Contribute
Register

Proposed ProTools HD Sandy Bridge Hack

Status
Not open for further replies.
RonT said:
the3030club said:
Sounds like a lot of you guys are going through a ton of trouble trying to get a working PCI HD rig .. why??

Why not dump the pci cards and get hd native?

Is it really worth all of this for HEAT?

Even an HD3 PCIe can't TOUCH a i7-2600's native processing power.

I'm curious if you are aware that a TDM system can use Native power for RTAS duties?

Do you even know the benefits of a TDM system especially for tracking?

Yeah, that´s the point... if you already have the HD cards, why not getting (hopefully) a really powerful and hybrid HD/Native system. You will have the best of both worlds...

FrakkingMac said:
the3030club said:
If you were doing serious recording projects you'd realize the shortcomings of HD Native really quickly.

That's awfully presumptuous of you.

Here's my album credits discography for what it's worth.

http://albumcredits.com/Profile/556750

and here's a more complete disco from my website:

http://the3030club.nfshost.com/Discography/

technically adding a v8 motor to space shuttle would make it "more powerful"

To the others. Yes i'm well aware of the benefits's of tracking on a TDM rig. As someone who has owned an HD3 on a mac pro since 2006 ii'm plenty familiar.

It's just totally not worth it for my workflow. I don't need plugins when i track .. so i've got no latency in native, and 1,000,000 plugins is enough for me, i don't need the 1,100,000 that 3 hulking fossil cards give me.

I've got a rack of neve's .. that's all the heat i need. and incase it isn't .. i'll use this:

http://www.mellowmuse.com/SATV.html

Anyway, i commend those of you trying to make this work .. you're more determined and patient that i am.

Keep up the good work :)

Ouch, my response came across much more harshly than it was intended. Of course, the tone was no worse than your 'why bother' post that prompted the response. I was actually referring to serious tracking (a term used interchangeably with recording) projects - specifically where multiple cue mixes are used, etc.

With native once you've increased your buffer size past 64 you can no longer handle cue mixes properly.

Two weeks ago I was doing a mix where the guitarist called and wanted to recut a couple parts. Impossible to do with a native rig unless you're okay with that single, dry HD Native cue mix. Admittedly, that would have been okay for me as I have racks of good outboard and eight feet of console spread before me that I could patch and monitor through, but I'm honestly using the console less and less for that sort of thing thanks to TDM. Now that I'm using heat, I'm mixing through it less too. Usually 16 channels of stems, if anything.

I ran natively for several years by using my console. I can't handle the latency with a buffer of even 128 on a native rig monitoring through the software.

The project that promted this upgrade path for me was running my HD system into 90% CPU range on my quad. Just for kicks I switched to native with my Fireface - could not even play. CPU maxed out. That's one other thing people don't consider - TDM systems can usually be running at 512 or above at all times because it doesn't matter. That means my CPU's are barely being taxed at a point a comparable native system is starting to push due to low buffer settings.

Anyway, just clarifying.

Oh, and in the 15 years I've been recording professionally it's possible I've racked up a credit or two somewhere, I'm sure. ;-)
Honestly, I do appreciate the balls of posting your credits here, though. This is one of only two forums that I DON'T post under my real name and won't.

FrakkingMac said:
Mobo is here. Prossy and RAM Friday.

ASUS C202
Xeon 1270
8400GS
SIIG PCI 1394a

Any news about your build (ASUS C202-i7 or ASUS C202-1270)?
Thx :)

lorudess said:
FrakkingMac said:
Mobo is here. Prossy and RAM Friday.

ASUS C202
Xeon 1270
8400GS
SIIG PCI 1394a

Any news about your build (ASUS C202-i7 or ASUS C202-1270)?
Thx :)

i7 is a no-go. i3 is supported or Xeon.

Anyone that can help the cause with some DSDT help?

Any idea what kext is needed for 8400gs graphics? I'm stuck at 1024x768 using the NVEnabler.

FrakkingMac said:
Any idea what kext is needed for 8400gs graphics? I'm stuck at 1024x768 using the NVEnabler.
You don't need any kexts, this card is supported by GraphicsEnabler. However, in some cases you may need to change his PciRoot or create a custom EFI String.

But let's keep this thread on topic, there are other parts of this forum for basic installation issues.

UPDATE 3rd, July

Okay, I've had some steps in the right direction with EasyBeast and 10.6.8.

Cards are recognized and the system loads PTHD. DSP is working correctly. It plays and the cursor keeps moving along, but it loops the audio in the buffer (repeating the first couple seconds of wherever I start playback) throughout the entire playback time.

Seems like I'd read about this before recently, but I don't remember the solution.

Ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back