Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Radeon VII - Repeated KP's - 10.14.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, mine just acted like that as well... Sorry about that

So far so good, it is like a must according to @pastrychef's guide. So I thought logically that might be what my config file is lacking. Will update again within 48 hours if the lag happens again.

@pastrychef, I did some research and found out about this as well. Do you think my system is necessary to implement this kext? Thanks in advance.

I never had to use AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext.

The Vega 56 is a Strix triple fan open style just like the Radeon Vii. My case and cooling is def all good, under heavy load my cpu temps are mid 30's. I wish it was something like that!

I never needed to change the cooling for my CPU but needed to improve the cooling of my case for other components like VRM and different chipsets. The difference in internal temperatures of the case when using a video card with blower style cooler vs open style cooler is noticeable. My CPU saw little to no change in temps regardless of the video card in use.

I never needed to change the cooling for my CPU but needed to improve the cooling of my case for other components like VRM and different chipsets. The difference in internal temperatures of the case when using a video card with blower style cooler vs open style cooler is noticeable. My CPU saw little to no change in temps regardless of the video card in use.
Did you managed to read Radeon VII GPU temperature with HWmonitor? I cannot seem to get it with FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext

Did you managed to read Radeon VII GPU temperature with HWmonitor? I cannot seem to get it with FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext

I use iStat Menus and have Radeon VII temp readings. It only shows the "junction temperature" but that's enough.

Use the version of FakeSMC and sensors from the EFI folder found in my Z370 build thread.

I use iStat Menus and have Radeon VII temp readings. It only shows the "junction temperature" but that's enough.

Use the version of FakeSMC and sensors from the EFI folder found in my Z370 build thread.
Are you able to read with HWMonitor?

I understand, I can assure you cooling is not the issue. Sometimes the card will do this panic within seconds of a cold startup. The computer is never on long enough to present temps which would cause a KP when the Vii is in there before it crashes lol.

In post #20 you can see my iStat grab which shows that the Vii isn't even under load when this happens, the CPU is though. A single core gets pinned @ 5.0ghz.

Last edited:
Are you able to read with HWMonitor?

Here's what it looks like in iStat Menus for me:

Screen Shot 2019-07-05 at 5.10.24 PM.png

I understand, I can assure you cooling is not the issue. Sometimes the card will do this panic within seconds of a cold startup. The computer is never on long enough to present temps which would cause a KP when the Vii is in there before it crashes lol.

In post #20 you can see my iStat grab which shows that the Vii isn't even under load when this happens, the CPU is though. A single core gets pinned @ 5.0ghz.

Have you tried without overclocking your CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back