact through testing that XFX does not work.

I recommend you flash the vBIOS to something like a Sapphire Pulse RX560 found here:

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/197896/sapphire-rx560-2048-170929

Note you will need Windows or boot into DOS and use AMDFlash GUI or command line via a thumbstick and manually do it. AMD allows vBIOS updates. I recommend you dump and backup your current vBIOS before you do anything so you can restore if needed.

Also Note 2: I bear no responsibility if you fry your card.

Also note anytime you move any kexts into or out of S/L/E or any other system folder you need to rebuild the cache.

This is why it's best to keep kexts on your EFI partition. It's the safest and easiest.

Last edited:
Interesting. I was hoping that as a standard reference card I would be OK, but will look into vBIOS although it would be a last resort!

Did you have more to say regarding "But since your fan is smaller" ?

Interesting. I was hoping that as a standard reference card I would be OK, but will look into vBIOS although it would be a last resort!

Did you have more to say regarding "But since your fan is smaller" ?

I removed that sentence had written it by accident.

But yeah it’s most likely that gpu that’s the issue because I have a RX560 on a 2nd system and it works perfectly fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back