Contribute
Register

R9 280x poor performance in games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm having the same issue as yourself, very poor performance out of this card compared to my Windows boot. I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread or add to this one.

At first glance everything is great, card seems to work out the box but when I tested out some games, Heroes of the Storm runs at 13fps in the menus (it actually runs a bit better in the game) but also, it looks like the card isn't even being pushed to be used much according to iStat when I check during a game... In windows on this setup i get 100+ FPS in Heroes. Warcraft isn't really playable, It's very 'choppy' is all I can describe it as, with very poor FPS also around 30 fps and small glitchy freezes when I turn the character etc.

I understand games will always run better on Win vs Mac but this doesn't feel right to me as my ancient MacPro (2006 - 2x 2.66 DC Xeon) on Yosemite with an NVIDIA 670 runs both games much better.
Specs are -
CPU: i5 2400 3.4GHz
RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 280X 3GB

The R9 is being detected as AMD Radeon HD 7xxx 3072 MB on El Capitan (10.10.3), I read a couple of threads that say this is a cosmetic issue but also threads about it still causing a framebuffer issue, could this be what is giving me very low FPS in games? I was hoping someone could help me figure this out, perhaps with my Clover settings? as it's all quite new to me and it's really difficult to edit my config.plist if something breaks now that i've finally got the system 'working'.

No one? :C

Based on your last screenshot, delete AppleTyMCEDriver.kext from /System/Library/Extensions

That happens when you use certain MacPro definitions that originally use ECC ram, but of course there is no ECC ram in your build.

Delete the kext mentioned above, rebuild your caches then reboot.

This won't fix your graphics problem but it should get you past that boot error shown in the image.

The R9 is being detected as AMD Radeon HD 7xxx 3072 MB on El Capitan (10.10.3), I read a couple of threads that say this is a cosmetic issue but also threads about it still causing a framebuffer issue, could this be what is giving me very low FPS in games?

Hi, I own the ASUS R9 280X DirectCU II TOP currently and I found that the framebuffer that worked for me was Junsai. It detects the GPU just fine, however there's no difference in performance. What I will say however is that performance is indeed kind of poor, a game like CS:GO for instance has really fluctuating framerates but at the very least it's sustaining 60FPS at high settings. Deus Ex: HR however is a game that even at fairly low settings suffers from really bad hiccups, specially around big areas, while I have no issues on Windows at all maxed out. The Witcher 2 is almost unplayable. Anything outside of games though works really fine.

I'm also using the iMac 14.2 system definition because apparently for my kind of processor it's more adequate (i5 4460).

Hi, I own the ASUS R9 280X DirectCU II TOP currently and I found that the framebuffer that worked for me was Junsai. It detects the GPU just fine, however there's no difference in performance. What I will say however is that performance is indeed kind of poor, a game like CS:GO for instance has really fluctuating framerates but at the very least it's sustaining 60FPS at high settings. Deus Ex: HR however is a game that even at fairly low settings suffers from really bad hiccups, specially around big areas, while I have no issues on Windows at all maxed out. The Witcher 2 is almost unplayable. Anything outside of games though works really fine.

I'm also using the iMac 14.2 system definition because apparently for my kind of processor it's more adequate (i5 4460).

Hi,
I will change to Junsai but is sad I can't play any game without little drops. I hope someone can find a fix in near future. Everything works fine except games!
Thanks!

Hi,

I'm having the same issue as yourself, very poor performance out of this card compared to my Windows boot. I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread or add to this one.

At first glance everything is great, card seems to work out the box but when I tested out some games, Heroes of the Storm runs at 13fps in the menus (it actually runs a bit better in the game) but also, it looks like the card isn't even being pushed to be used much according to iStat when I check during a game... In windows on this setup i get 100+ FPS in Heroes. Warcraft isn't really playable, It's very 'choppy' is all I can describe it as, with very poor FPS also around 30 fps and small glitchy freezes when I turn the character etc.

I understand games will always run better on Win vs Mac but this doesn't feel right to me as my ancient MacPro (2006 - 2x 2.66 DC Xeon) on Yosemite with an NVIDIA 670 runs both games much better.
Specs are -
CPU: i5 2400 3.4GHz
RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 280X 3GB

The R9 is being detected as AMD Radeon HD 7xxx 3072 MB on El Capitan (10.10.3), I read a couple of threads that say this is a cosmetic issue but also threads about it still causing a framebuffer issue, could this be what is giving me very low FPS in games? I was hoping someone could help me figure this out, perhaps with my Clover settings? as it's all quite new to me and it's really difficult to edit my config.plist if something breaks now that i've finally got the system 'working'.

Post your config.plist maybe I can help you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back