Contribute
Register

Radeon RX 580 Sapphire 8GB Black Screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
750 PSU is more then adequate to run your system and the card you have, Some XFX RX580 work and others have issues however, apple only lists sapphire Pulse series in their eGPU write up..

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208544

I have an XFX Vega 56 and it works great. People have been known to flash there XFX video cards with Sapphire BIOS to make them work.
Thanks a lot for the quick reply, I really appreciate it.

Goodmorning i am using a Pulse RX580 (don't know how to see the exact model number in OSX) with a simple Be Quiet 550W PS. i think the xfx cards have issues. have you tried to use whatevergreen ?

No, I didn't tried it. I have already returned the card and ordered an MSI Radeon RX-470 White ARMOR 4GB. I will keep you posted. Thanks, I really appreciate it.

I'd just like to put in my 2 cents here. I use an EVGA PSU 750W, with a Gigabyte AORUS RX580 8GB, on my Mojave Hackintosh and it works great. They say XFX ones are not recommended, although I've read in forums that for some people work ok.

Have you checked if it needs an 8-pin (or 6+2) power connector? Mine does and I have it connected with the PSU. Have you used HW monitor to see if there's overheating (whether on GPU or CPU)?

Yes, I used the 8-pin power connector. No, it did not overheat. Anyway, I have already returned the card and ordered an MSI Radeon RX-470 White ARMOR 4GB. I will keep you posted. Thanks, I really appreciate it.

I just completed my build over the weekend and all went well until the first reboot to run off the SSD. I got the black screen after the Apple logo/startup status got just over half way. I ended up updating the BIOS from I think it was F4 to F10.

I then changed some settings in the BIOS:
Internal Graphics > Disabled (I think it was set to Auto)
Seems like there was somehting else video related but don't see it now

I also played around with the settings in Clover but I'm not sure if that made a difference. It seemed like I had the black screen until the BIOS change then it worked.

Everything is working realy well now. I have to get iMessage working and I'm not sure about audio as I haven't hooked up speakers yet.

Gigabyte Z3070N WiFi
i7-8700k
WD Blue 1TB SSD
Corsair 32GB DRAM
Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX 580 8GB
Corsair RM650x PSU
Thermaltake Mini ITX Cube
Mojave

I'm not sure what exactly fixed so thank to all who posted solutions or suggestions, end result it works!

Best,
David

I'd just like to put in my 2 cents here. I use an EVGA PSU 750W, with a Gigabyte AORUS RX580 8GB, on my Mojave Hackintosh and it works great. They say XFX ones are not recommended, although I've read in forums that for some people work ok.

Have you checked if it needs an 8-pin (or 6+2) power connector? Mine does and I have it connected with the PSU. Have you used HW monitor to see if there's overheating (whether on GPU or CPU)?
I finally opted for the MSI Radeon RX 580 White ARMOR 8GB OC and everything is working fine under Movaje 10.14.1. Again, thank you!

750 PSU is more then adequate to run your system and the card you have, Some XFX RX580 work and others have issues however, apple only lists sapphire Pulse series in their eGPU write up..

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208544

I have an XFX Vega 56 and it works great. People have been known to flash there XFX video cards with Sapphire BIOS to make them work.
I finally opted for the MSI Radeon RX 580 White ARMOR 8GB OC and everything is working fine under Movaje 10.14.1. Again, thank you!

Goodmorning i am using a Pulse RX580 (don't know how to see the exact model number in OSX) with a simple Be Quiet 550W PS. i think the xfx cards have issues. have you tried to use whatevergreen ?
I finally opted for the MSI Radeon RX 580 White ARMOR 8GB OC and everything is working fine under Movaje 10.14.1. Lilu and Whatevergreen installed. Again, thank you!

I just completed my build over the weekend and all went well until the first reboot to run off the SSD. I got the black screen after the Apple logo/startup status got just over half way. I ended up updating the BIOS from I think it was F4 to F10.

I then changed some settings in the BIOS:
Internal Graphics > Disabled (I think it was set to Auto)
Seems like there was somehting else video related but don't see it now

I also played around with the settings in Clover but I'm not sure if that made a difference. It seemed like I had the black screen until the BIOS change then it worked.

Everything is working realy well now. I have to get iMessage working and I'm not sure about audio as I haven't hooked up speakers yet.

Gigabyte Z3070N WiFi
i7-8700k
WD Blue 1TB SSD
Corsair 32GB DRAM
Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX 580 8GB
Corsair RM650x PSU
Thermaltake Mini ITX Cube
Mojave

I'm not sure what exactly fixed so thank to all who posted solutions or suggestions, end result it works!

Best,
David
Hey David, you are very welcome.

For the sound:
Open Clover Configurator.
Go to Kexts Installer (the last option in the left pan).
Top menu should look like this: Partition:EFI Location:/EFI/CLOVER/kexts OS Version:Other
Download Lilu then AppleALC.
Reboot.

For the iMessage or Facetime:
Add your iCloud account, give it a few minutes so it could do it stuff.
Try iMessage or FaceTime. If they are not working do the following:
Open a Finder window and press ⌘ + Shift + G, then type /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration
Delete NetworkInterfaces.plist and Preferences then restart.
Open EFI\CloverConfig.plist with Clover Configurator, choose the same system definition.
Click a few times on both shake buttons then click OK.
Visit https://checkcoverage.apple.com and test your serial. If it’s not valid, then continue. If yes, generate another one and check validity again.
Paste the generated serial in Board Serial Number and add 5 additional characters (ie. AW7BC, CK8DA, etc.) at the end.
Open Terminal and run uuidgen. Paste the generated value into the SmUUID and save the file.
Before rebooting, run the following in Terminal:
cd ~/Library/Caches/
rm -R com.apple.Messages*
rm -R com.apple.imfoundation*
cd ~/Library/Preferences/
rm –R com.apple.iChat*
rm -R com.apple.imagent*
rm -R com.apple.imessage*
rm -R com.apple.imservice*
rm -R ~/Library/Messages/
Now close Terminal and reboot

Good luck!

Same black screen problem here - purchased a GA RX580 in exchange for my old HD6870 to be able to use Metal (WoW needs it now, and Mojave of course). Installation without problems, but when i start the system i get that annoying black screen after the Mac logo + loading bar screen.

The system does not stop, as i am still able to login and even access it via screencast from my macbook.

What i tried so far:
- (un-)checking 'InjectATI' and 'RadeonDeInit' in Clover
- set framebuffer to 'Dayman'
- installing Lilu & Whatevergreen kexts in /L/E
- installing Lilu & Whatevergreen kexts in /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other/
- enable/disable the iGPU
- changed system to 14,2
- cursing (a lot!)

more info
- system is 10.13.6 High Sierra
- display is connected to DVI and/or HDMI (have not testet DP, no adapters at hand)
- i read about diabling CSM in bios, but i did not find an option to do so

Any hint or help would be appreciated!
You have probably already solved this but I have the exact same system as you and also upgraded from an HD 6870 to a RX 580. I had the same black screen problem. The solution was to turn off CSM in the Bios. BUT finding CSM in the bios is actually tricky. You need to change the OS Type from “Other” to “Windows 8”. This will make the option for CSM appear, which should be set to “never”. With that, you should be able to boot with video. For me I do not need Lilu or WhateverGreen as I am using DVI only. No other graphics options in my config other than injectIntel. Hope this helps someone else out there with this issue.

EDIT: OK I lied, I do need Lilu for audio and WhateverGreen for hardware video encoding.

Last edited:
I just updated my graphics card from a Msi GTX 970 to a Sapphire RX 580 8GB, and I was getting black screens, I couldn't even boot from the USB drive to install Mojave.

I swapped the card to a different PCI-e slot, and it went perfectly from there. no problems, super super smooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back