Contribute
Register

Project: Quicksilver Power Mac i7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Always pick up a Mac when it's free! Even if you don't end up modding it yourself, it's always good for parts for other mods and, if nothing else, you can always find someone who wants it again and save it from the landfill.

On another topic, I'm getting ready to start a major round of modding this weekend. I've got my second Quicksilver chassis stripped down to the bare metal and I'm test-fitting the larger radiator, as well as a new hard drive cage, and marking where I need to cut. I've come to a dilemma, though: since doing my original Quicksilver mod, a graphite Sawtooth G4 has also come into my possession. Personally, I have always liked the older G4 case better (and probably would have gone this route in the first place if I had the machine at the time I started this project) but I'm not sure if I should switch gears and build that as my primary rig or keep going the Quicksilver route. Since the bulk of the work has to be redone at this point anyways, I have pretty much a clean slate to start with. The Quicksilver is a little easier to mod for modern components, in my opinion, and the silver color does look better with my modern Apple aluminum keyboard/mouse/monitor, but I keep gravitating back towards the graphite.

So I figured, as you guys are the modding experts, I'd ask the forum what route you think I should go for the next build: a far improved and perfected Quicksilver Mk. II, or a Sawtooth that incorporates the improvements I was planning to make. And before someone says to do both... lol... well, that may happen someday, but right now I am focusing on getting one case as close to perfect as my primary system and trying to reduce the excess of random computers running around my house. Any thoughts are appreciated!

I'd say go with whichever one you've already put the most work into. or maybe you could borg the best features of each case into a single case, so long as it comes out cool that would be great. You could call it your frankentosh system.

I didn't get the freebie G4 system I mentioned earlier. I work on saturdays and sundays, and when I checked CL again on monday the ad had been deleted.

I'd say go with whichever one you've already put the most work into. or maybe you could borg the best features of each case into a single case, so long as it comes out cool that would be great. You could call it your frankentosh system.

Well, that's pretty much a given at this point! The internal layout of the Quicksilver (specifically the "shelf" in the middle of the case, and the exhaust fan cage) are much nicer to work around modern components than the ones in the Sawtooth. I'd be switching around a lot of internal parts to make an "ultimate" G4 chassis for my mATX build. I'm also looking at taking the latch mechanism out of an MDD (a hideous case in the otherwise excellent G4 era, in my opinion) and working it in to replace the plastic one in the Quicksilver. Mostly, I'm trying to decide what the outside of the case should look like because I do want to keep it looking stock. I like things about both. The silver color works better with all the aluminum Apple peripherals, and the minimalist front of the Quicksilver is nice, but I somewhat prefer the overall layout of the Sawtooth's front bezel and the graphite color is neutral enough to not look out of place.

My roommate, who hates all things Apple (though I secretly suspect this is mostly because he enjoys pushing my buttons), popped in to take a look at the whole setup with the Sawtooth in place. Aside from a comment that both cases would look better without the Apple logo on the side, he feels strongly that the Quicksilver looks better overall. I should probably stop over-analyzing and just keep going down that path, it sounds like!

Well, that's pretty much a given at this point! The internal layout of the Quicksilver (specifically the "shelf" in the middle of the case, and the exhaust fan cage) are much nicer to work around modern components than the ones in the Sawtooth. I'd be switching around a lot of internal parts to make an "ultimate" G4 chassis for my mATX build. I'm also looking at taking the latch mechanism out of an MDD (a hideous case in the otherwise excellent G4 era, in my opinion) and working it in to replace the plastic one in the Quicksilver. Mostly, I'm trying to decide what the outside of the case should look like because I do want to keep it looking stock. I like things about both. The silver color works better with all the aluminum Apple peripherals, and the minimalist front of the Quicksilver is nice, but I somewhat prefer the overall layout of the Sawtooth's front bezel and the graphite color is neutral enough to not look out of place.

My roommate, who hates all things Apple (though I secretly suspect this is mostly because he enjoys pushing my buttons), popped in to take a look at the whole setup with the Sawtooth in place. Aside from a comment that both cases would look better without the Apple logo on the side, he feels strongly that the Quicksilver looks better overall. I should probably stop over-analyzing and just keep going down that path, it sounds like!

I say go B&W G3 the best tower case Apple ever made!

Sorry to revive this, but I'm a newbie and have learned more from the descriptiveness and picture illustrations than any other forum. I'm an English teacher, and my perspective is that this is a model for how forums should develop that intend to be instructive. Good job of explaining how to set up a quiksilver, which may not end up being my first hackintosh after lurking on this web site for several months. I signed up to say this, Greg T.

Hello!
It's very interesting.
I want to repeat your feat but my motherboard is ATX.
Could you please tell me how to remove the back plastic part? (where you made the hole for power cable)

Also thank you for the serail number tip:
Screen Shot 2014-02-14 at 15.12.47.png
Worked for me in Mavericks.
About the build : :clap::clap::clap:
Way to go, dude! :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back