Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

Wait I'm even more confused, @Stork .

A) When you mean "lost access" you didn't mean software-hardware wise - you meant that physically speaking - you do not have your 4k monitor in your possession, and that you only have two other non 4k monitors.

B) So that means that you should have no problem connecting three monitors to an rx 580 then - whether they are 4k or not?

If anyone else can post their rx 580 and frontier vega multiple monitor experiences - please do so as I am deciding between the two.

Wait I'm even more confused, @Stork .

A) When you mean "lost access" you didn't mean software-hardware wise - you meant that physically speaking - you do not have your 4k monitor in your possession, and that you only have two other non 4k monitors.
Yes, it is physically located ~450 miles away from me at this time.

B) So that means that you should have no problem connecting three monitors to an rx 580 then - whether they are 4k or not?
Correct.

If anyone else can post their rx 580 and frontier vega multiple monitor experiences - please do so as I am deciding between the two.
Check out this post > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/amd-rx580.220310/page-11#post-1744300

Here's the config.plist and a screenshot kexts, I downloaded the whole kexts folder from another site and the machine is running more smoothly than before, now when it sleeps the fans don't spin up every 30 seconds, and the DisplayPort is working, haven't tried multimonitor yet.

A big thank you!
I came across the same problem when I was using a DP cable.
I don't know which kext works, so I just downloaded all of them and drag them in the folder.
It worked!!

BTW, my setup is
i7-8700
gigabyte z370n
Sapphire Nitro RX470 4g

Hi all! I have just installed a Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB GPU into my 10.13.4 build. However, I observed the followings:

1) When using iMac18,2 SMBIOS, the system will boot into a black-screen without WhateverGreen. RadeonDeInit=YES does not help. I see there are non-black-screen reports from other guys, but I can't reproduce. Maybe it is because I am using DisplayPort?

2) Native power management is implemented according to IOReg. However, the GPU temperate frequently goes above 50C when using Chrome, and around 45C when on Desktop. It is ~20C higher than in Windows. I guess there is a problem in GPU core frequency. Is this also for you guys?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hi all! I have just installed a Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB GPU into my 10.13.4 build. However, I observed the followings:

1) When using iMac18,2 SMBIOS, the system will boot into a black-screen without WhateverGreen. RadeonDeInit=YES does not help. I see there are non-black-screen reports from other guys, but I can't reproduce. Maybe it is because I am using DisplayPort?

2) Native power management is implemented according to IOReg. However, the GPU temperate frequently goes above 50C when using Chrome, and around 45C when on Desktop. It is ~20C higher than in Windows. I guess there is a problem in GPU core frequency. Is this also for you guys?

Thanks in advance!

Did you try using iMac18,3 as SMBIOS?

Tomorrow I'll install the Sapphire RX580 Nitro+ 8GB in my Hackintosh because my XFX has broken. With macOS 10.13.4 I could boot without RadeonDeInit or any particularly kext but audio via DP wasn't working, so I used to install Lilu + Whatevergreen and it was perfect. I hope to do not need them with the Sapphire one.

My XFX was pretty hot both with Windows (around 45/50°C) and macOS (over 55°C) at idle..

Last edited:
Does anybody have experience or comment with regards to using an RX580 from an HP Omen desktop machine? It isn't branded, had 4 displayports and takes up two slots (one fan). It is much easier for me to get than one of the recommended cards, but I can't return it...

Did you try using iMac18,3 as SMBIOS?

Tomorrow I'll install the Sapphire RX580 Nitro+ 8GB in my Hackintosh because my XFX has broken. With macOS 10.13.4 I could boot without RadeonDeInit or any particularly kext but audio via DP wasn't working, so I used to install Lilu + Whatevergreen and it was perfect. I hope to do not need them with the Sapphire one.

My XFX was pretty hot both with Windows (around 45/50°C) and macOS (over 55°C) at idle..
Thanks for the reply!

I have just tried using iMac18,3 without WhateverGreen but without luck. What's your situation? Can you boot with the new GPU?

By the way, what is the status your IGPU? Is it disabled?

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply!

I have just tried using iMac18,3 without WhateverGreen but without luck. What's your situation? Can you boot with the new GPU?

By the way, what is the status your IGPU? Is it disabled?

Hi, I couldn't boot without any kext or by enabling RadeonDeInit. After the boot the Apple logo disappeared and the GPU didn't output any signal. I had to install Lilu.kext + WhateverGreen.kext and now everything is fine.
iGPU is disabled in BIOS settings because even enabling it and installing IntelGraphicsFixup.kext to let macOS recognize it, I had some problems like FCPX using it for rendering instead of using the RX580 (so it needed much more time to render a project).

Temperatures with this card are better than the previous one. It's under 55°C when using it for daily tasks (mail, browser, etc). Even while gaming on Windows it's under 80°C while before with a lower clock the XFX reachs 89°C with a lot of thermal throttling. It looks like also a little bit quieter.
The only negative things are that it needs 2.2 slots so I had to install my network card on the PCI-E slot above it (instead of using the PCI-E slot under) and while in photo it looks white and black with some gray accents it's definitely gray and black.
IMG_0973.jpg

Last edited:
anyone has a tip how to run Vega without whatevergreen or vegafixup kexts but still have Display ports and dual display working?

The only negative things are that it needs 2.2 slots so I had to install my network card on the PCI-E slot above it (instead of using the PCI-E slot under) and while in photo it looks white and black with some gray accents it's definitely gray and black.
View attachment 330516

Your build looks awesome :)

You have just reminded me to switch the GPU slot - I switched GPU to the slot near the case fan and now it never goes up above 50C :lol:

I suggest you to switch your WiFi card one slot above, to the longer empty x16 one. That will give it more space to keep cool.

Back