Contribute
Register

Radeon VII (and new AMD gpus) compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you should make a new thread with these questions.

The short answer is: No, your VII is still in early release, so complications can arise. My answer would be yes if you had an RX580, Vega56/64.

Sorry, it’s been a while and I forgot this forum’s etiquette. I didn’t want to start a new thread since there’s so many about it already. I have a powercolor red devil RX580 but I wouldn’t want to do a clean install and then have to redo everything once the VII is fully supported. Or will I not have to start fresh with a clean install?

Sorry, it’s been a while and I forgot this forum’s etiquette. I didn’t want to start a new thread since there’s so many about it already. I have a powercolor red devil RX580 but I wouldn’t want to do a clean install and then have to redo everything once the VII is fully supported. Or will I not have to start fresh with a clean install?

No need to do a fresh install. Your setup will be vanilla and there are special fixes needed besides lilukext and Whatevergreenkext which are used for both cards. The only differences may be using IGPU or CPU graphics for RX 580 vs not using it for R vii. But that's just a bios setting for the most part.

Hello,
I am having problems with my 4K Dell monitor, can't get it to work without glitches. I had the problem with my RX 480, both in Mac and Windows, over DisplayPort and mDP inputs on the monitor. The same thing happens with VII in both OSs. It started when I updated the BIOS to 1704. I am also not getting good results with GeekBench, just around 145.000. I'm on Clover r4934, running the last Lilu and WhateverGreen kexts. Tried removing WhateverGreen but made no difference.

If your GPU doesn't even work properly in Windows, there's not much use trying to get MacOS to work. Are you sure your Dell is OK?

If your GPU doesn't even work properly in Windows, there's not much use trying to get MacOS to work. Are you sure your Dell is OK?
I can use it in 2560x1440 @60 or UHD 30Hz without the flickering. I was hopping for some kind of configuration in BIOS that I am not aware of.

I can use it in 2560x1440 @60 or UHD 30Hz without the flickering. I was hopping for some kind of configuration in BIOS that I am not aware of.
First, in Windows have you installed the latest AMD drivers? The Radeon VII only works well with an updated Windows 10, and the latest AMD Radeon Adrenalin drivers. Hopefully, you're not trying this in Windows 7 or 8.

Secondly, I am using 1704 BIOS, but I'm on a X299 Prime Deluxe, and with the latest AMD drivers, the Radeon VII works on Windows and Mac (although I should add that I'm on 10.14.6 Beta 2). I'm also using Clover r4934, and the very latest WhateverGreen, Lilu, AppleALC.....(BTW, Hackintool will download the latest code and compile them for you.....pretty cool, huh....!).

Third, in macOS, you should be using 10.14.5 or later (later meaning 10.14.6 betas, but my Radeon VII worked just fine on 10.4.5).

I should also add that with newer drivers and a Kernel of 5.1.5 on Linux Mint, the Radeon VII works there also. On the Mac and on Linux Mint, I get scratchy audio on the HDMI/DP connection, but not on Windows (probably because of the fact that my Windows 10 has the very latest official AMD Adrenalin Windows drivers). For those two Operating systems, I use the analog audio port and external speakers for sound.

And, after all that, if you're still having issues, you might be having a hardware problem of some sort.....that would be a bummer, but it does happen.....

Last edited:
I have 5 diplayport cables at home, tried 4 of then with the same result, including the one that came with the monitor. The 5th seens to be working. Probably 1 of then is faulty the other 3 doesn't met displaport 1.2.

MacPro will use Radeon Pro Vega II, not radeon VII :(.

These are Radeon Pro Vega II specs:

14.2 teraflops single precision

28.4 teraflops half precision

32GB of HBM2 memory

1TB/s memory bandwidth

64 compute units, 4096 stream processors

It is a bit more powerful than Radeon VII. Probably same architecture with more compute units.

You can have FOUR of them on the new MacPro!

Last edited:
Similar, but not the same.....same family of chips, but not quite identical twins.....:thumbup:.

Radeon VII

13.8 TFLOPS teraflops single precision
26.88 teraflops half precision
16GB of HBM2 memory
1TB/s memory bandwidth (same as Vega II)
60 compute units, 3840 stream processors

The big difference (it appears) is that the Vega II has double the HBM2 memory....

Last edited:
So, right now, and I mean right this minute, I am taking out a $20,000 loan on my house just so I can have that $6k monitor and a CPU, Memory and SSD that is less than what I have right now.......:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:.....geez, Apple, sign me up....

NOT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back