Contribute
Register

Radeon 6470m / 6490m Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dewitts said:
neoxeno45 said:
Hey everyone,

I'm really interested in getting the Radeon 6490m on my DV7-6135dx working (The HD3000 is glitching and crashing my system) so I'll like to share something interesting I discovered.

While having the gfxCardStatus program running, I plugged in an HDMI cable from my TV to the laptop and something strange happened. After the screen turned blue for a few seconds (longer than usual), gfxCardStatus reported that it had switched to the 6490m! I opened the console and got the following message

-[gfxCardStatusAppDelegate updateMenu] AMD Radeon HD 6490M in use. Bummer! Less battery life for you

Furthermore, the gfxCardStatus icon changed from an "i" to a "d". Unfortunately, I later confirmed that I was still using the HD3000.

I believe that maybe for a split second, the 6490m was somehow activated before returning control to the HD3000. Of course, this could all just be gfxCardStatus acting crazy when connecting to a secondary display.

What do you guys think?

When you right click on the gfxcardstatus icon it has some options but also should say hd3000... does it also say radeon 6490m??? cos ours doesn't
In console it says integrated in use unless you use ge=yes and then it doesn't recognise the hd3000 properly and it say nvidia in use bummer!
It doesn't make it work but it makes gfx status think it's changed

Initially, only the Intel HD Graphics 3000 is listed under card in the options. After connecting the cable, that listing gets replaced with AMD Radeon HD 6490m so only one card is ever present.

By the way, are you also getting the same "ATY,Display_B: Not usable" or similar message that I'm getting in the console? I get that with or without enabling graphics. Could that be the reason why it isn't being listed along side the HD3000 and therefore unable to make the switch?

blueking said:

I shall give it a whirl, maybe you should convince her to get a probook and join in the help? lol

neoxeno45 said:
Dewitts said:
neoxeno45 said:
Hey everyone,

I'm really interested in getting the Radeon 6490m on my DV7-6135dx working (The HD3000 is glitching and crashing my system) so I'll like to share something interesting I discovered.

While having the gfxCardStatus program running, I plugged in an HDMI cable from my TV to the laptop and something strange happened. After the screen turned blue for a few seconds (longer than usual), gfxCardStatus reported that it had switched to the 6490m! I opened the console and got the following message

-[gfxCardStatusAppDelegate updateMenu] AMD Radeon HD 6490M in use. Bummer! Less battery life for you

Furthermore, the gfxCardStatus icon changed from an "i" to a "d". Unfortunately, I later confirmed that I was still using the HD3000.

I believe that maybe for a split second, the 6490m was somehow activated before returning control to the HD3000. Of course, this could all just be gfxCardStatus acting crazy when connecting to a secondary display.

What do you guys think?

When you right click on the gfxcardstatus icon it has some options but also should say hd3000... does it also say radeon 6490m??? cos ours doesn't
In console it says integrated in use unless you use ge=yes and then it doesn't recognise the hd3000 properly and it say nvidia in use bummer!
It doesn't make it work but it makes gfx status think it's changed

Initially, only the Intel HD Graphics 3000 is listed under card in the options. After connecting the cable, that listing gets replaced with AMD Radeon HD 6490m so only one card is ever present.

By the way, are you also getting the same "ATY,Display_B: Not usable" or similar message that I'm getting in the console? I get that with or without enabling graphics. Could that be the reason why it isn't being listed along side the HD3000 and therefore unable to make the switch?

Mine doesn't even show ATY,display_b in IO Register mate let alone more info, I have a funny feeling your switchable graphics maybe integrated different to ours, ours is routed through the hd3000 yours might be independant... beware it may change if you upgrade your bios making it similar to our situation.

mactition said:
Graphics Testing, Observations and Conclusions

The Radeon HD 6490M is working, it provides graphics acceleration on demand, it's intended to kick in when more intensive graphics require it. Generally in Lion it's running all the time. There is technical information about this current generation config on the web if you want to know more about it.
If I'm reading mactition claim correctly Radeon is working on HP4x30S after all?

viewtopic.php?p=316886#p316886

Hmmm not so sure that's correct is it?
Maybe we can confirm the theory by 1 person with and 1 without radeon card on a fresh install (nothing to corrupt the results) using the marine aquarium program as the poster recommended which shows the running fps and compare results?
I can do it on snow leopard, I have a 2410m i5 with radeon 6470m 512mbhttp://prolific.s3.amazonaws.com/MarineAquarium3/OSX/MarineAquarium3.dmg

If someone else is going to try this please inbox me 1st

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-03-02 at 19.38.36.png
    Screen shot 2012-03-02 at 19.38.36.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 269
blueking said:
Do you have a IGPU and GFX0?

I think both are needed if you look in IOREG.

I have ipgu@2 and dgfx@0
Is that what you mean? If not, where should I look?

Dewitts said:
blueking said:
Do you have a IGPU and GFX0?

I think both are needed if you look in IOREG.

I have ipgu@2 and dgfx@0
Is that what you mean? If not, where should I look?

I'm not sure. If you look here:

scaled.php

I see there are both, so maybe it looks for those? And I don't think I've seen both in the DSDT?

Yes I have those, I know that da_beidl manually added dgfx and some code to his dsdt viewtopic.php?p=229642#p229642 there but when I tried I didn't have the same results as he did.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-03-02 at 20.53.04.png
    Screen shot 2012-03-02 at 20.53.04.png
    220.9 KB · Views: 343
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back