1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
This was truly a hack and slash job. I had some old parts I wanted to throw together (from a previous rig which I upgraded), and I had a case someone had given me (thanks shadowvox from ******!). So here is the parts list:

Motherboard: Gigabtye EP43-UD3L Rev 1.3
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @ 3.0 Ghz
RAM: 8GB of Patriot Extreme Gaming 800 Mhz DDR2
Graphics: Zotac Geforce GTX 560 1024MB (new part)
PSU: Corsair 600W Builder (new part)

The hard drive is a spare I had lying around, I plan on upgrading it and dual booting this in the future.

IMG_0501.jpg
Here I laid down the motherboard to make sure I could see how it aligned roughly. From this, and a ton of reading through other mod threads, I had a feel for the alignment.

IMG_0505.jpg
Here is the case with all the sides removed. Sorry I didn't get a pre-mod pic, I was in a bit of an excited hurry.

IMG_0510.jpg
Did quite a rough cut on this. I wanted to keep the audio ports, and to do so I had to give up my PS/2 Mouse and Keyboard ports (not a big loss). I also did this so the graphics card would line up nicely.

IMG_0512.jpg
JB-Weld! Time to let this sit overnight. I used the weight to help it stay in place. Unfortunately two of the five screws did not stay, but then again they were not properly mounted it turned out. No worries, there is plenty holding this board in place!

IMG_0518.jpg
I had a debate in another thread on how to solve this problem. I made the right choice and trimmed the case and not the motherboard (YAY!). Now, when I close the case, the motherboard does not get caught there in the corner.

IMG_0521.jpg
Because of the alignment of the motherboard, I had to bend the case in a little at the top so as to make clearance for the PS/2 ports even though I am not using them.

IMG_0522.jpg
Here is the front panel board. I have to cut the connections to prevent shorts, and I have to solder the proper buttons.

IMG_0524.jpg
Soldering and cutting done! I think I messed up on the top power button, later testing revealed it didn't work. No worries, I just switched the plugs for the reset button plugs, worked like a charm. I think white is positive and blue is negative.

IMG_0528.png
Here is the back of the case after all the parts were cleaned and reassembled. Closes and opens just fine. The only small issue I have with opening it is that it needs a little jimmying, but that is ok.

IMG_0533.jpg
This is the final (mostly) pic of the inside. This power supply is not modular, so I have a mess of cables that I will have to "clean up" later.

Overall, this was a very straight forward and easy mod. The only downside are the temps. Man, they do get a little higher than I like. Nothing is overclocked, but it is poor design to have the PSU directly across from the CPU. Even with fans pushing air towards the CPU (I have one mounted in the CD bay) it is still warm in there. When I opened up the case to check everything, I could feel the heat leaving the case. Without keeping the beautiful design, I could put wholes everywhere. However, I like the design too much to do anything =p.

Attachments

• IMG_0501.jpg
    IMG_0501.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3,557
  • IMG_0505.jpg
    IMG_0505.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3,610
  • IMG_0510.jpg
    IMG_0510.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3,122
  • IMG_0512.jpg
    IMG_0512.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2,559
  • IMG_0518.jpg
    IMG_0518.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 2,496
  • IMG_0521.jpg
    IMG_0521.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,413
  • IMG_0522.jpg
    IMG_0522.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 2,418
  • IMG_0524.jpg
    IMG_0524.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 2,420
  • IMG_0533.jpg
    IMG_0533.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2,542
  • IMG_0528.png
    IMG_0528.png
    5.9 MB · Views: 5,844
Sweet. I'm trying to acquire a Quicksilver to do precisely the same thing (full ATX mod, that is). One suggestion: you might want to move the PSU and rip out its bracket, and actually mount it somehow to the motherboard tray door in the empty space next to the motherboard, if it will fit. This guy did that on a Graphite, so as to make space for the CPU, but he was using a mATX board, so it may not work for you (or me).

Keep me posted with your progress. You'll make an excellent test subject :p

Hi Blah101,
So you fitted it all in there!
That top switch - I bet it does work (not much can go wrong in a tact switch), but the hot wire probably didn't work because of conflicts on some of the traces on the board meaning it wouldn't let you switch to ground completely. If you ever want to sort it out then my thread on wiring the switch board might help:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=58081&hilit=quicksilver+switch

On the temp issue I can't see what you did for a PSU. The normal PSU takes heat from the top of the case and exhausts it and with the fan placement it shouldn't really rob air from your CPU. I find in these cases it also helps to have the bottom case fan turned around to act as an intake - I don't know why, but on all the earlier G4s it WAS set as an intake, but for the QS they turned it to act as exhaust......many hacks though will function cooler with it set as intake (i.e. fan label/wires visible through the fan grill).

minihack said:
Hi Blah101,
So you fitted it all in there!
That top switch - I bet it does work (not much can go wrong in a tact switch), but the hot wire probably didn't work because of conflicts on some of the traces on the board meaning it wouldn't let you switch to ground completely. If you ever want to sort it out then my thread on wiring the switch board might help:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=58081&hilit=quicksilver+switch

On the temp issue I can't see what you did for a PSU. The normal PSU takes heat from the top of the case and exhausts it and with the fan placement it shouldn't really rob air from your CPU. I find in these cases it also helps to have the bottom case fan turned around to act as an intake - I don't know why, but on all the earlier G4s it WAS set as an intake, but for the QS they turned it to act as exhaust......many hacks though will function cooler with it set as intake (i.e. fan label/wires visible through the fan grill).

For now, this is the only picture I have taken of the PSU.
IMG_0532.jpg

There is an intake fan below it as you can see. The PSU is not really taking air in properly because the fan is facing a sheet of metal (it is not perforated in anyway). I will have a look at the front panel board, I may have forgotten to cut some traces.

Attachments

• IMG_0532.jpg
    IMG_0532.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,344
For my Sawtooth mod I turned the intake fan into an exhaust fan. It seems to run cooler than as an intake. The fan you have set up to blow across the board is a good idea as well too.

roto31 said:
For my Sawtooth mod I turned the intake fan into an exhaust fan. It seems to run cooler than as an intake. The fan you have set up to blow across the board is a good idea as well too.

My temps are slightly better, I haven't tried the exhaust fan idea yet. It just bothers me a bit that my CPU idles around 55 and that the highs are around 70, that is a little high for my liking. I was thinking of getting all closed water cooling loop instead of using the stock cooler. Any thoughts?

I don't know. I mean watercooling is a relatively high expense for something that kind of fell together because you just had the parts available. It's also a relatively old mobo to be spending money on.
If you are thinking about keeping the case and then putting a new build into it then maybe it is worth you investing in the Quicksilver a little bit....but I guess if that is the case you really need to think about where the radiator will go and how it is going to get the air to cool it. Watercooling is not a magical solution and still needs effective airflow for it to work well.

minihack said:
I don't know. I mean watercooling is a relatively high expense for something that kind of fell together because you just had the parts available. It's also a relatively old mobo to be spending money on.
If you are thinking about keeping the case and then putting a new build into it then maybe it is worth you investing in the Quicksilver a little bit....but I guess if that is the case you really need to think about where the radiator will go and how it is going to get the air to cool it. Watercooling is not a magical solution and still needs effective airflow for it to work well.

Oh, no no, I didn't mean like that! I meant something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835209049

On a side note, in my about mac panel when I click more info, I have the the serial number and it registers as a Power Mac G4 Quicksilver 2002, but the image is still that of a Aluminum case and not the plastic one I have. Can I change that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back