GTX 770 2GB
Mac
  1. MacBook
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hey everybody,

since my mainboard has two raid modes (one with the internal Z87 chipset and one with Marvell® 88SE9172 chip), I was wondering of someone has tested this feature.

My main goal is to set a RAID 0 and get fast disks to work together. Reading the manual I understand that is has to be set on the BIOS. I am not an expert, but I hope OS X sees the drives as a single disk, so I can set the FileSystem and start to work.

I use my Hack for editing and it works really well (I sold my iMac 2011 to buy the parts).
I also have a Promise Pegasus which works pretty good and it's a fast alternative to internal RAID, but I would like to sold it and prefer an internal solution.

Is internal SATA going to be faster than Thunderbolt for my work?

For now I am using a Western Digital 4TB Green. Green hard drives have good performances, but they are not usually indicated for the editing (my clips are not so hard to process so, for now, everything is similar to the iMac + Promise Pegasus R4 workflow, just a little bit slower).

I hope you can help me. Thank you so much for your time.

Hey everybody,

since my mainboard has two raid modes (one with the internal Z87 chipset and one with Marvell® 88SE9172 chip), I was wondering of someone has tested this feature.

My main goal is to set a RAID 0 and get fast disks to work together. Reading the manual I understand that is has to be set on the BIOS. I am not an expert, but I hope OS X sees the drives as a single disk, so I can set the FileSystem and start to work.

I use my Hack for editing and it works really well (I sold my iMac 2011 to buy the parts).
I also have a Promise Pegasus which works pretty good and it's a fast alternative to internal RAID, but I would like to sold it and prefer an internal solution.

Is internal SATA going to be faster than Thunderbolt for my work?

For now I am using a Western Digital 4TB Green. Green hard drives have good performances, but they are not usually indicated for the editing (my clips are not so hard to process so, for now, everything is similar to the iMac + Promise Pegasus R4 workflow, just a little bit slower).

I hope you can help me. Thank you so much for your time.

Did you ever try this out? I am thinking about doing the same with the GA-Z87X-UD5H. Should be similar, but I wanted to know if you were able to get it to work without issues with OS X.

I was looking at the sales of newer SSDs, but saw where putting 2 older ones in RAID was faster and cheaper.

Before I buy the second drive, could you report what happened with your attempts?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back