Contribute
Register

Proposed ProTools HD Sandy Bridge Hack

Status
Not open for further replies.
RonT said:
Congrats! You are the second confirmed SB PTHD PCI-X user.

Your motherboard would not fit my needs but glad that you are a happy camper. :headbang:

Something inside my head told me that the build was going to work... but a bit late for being the first one :p .
Anyway, really happy indeed...

mikonmac said:
What about Mac OS X ?
Have you almost tried to install it or not?
I had a lot of problems to put OS X on this board! After a lot of tries mobo died and now I'm still waiting for the replacemet one.
With Win 7 64 bit there was non problem to get it work, I'm curious to know if my troubles where due to hardware problem on mobo or not.

Sorry... as I said previously, no hacking over here.
Good luck with your build anyway... have you got any new info about it?

UPDATE:

I tried to edit the DSDT (thanks to john_neg for his help), but that didn't change anything, I still got DAE error -9162 and couldn't start Pro Tools HD. Then I switched the mainboard to an ASUS P8B-C/4L, and suddenly Pro Tools booted without errors! But, and that's a big BUT, playback doesn't work as it should. :( The sound is looping and there's heavy distortion on Mac OS. On Windows everything's running fine and smooth, even smoother as I imagined it to be!

So it seems I'm running out of options, and I'm seriously considering buying a Magma chassis and a Mac Pro right now. So if anyone is interested in my Supermicro X9SCA-F or my ASUS P8B-C4L just send me a message.

Regards, JK

lorudess said:
lorudess said:
Next update to W7 64 bits/ PT HD9 in a few months... working flawlessly on PT 7.4 so far.

This is not special at all. Every legacy PCI board works with Windows and Pro Tools HD. The art is getting it to work with Mac OS.

-JK- said:
UPDATE:

I tried to edit the DSDT (thanks to john_neg for his help), but that didn't change anything, I still got DAE error -9162 and couldn't start Pro Tools HD. Then I switched the mainboard to an ASUS P8B-C/4L, and suddenly Pro Tools booted without errors! But, and that's a big BUT, playback doesn't work as it should. :( The sound is looping and there's heavy distortion on Mac OS. On Windows everything's running fine and smooth, even smoother as I imagined it to be!

So it seems I'm running out of options, and I'm seriously considering buying a Magma chassis and a Mac Pro right now. So if anyone is interested in my Supermicro X9SCA-F or my ASUS P8B-C4L just send me a message.

Regards, JK

Did you try the tip from RonT about that a couple pages ago? I had that and a USB issue that MAY both require DSDT edits to fully correct.

From RonT - "I had this problem and I had to change the hard disk buffer to 4 in the playback engine setup."

FrakkingMac said:
-JK- said:
UPDATE:

Regards, JK

Did you try the tip from RonT about that a couple pages ago? I had that and a USB issue that MAY both require DSDT edits to fully correct.

From RonT - "I had this problem and I had to change the hard disk buffer to 4 in the playback engine setup."

Thanks for the tip! I just tried different settings, but unfortunately none of them solved the problem. They did change the length of the loop though, however the distortion was still there. I did edit my DSDT with help from john_neg down to an error list of 2 warnings which we both couldn't fix. Anyone else wanna give it a try?

I see that many people (almost all) have such problems on server MB
what is the main difference between server MB and standard?

I'm afraid that the main problem is the Avid drivers for PT
I tried 8 and 9 version but no results

don't think the problem with PCI itself because system passed digitest OK
just PT not launch

any suggestions?

-JK- said:
FrakkingMac said:
[quote="-JK-":2zjtuou0]UPDATE:

Regards, JK

Thanks for the tip! I just tried different settings, but unfortunately none of them solved the problem. They did change the length of the loop though, however the distortion was still there. I did edit my DSDT with help from john_neg down to an error list of 2 warnings which we both couldn't fix. Anyone else wanna give it a try?[/quote:2zjtuou0]

Sux JK that you are having issues. You stuck in there much longer than I did! Lol, I built two systems that did not work, threw in the towel and been rocking on the 1156 platform everysince.

Before you go and spend 6kon Magma and Mac Pro, have you considered going for an H55 system?. I can report that my system has been stable every since I changed a couple of settings in PT. One reboot and everything has been working very very very good. It's pretty damn fast too and I only have HD (No SSD).

My system is plenty fast for all of you DAW needs and only cost ~$750 to build. Just a thought.

Two things you can try,

1. Try only using half of the cores in PT.
2. Turn off Hyper-Threading in BIOS.

If you are having the same problem with both motherboards,...maybe it's ram or even an HD that is too slow?....

Are you using retail Protools 9 HD with lastes CS updates? I tried that hacked version of PT9HD floating around but quickly upgraded my 8 for $350 while keeping my 8 backup on seperate ilok. That hacked 9 is buggy as crap.

RonT said:
Sux JK that you are having issues. You stuck in there much longer than I did! Lol, I built two systems that did not work, threw in the towel and been rocking on the 1156 platform everysince.

Before you go and spend 6kon Magma and Mac Pro, have you considered going for an H55 system?. I can report that my system has been stable every since I changed a couple of settings in PT. One reboot and everything has been working very very very good. It's pretty damn fast too and I only have HD (No SSD).

My system is plenty fast for all of you DAW needs and only cost ~$750 to build. Just a thought.

Two things you can try,

1. Try only using half of the cores in PT.
2. Turn off Hyper-Threading in BIOS.

If you are having the same problem with both motherboards,...maybe it's ram or even an HD that is too slow?....

Are you using retail Protools 9 HD with lastes CS updates? I tried that hacked version of PT9HD floating around but quickly upgraded my 8 for $350 while keeping my 8 backup on seperate ilok. That hacked 9 is buggy as crap.

I know, 1156 is still an option, it's just really frustrating that it doesn't want to work with Sandy Bridge. I do have the retail version of Pro Tools 9 HD installed. This is a bundle license by the way which means you can use Pro Tools 9 and 8 at the same time, so no need to keep a backup.

JK, can you upload the DSDT and identify the bios version? I have the same mobo and same issue in OSX only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back