MSI Z97 Gaming 5
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
GTX 1070
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello.
I'm a professional video designer, and i always worked with my trusty Mac Pro Mid-2010 (Maxed out build).
It has served me well, but now it's too slow and old for my current needs.
I can't afford a Mac Pro (2013) and the current Imac/Macbook Pro hardware isn't enough for my needs.
Considering i only have 2 passions (My job and hi-end computer gaming), i decided to build a powerful system that would allow me to accomplish both tasks.
I have read the installation guide and i purchased compatible hardware for the most part (i only experimented with the ram)

Here's my current configuration:

- Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0 GHz
- Corsair H100i (CPU Liquid Cooling)
- MSI Z97 Gaming 5
- Seasonic 750 Watt PSU
- Gigabyte GTX 980 Gaming G1 4GB
- Ram 32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z 2133 Mhz
- Windows 8.1 (on one hard disk)
- 4X Crucial M550 SSDs

I think i'll be able to try to build a hackintosh, but there are some things that worry me (considering how much i spent on the hardware) and i'd like you to kindly answer to some questions.

1- In case there will be some problems (like compatibility) preventing OS X (10.10.2) to work properly i can easily format the drive and go back using windows only, but could that actually damage the hardware, even in the slightest way? (Compatibility Problems)

2- Can BIOS be accessed before booting up (just like you'd normally do on a windows PC)?

3- Is there a way to build a osx partition (i already have installed win 8.1 on an other drive) and to somehow choose which system to use upon turning the computer on? (Basically the opposite of bootcamp, which installs windows AFTER you already have osx)

Thank you so much for your patience and i'll be grateful to anyone keen to help me.

1. No it won't
2. Yes!
3. Yes that's possible, but i would recommend using a separate hard drive for OS X since this would cause much less problems

Thank you for your reply :)

Of course i'd install OS X in a separate hard drive.
By the way, know any way to make that "Double Boot Choiche" system possible? I did a bit of research, but i couldn't find anything satisfactory. (In case there's no practical way i could do that with the boot menu; a bit annoying, but it would do the trick)

Thank you again.

Thank you for your reply :)

By the way, know any way to make that "Double Boot Choiche" system possible?

Search this site for 'dual boot'. There are several guides on how to do it depending on what OSs and boot loaders you plan to use. It's not that difficult, especially if you plan to use separate drives for the OSs.

-bth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back