Contribute
Register

R7 240/R7 340/HD 8570 No graphics acceleration under Catalina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,
I finally got macOS Catalina booting on my Hackintosh, however it's graphics card(which worked fine under High Sierra) is only shown as 7MB. Under High Sierra I used the following clover settings:

InjectATI ticked
FakeID: 0x67981002
FBConfig: Eulemur
Ports: 02
Load Video Bios ticked

If I use the same settings under Catalina, it just bootloops.
However once I used the settings in the 2nd Picture, Catalina booted up, and even showed the Card correctly, but without any acceleration.

The most bizzare part for me however is, that once I boot from my Catalina USB the FBConfig uses <null str like in the 3rd Picture.
What does that mean?

Any help would be appreciated greatly.
ACPI-->ticked FixDisplay (Important when using Fakeid Graphics card)
InjectATI ticked
FakeID: 0x67981002
FBConfig: Eulemur
Boot flag radpg=15
try it

I tried this and o got black screen on boot. If a remove Eulemur I can complete the boot process but without acceleration.

I tried this and o got black screen on boot. If a remove Eulemur I can complete the boot process but without acceleration.
Same result. Removing Inject ATI also seems to be able to get it to boot.

open clover configurator-->graphics-->check RadeonDelnit

I tried these settings and I get a Black screen (It's not rebooting, just seems black). I've tried inserting the ProductID and Vendor ID on the graphics section as well but it doesn't work either.

ACPI:
-->FixDisplay: ticked

Boot:
--> radpg=15

Devices:
-->FakeID ATI: 0x67981002

Graphics:
-->FB Name: Eulemur
-->Inject ATI: ticked
-->RadeonDelnit: ticked

Last edited:
I tried these settings and I get a Black screen (It's not rebooting, just seems black). I've tried inserting the ProductID and Vendor ID on the graphics section as well but it doesn't work either.

ACPI:

Boot:
--> radpg=15

Devices:

Graphics:
try not inject FB:
ACPI:

Boot:
--> radpg=15

Devices:

Graphics:

try not inject FB:
ACPI:

Boot:
--> radpg=15

Devices:

Graphics:

This boots to black screen as well. I've tried running on Mojave as well which hasn't made any difference. I also tried the following based on a ****** thread I found, but it boots to a black screen as well.

Graphics:
-->inject EDID: ticked
-->video ports=3
-->Patch VBios: ticked

If I remove Inject ATI, it loads but is unaccelerated (7MB and System information still thinks the product ID is 0x6611 (7MB).

Graphics:
-->video ports=3
-->Inject ATI: unticked

If I add VendorID and ProductID in the Graphics section it makes no difference. System Info still reports a 0x6611 (7MB).

Graphics:
-->VendorID: 0x1002
-->ProductID: 0x6798
-->video ports=3
-->Inject ATI: unticked

Removing FakeID and enabling InjectATI boots but System Info still reports a 0x6611 (7MB).

Graphics:
-->VendorID: 0x1002
-->ProductID: 0x6798
-->video ports=3

I'm guessing that the combination of FakeID and InjectATI is doing all the spoofing that we need but then the driver can't work with the hardware for some reason. Is it possible Apple removed support for these cards in the newer Kexts and I need to run an older one?

Edit: my reading seems to indicate that a black screen is a result of a framebuffer/port layout that doesn't match the physical card. Suggestion seems to be that an ATI Connectors Data and ATI Connectors Patch is required, I just don't know how to figure out the appropriate strings.

Edit #2: I'm seeing now that I shouldn't be patching via ATI Connectors Data and ATI Connectors Patch if I'm using Whatevergreen. I'm unsure where to go from here.

Last edited:
I seem to have fumbled my way into making this work (at least on Mojave). My HD8570 reports as an "AMD Radeon HD 7970", Metal is enabled and 1Gb of VRAM is detected. Only catch is that it needs to boot into Windows if the power has been turned off to work, subsequent reboots work fine. Anyone have any ideas what could be going on?

EFI\Clover\Kexts\Other:
-->Lilu.kext
-->Whatevergreen.kext

ACPI:
-->AddDTGP: ticked

Devices:

Last edited:
@flohwag did you manage to make R7 240 work under Catalina?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back