Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello, I am building my computer and had a few questions regarding dual booting. Would you recommend that I use boot camp to be able to dual boot windows, or should I use clover to dual boot? Or is there a better way that I am not aware of? Also in terms of setting up the Hackintosh, would you recommend that I install windows first to ensure all computer components are working properly, or would you suggest I go straight to installing MacOS? Thanks a lot for the help.

Would you recommend that I use boot camp to be able to dual boot windows, or should I use clover to dual boot?
You have hardware designed to run Windows therefore no need for bootcamp. Just install it like you normally would. Yes, if you install Windows UEFI you can dual boot with Clover. That's what it's designed for.
would you recommend that I install windows first to ensure all computer components are working properly, or would you suggest I go straight to installing MacOS?
Either way is fine, just make sure to disconnect the macOS drive when installing Windows and vice versa.

So your recommendation would be to get Windows up and running properly first, then installing MacOS after?

By drive, do you mean the bootable drive? Or do you mean the actual SSD or HDD that I am using?

By drive, do you mean the bootable drive? Or do you mean the actual SSD or HDD that I am using?
The SSD or HDD.. For example if you install macOS first, install Clover to the macOS drive's EFI partition and then install Windows, the Windows install will likely mess with the macOS EFI partition. If the macOS drive is not even connected, nothing happens to it. It's like putting two kids that fight into separte rooms with locked doors. They can't do anything to each other as long as they're separate.

Okay, so if I understand correctly MacOS and Windows cant be installed on the same SSD?

Okay, so if I understand correctly MacOS and Windows cant be installed on the same SSD?
They could be installed on the same HFS+ formatted SSD/HDD, but it is not recommended due to difficulty/corruption issues when Windows Update is run. It is not recommended. I have not tried it with the new Apple APFS formatting, but it would probably run into the same issues. Separate drives is best. Physically disconnecting cable or disabling the drive port in UEFI/BIOS recommended when doing updates to either OS. Even better, use a hot swap bay and only have one OS drive installed at a time. Star tech makes them to go in an empty optical bay drive and also in an empty PCI expansion slot if you do not have optical bay slot in your case.

So your guide from 2016 on Multibooting UEFI no longer works then? Or just isn't advised? Because that one walks through doing it on one drive, but I just want to make sure I do it the right way.

So your guide from 2016 on Multibooting UEFI no longer works then? Or just isn't advised? Because that one walks through doing it on one drive, but I just want to make sure I do it the right way.
Multi-booting on one drive is always doable but unrecommended.

See first sentence of post #6. Because you can does not mean you should.

Alright so I got Windows all up and running on my SSD. So technically if I install my MacOS on my HDD it shouldn’t mess with any of the Windows content on the SSD? Also when I get everything up and running, am I able to partition my HDD and use half of it as storage for stuff downloaded on the windows side? Or should I keep them both completely separate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back