Contribute
Register

Radeon RX 580 Sapphire 8GB Black Screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if some of these changes / patches would fix the same issue on a HD 7970?

The card worked out of the box with all ports on Sierra and every version of High Sierra but gives the black screen after the Apple logo. My current workaround is to login via screen sharing and put the computer to sleep. When I wake it, the HDMI output works...

I’ve tried some things like Lily and whatevergreen but with no luck. I’ve never had any issues with it before.

I’m currently using the Mac Pro 5,1 system designation which got my quick look and preview working for jpegs.

No luck for me with WhateverGreen and Lilu (I copied paste the ones of the thread).
Any other idea ? (or I did something wrong maybe...)
Precision : one of my DP screen is black from the start (no BIOS seen), the other one, I see until the Apple Logo (make a difference ?).

Last edited:
No luck for me with WhateverGreen and Lilu (I copied paste the ones of the thread).
Any other idea ? (or I did something wrong maybe...)
Precision : one of my DP screen is black from the start (no BIOS seen), the other one, I see until the Apple Logo (make a difference ?).

You have to set the PCIE card as primary in your bios. Try to connect a monitor to your internal GPU to do that at system startup.

In my case, I had to replace my old DVI cables with better quality DP and HDMI cables and then it started working just fine. That's strange because before adding the RX580 card, these cabled worked just with my old NVIDIA card.
Same here. My HDMI cable was fine with the Nvidia card, but got black screen with the RX580. Replaced it with a high speed HDMI cable and all is good again.

You have to set the PCIE card as primary in your bios. Try to connect a monitor to your internal GPU to do that at system startup.

Thanks, it is already done...
No problem for me with the HDMI (third screen, long cable : 7,5m, first price).
Only 2 first screens in DP. Begin to despair... :cry:

Good morning, I read that you successfully installed macOS 10.14 with your Pulse RX 580. May I ask your for the exact GPU model number? What PSU model are you using? The reason why I am asking for these informations is because I tried a XFX Radeon RX-580 (RX-580P427D6), but was unable to work for a straight 30 minutes. The issue was repetitive freezes and reboots. I was wondering if the problem was the card itself or an underpowered PSU(Evga SuperNova 750, 750W). Thanks.

Good morning, I read that you successfully installed macOS 10.14 with your Pulse RX 580. May I ask your for the exact GPU model number? What PSU model are you using? The reason why I am asking for these informations is because I tried a XFX Radeon RX-580 (RX-580P427D6), but was unable to work for a straight 30 minutes. The issue was repetitive freezes and reboots. I was wondering if the problem was the card itself or an underpowered PSU(Evga SuperNova 750, 750W). Thanks.
I'd just like to put in my 2 cents here. I use an EVGA PSU 750W, with a Gigabyte AORUS RX580 8GB, on my Mojave Hackintosh and it works great. They say XFX ones are not recommended, although I've read in forums that for some people work ok.

Have you checked if it needs an 8-pin (or 6+2) power connector? Mine does and I have it connected with the PSU. Have you used HW monitor to see if there's overheating (whether on GPU or CPU)?

Goodmorning i am using a Pulse RX580 (don't know how to see the exact model number in OSX) with a simple Be Quiet 550W PS. i think the xfx cards have issues. have you tried to use whatevergreen ?

I tried a XFX Radeon RX-580 (RX-580P427D6.

750 PSU is more then adequate to run your system and the card you have, Some XFX RX580 work and others have issues however, apple only lists sapphire Pulse series in their eGPU write up..

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208544

I have an XFX Vega 56 and it works great. People have been known to flash there XFX video cards with Sapphire BIOS to make them work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back