Contribute
Register

Project: G5 Unlocked. Updated 15/6!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Project: G5 Unlocked. Updated 1/5!

nikkokick said:
About the last picture, 8pin is also white sleeving, it's just the lightning wasn't the best in my room when I took the picture so the 8pin had shadows over them, therefor they look a little grayish! :p

But you are going with regular plastic-sleeve and not paracord, right? :)

Best Regards
/Nikkop
Oh I see, it's the shadow :D

No it's not plastic-sleeve, sry didn't find the translation for paracord, you mean textile instead of plastic? Sry my englisch is not so good to say that clearly, but what I can say is, that MDPC don't uses plastic sleeve. I will order it there ;)

Yeah I think Titanium Grey and White will look pretty good, I hope so :crazy: :D

edit: I would love to see more pictures of your sleeving :thumbup:

edit2: I've seen, that the MDPC sleeving is plastic. Do you have plastic or paracord? (Found out what paracord means :) ). Which one do you prefer?

Hey nikko, any update of your sleeving?

I didn't buy the sleeving parts yet, can't still decide of color :D

I have a question, is there a special reason why you choose paracord sleeving instead of MDPC? Or was it just of the price?

Coupz said:
edit2: I've seen, that the MDPC sleeving is plastic. Do you have plastic or paracord? (Found out what paracord means :) ). Which one do you prefer?

I have the paracord and I'm satisfied with it. However, having white paracord and cables with different colors can make the white cables vary in color-tint a little bit. So think of that before you decide!

Coupz said:
Hey nikko, any update of your sleeving?

I didn't buy the sleeving parts yet, can't still decide of color :D

I have a question, is there a special reason why you choose paracord sleeving instead of MDPC? Or was it just of the price?

Sorry for not answering until now, I've been in Germany this week and I came home this morning.

The reason I chose paracord from my sponsor was because I wanted to try it out instead of plastic sleeving. So it depends on what you'd like yourself! :) Hehe. Paracord is fun!
Be sure to let me know what you decide to choose!

However, I've done an update now on the first page! It's about the I/O on the back of the case :)

Check it out! Go to the first page and search for "update 11/5".

Re: Project: G5 Unlocked. Updated 16/5!

This project has been updated today 16/5. Please use the search function for your browser and search for "Update 16/5" on the first page of this thread, to start on the new update, cheers!

Tomorrow is a red day and the same week that the project will be finished, so it will come up a number of updates one after another. Tomorrow it will be at least one, maybe two, otherwise they fall in on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, and the project will be done!

Looking forward to it!

Best Regards
Nikkop

Re: Project: G5 Unlocked. Updated 18/5!

This project has been updated today 18/5. Please use the search function for your browser and search for "Update 18/5" on the first page to start on the new update, cheers!

This project has been updated today 15/6. Please use the search function for your browser and search for "Update 15/6" on the first page to start on the new update, cheers!

Hi!
Im back!

I noticed a while ago that TonyMacx86 have gotten a new forum!
Looks nice, but there's a problem. The maximum characters per post is 20.000 and my first post has 35.000 characters. This means I can't change the contect of that first post because it tells me that I have too many characters. However I can keep it how it is.

So unfortunately I will have to post my update here, let's go!:

So now I'm finally on the right tracks again!
I've been without a motherboard for months but now I've completed my rig and can continue this project and end it!

My last motherboard decided to die while I had a lot of study to do before graduation. After graduation I went to Hong Kong for two weeks, where I enjoyed the Chinese technology! (And other things too, of course).
After HongKong I continued my half-time job I've had since April, while I was looking at a new apartment to move up and start studying at the university in a town far away from where I lived. I moved to a city named "Trollhättan", which stands for "Troll Cap". Very strange name indeed.

Of course school started really hard and it is difficult to find free time now that you are studying full time at the university and just recently began to live with your partner :) But I try as best as I can to get some free time!

Anyway, I sent my motherboard on the warranty issue and would get one back, instead I could put money in between and get a more expensive motherboard.

Anyway, sent my Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 and chose an Asus Maximus V GENE Z77. As you can imagine, so this also meant that I switched from AMD to Intel. I will now use an Intel i7 3770K for this project.

Why? I loved my AMD more than anything else (excluding non-technical stuff, heh), but I wanted to change to m-ATX (something they are short on at AMD) at the same time I felt I wanted to dump my video card and run GPU loose! (running the Intel HD 4000). I'm not an AMD nor Intel fanboy, so the change wasn't hard.

Enough about me and my little time I have been away from this project! :) Let's get down to business.
So I thought I would update my dear project which is near its end! :)

So I thought we start gently with some pictures! Other than that the chassis is basically finished, what remains is the assembly, installation of OS / Theme and testing of the products I have been provided with.

Let's go!

Here's a package I've been looking forward to!
19613052.jpg

Let's explore what is found inside.
60415272.jpg

53110424.jpg

And here we see the stately Intel Core i7 3770k from Dustin!
The delivery went very quickly, had it the next day.
39143136.jpg

Inside the package contains the standard processor and its matching processor fan. (And paper and sticker).
34646440.jpg

Front and back of the processor - Looking good!
54245158.jpg

As I said before I got me a new motherboard. It became an Asus Maximus GENE V Z77.
I'm not a big fan of "ROG theme" as I prefer colors other than red, but apart from that it seems to be a very nice and competent motherboard!
75957164.jpg

75957164.jpg

So I wanted to show something that I did not show with my previous motherboard, and that is how to mount the Antec Kühler H20 920th
While it comes with an instruction booklet, it's always easier to understand when there are real pictures taken where they're demonstrated :)
34477165.jpg

These pictures will show you how to assemble for an Intel system.

Here we have the assembly for which the CPU block will sit clamped and the bit that should sit in the back of the motherboard.

Insert the blue plastic bits so the "catch" pointing inwards.
Insert the "nuts" in the right hole for the socket you use (it is marked with numbers).

As you can see now I have assembled these nuts, and they seem to sit askew.
This is how it should look on a 1155 system, so do not worry about it! :)
PS! Do not forget the double-sided tape to sit there.
15613366.jpg

The processor is now mounted!
76714623u.jpg

When you put it onto the back of the motherboard, you take the round circle with the blue plastic pieces and insert the screws in the plastic pieces.
Seen it down over motherboard socket so that the screws poking through the hole where the nuts are.
PS! In this picture I have the CPU plastic-protection left where the CPU should sit, you should of course do this after the CPU is in place! :)
40778919.jpg

Now you take a suited screwdriver and screws in these screws. You should not tighten them down all the way down, but just a little bit so they are in place.
PS! CPU cooler (Antec Kühler H2o 920) has preapplied thermal paste, but because I prefer to frame my own so I have removed it and then apply my own. You do what you want!
47315128.jpg

Now we need to get the block in place. Since that "bracket" is not completely screwed down you are able to put the block in.
Once you have done that, you should make sure that "bracket" is above the block's edges, then you should turn the block so that it attaches itself (much easier to understand when you see it in front of you.) Turn the block until you can see it will be able to catch with the bracket.
Once that is done then you screw in the screws so that they are good and hard!
51032493.jpg

Here we can see now how it looks when the motherboard is in place.
Since I originally had an ATX (now m-ATX) then the chassis designed for an ATX.
However, this is no problem because an m-ATX fits just as well. The only difference is there is one more distance to use.
I have also traded GPU (GTX 460) for a XBOX, so I'm on the integrated HD4000 in the processor.
Must say I am very impressed by its capabilities! Played Team Fortress 2 and Dota2 without any problems, floating on without any FPS dips on 1680*1050.

The motherboard in the chassis
27052963.jpg

Here we see the cooler as I just installed!
73901723.jpg

Here we see the Crucial components which I will review in the next update. :)
Crucial Ballistix Elite 1600MHz
Crucial M4 128GB
78851653.jpg

Finally for this update, I will show how I use a 1-to-4 Splitter for fans ! This I have been provided with by QuietPC! :)
As you can see, it has 4pcs places for fans, 1 molex for power and a plug for connection to the motherboard.
55261601.jpg

Connect all fans to the splitter and then you suddenly more opportunities to get a better air flow in the chassis and a cooler computer! :)
73095767.jpg

That's what I had for now. A small "come back" for me.
What remains now is to make the benchmarks and reviews on the products I've been provided with and install "Ubuntu" and the theme "Macbuntu".
Of course, to fix the inside of the computer so it looks great too!

So it's not that much left on this project, but I have a new one in mind and that will begin when this is finished! ;) Hope you are interested for what it is, because I think it might be a little "revolutionary", if you are allowed to express it that way ;)

Thanks hello and have a nice day!
Next update will coming soon.

Best Regards
Nikkop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back