Contribute
Register

Radeon RX 6950 XT

Which system is the RX6950 XT installed in, X299?
Provide details of CPU, Motherboard etc. or confirm X299.

Your Graphics card is located as follows:

Screenshot 2023-06-19 at 19.19.44.png PC02.BRA2.SL05.PCI-Bridge10.PCI-Bridge0.PCI-Bridge0.GFX0

You need to use Corpnewt's SSDTTime and your system DSDT to confirm the correct names and create the necessary SSDT-bridge.aml table(s) to get the correct ACPI path for use in your SSDT-Spoof.aml table.

Post a copy of your system DSDT.aml if you want someone else to have a look at creating the SSDT's ACPI path and missing pic-bridge addresses.

@hkuser Three unnamed bridges and a non-zero address… Nice!
Here's what I read from your IOreg. If it works and does its minimal spoofing work, you may edit the SSDT to remove the _DSM method, keep only the bridging part and apply the spoof (and any other cosmetic properties) with DeviceProperties.

Otherwise, follow @Edhawk 's good advice and just use SSDTTime to automatically make a bridging SSDT.

Attachments

• SSDT-RX6950XT.aml
    193 bytes · Views: 60
  • SSDT-RX6950XT.dsl
    2 KB · Views: 48
Hello -

I am new here and also trying to get my 2020 i7 MBP to recognize my AMD RX6950xt in a Razer Chroma X egpu enclosure.

I am the first to admit this is a little over my head, but I am unable to return my card, so I would like to make my MBP recognize the card.

Is there a way to do this from my Mac? It is the only computer I have currently.

Thank you in advance.

Spoofing in a eGPU enclosure? There are ways to do this, but all have drawbacks.

@jkbuha has found that it's possible to make a SSDT which works for a eGPU by declaring every object from the PCI root onwards. But:
That is not a proper solution, however, because it eliminates the standard Thunderbolt device tree and also prevents hot plug.

You can use AMDRadeonNavi2xExt.kext (original source is the German hackintosh forum). This makes the macOS driver attach to unsupported Navi2 cards, and is a very easy, but does not work for video decoding.

Best stick to supported cards for use as eGPU.

is there a big difference in performance between the 6900 and the 6950?
asking because I am now shopping for one or the other video cards
the mother board is a Msi Mpg Z390 gaming edge AC
if there isn't then I can best assume it will be easier to just get a 6900 card.

There is around 8% difference in relative performance between the two XT cards.

This will depend on the App or Game you are using, as some Apps and Games may not use the faster VRAM available in the RX 6950 XT.

IMG_0046.jpeg
So not something you may really notice in normal processes. If the RX 6900 XT is significantly cheaper then it would be a good choice for macOS. It also means you don’t have to use a fake device-id, which the RX 6950 XT requires.

ok . so i a got a Nitro + Sapphire 6900.. ..just got to wait on the mother board from CHINA ,,fun fun.. was also looking to see if a Low Profile Video card would work.. but looking like there is none..
that will..by AMD ..and no my CPU is the none GPU ver...
the rx 550 and
the Rx 6400 Both seems to be NO goes..
correct?

Some RX550 cards are known to work in macOS. These functioning RX550 cards have a Baffin chip not the more common Lexa chip, which isn’t natively supported in macOS.

The RX6400 is not supported in macOS in any way shape or form.

You might want to have a look for a secondhand Radeon Pro WX 4100 low profile GPU. It is never going to win any GPU awards but it is a solid low profile AMD Polaris card, with 4 x mDP display out connectors. It is on a par with the RX460.

The WX 4100 cards work in Ventura and the drivers are also present in the beta for macOS Sonoma.

They can usually be found on eBay for anywhere between £45-£100 in the UK. Availability may vary significantly depending on where you are based, as will any postage and import fees/costs.

Some RX550 cards are known to work in macOS. These functioning RX550 cards have a Baffin chip not the more common Lexa chip, which isn’t natively supported in macOS.

The RX6400 is not supported in macOS in any way shape or form.

You might want to have a look for a secondhand Radeon Pro WX 4100 low profile GPU. It is never going to win any GPU awards but it is a solid low profile AMD Polaris card, with 4 x mDP display out connectors. It is on a par with the RX460.

The WX 4100 cards work in Ventura and the drivers are also present in the beta for macOS Sonoma.

They can usually be found on eBay for anywhere between £45-£100 in the UK. Availability may vary significantly depending on where you are based, as will any postage and import fees/costs.
thank you Edhawek
I will look in to that WX 4100 card as a low profile card.. yes.it doesn't need to be a superpower card like the 6900.
I only want it run my 40' or 60' inch tv for movies..
not games..
if I get one..
again thanx

Back