Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

me too, i don't really need computer sleep, first thing after installing any OS i disable sleep, Power prices in my resident is very cheap. So it's not a must, But functionality is a must indeed.

My system boots slower with my 380X card installed. Can I speed up the process by selecting a Framebuffer myself so it doesn't have to go through RadeonFramebuffer? Could it make a difference?

I just updated the guide to incorporate macOS Sierra changes. Most of this is still in beta / experimental state, but many people are asking about this.
I'm very confident that Apple will provide us with fully functional & stable Polaris drivers, but the old "AMD issues" (sleep/wake & boot to black screen) will be a deal breaker for many of us.

@BioSoiD: It should work by spoofing the device ID to HD 5770 ID. Details are in the first post.

@dronefriend: It never made a difference on my systems, but it's worth a try.

Is it correct that the R9 280X has a TDP of 250 W ?
Source : techpowerup.com/gpudb/2398/radeon-r9-280x
I need the 2 DP ports. 3 DP ports actually.

Maybe it's better for me to wait for RX 480 (TDP 150 W + 3 DP ports) which seems to be stable in 10.12.1 Beta now, according to user theitsage :
forums.macrumors.com/threads/dual-rx-480s-in-mac-pro-5-1-running-macos-windows-10-crossfire.1984213/page-4#post-23552785
and at forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,11578.msg33833.html#msg33833

Or go NVidia.

Last edited:
In this case, you'll want to use the generic "RadeonFramebuffer" or create your own using Clover's kext patching features, otherwise you'll lose some ports.

Hi Fl0r!an
what about R9 290X in Sierra...

You might need to boot with iGPU = Primary in Sierra. I'm not sure if this affects all systems, as the Hawaii cards are quite rare among Hackintosh users.
Besides that, drivers are still there and have more or less the same issues as in previous releases.

Could anyone please confirm if R9 280X is still OOB in Sierra and has the right FB loading for it... Thanks.
I could confirm that R9 280X is still working ootb under SIERRA - but you need of cause the right Framebufferpatch:
for me JUNSAI and HAMACHI works best for my Sapphire R9 280X:

Put this into KextsToPatch section:
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>Framebuffer JUNSAI</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>AAQAAAQDAAAAAQABAAAAABIEAwEAAAAAAAQAAAQDAAAAAQABAAAAACIFBAIAAAAAAAQAAAQDAAAAAQABAAAAABECAQMAAAAAAAQAAAQDAAAAAQABAAAAACEDAgQAAAAAAAQAAAQDAAAAAQABAAAAABAABQUAAAAAAAQAAAQDAAAAAQABAAAAACABBgYAAAAA</data>
<key>Name</key>
<string>AMD7000Controller</string>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>AAQAAAQDAAAAAQABAAAAABECBgMAAAAAAAQAAAQDAAAAAQABAAAAACEDAQQAAAAAAAQAAAQDAAAAAQABAAAAABIEBQEAAAAAAAQAAAQDAAAAAQABAAAAACABAgYAAAAABAAAABQAAAAAAQABAAAAACIFBAIAAAAAAAIAABQCAAAAAQABAAAAABAAAwUAAAAA</data>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>Framebuffer HAMACHI</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>AAQAAAQDAAAAAQEBAAAAABIEBQEAAAAAAAQAAAQDAAAAAQIBAAAAACIFBAIAAAAABAAAABQCAAAAAQMAAAAAAAAAAwYAAAAAAAgAAAQCAAAAAQQAAAAAABECAQQAAAAA</data>
<key>Name</key>
<string>AMD7000Controller</string>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>AAQAAAQDAAAAAQEBAAAAABIEBQEAAAAAAAgAAAQCAAAAAQIBAAAAACIFAQQAAAAABAAAABQCAAAAAQMAAAAAABECBgMAAAAABAAAABQCAAAAAQQAAAAAABAAAwYAAAAA</data>
</dict>

Back