Contribute
Register

Question about dual booting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright so I got Windows all up and running on my SSD. So technically if I install my MacOS on my HDD it shouldn’t mess with any of the Windows content on the SSD? Also when I get everything up and running, am I able to partition my HDD and use half of it as storage for stuff downloaded on the windows side? Or should I keep them both completely separate?
You can do it that way, yes. You can partition the HDD and use part of it for shared storage if you want, depending on how you format it. Win10 cannot read the Mac drive - will not even show it as being there. Mac side can read the Win10 NTFS drive and will see it, but cannot write to it without 3rd party software (known to corrupt your data, so I do not recommend it). About the only format for both is FAT32 - both Mac and Windows can read/write to it.

Okay, so to install should I just follow the Catalina installation guide? Or is there a different guide I need to follow to ensure I don't mess with the Windows installation on my SSD?

Okay, so to install should I just follow the Catalina installation guide? Or is there a different guide I need to follow to ensure I don't mess with the Windows installation on my SSD?
You can follow the Catalina installation guide, just make sure you only have the disk your installing to attached.

So I went to try to boot and install, and when I choose Boot macOS Install from Install macOS Catalina it loads the apple with the progress bar as normal then it just gets stuck at the very end. I turned on USB ownership and injection, but it’s still happening. Any tips?

So I went to try to boot and install, and when I choose Boot macOS Install from Install macOS Catalina it loads the apple with the progress bar as normal then it just gets stuck at the very end. I turned on USB ownership and injection, but it’s still happening. Any tips?

Do you have the one drive connected?, the one you're installing to?.

Yes I have my hard drive connected. I have disconnected my SSD

How would I go about doing that? I can’t get to disk utility because it gets stuck in the step before I actually get to “recovery” mode

And when you refer to drive, do you mean my hard drive? Or my USB Drive?

Boot from the "External" drive, your USB installer, into Recovery first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back