Contribute
Register

Project: G5 Unlocked. Updated 15/6!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Project: G5 Unlocked.

I can definitely agree with that, I'm only doing my mod as I built a hack up for a friend and got the itch to build another so decided to do a mac pro case mod instead of building up another hack from scratch.

Hi all!

@Minihack, thanks for the posts! I was thinking about cutting out the 92mm fan spaces and move them and using JB-Weld.
You think this would work?

Also!

You might wonder why I don't update to frequently.
This project is a school project which is supposed to last until/be finished at the end of May. Due to that I've decided to not too often, but rather do it once a week more or less.

However, I was supposed to do an update yesterday/today but I encountered a problem.
I was going to pick up the package from Mountain Mods when the courier/customs wanted to charge me for 270 SEK. That is, approximately 50% of the value of motherboard tray + the shipping.
This makes no sense and I refused to pay it, instead I'm now having contact with the courier and the customs.

Customs tend to be 25%, which would be fine I guess (even tho I'd like to avoid it) but now it's around 50%.

Also! I've got 4x 60mm fans from Fractal Design to be used for the PSU. This update will come shortly, I'm in need to fix some things first >: )

Best Regards
Nikkokick

nikkokick said:
@Minihack, thanks for the posts! I was thinking about cutting out the 92mm fan spaces and move them and using JB-Weld.

Sorry to hear about the customs issue - maybe if you can get something from Mountain Mods to say it is a gift? As you are not paying for it then I guess that is still the truth.

On the question of cutting and moving it may be possible, but it is very close to the I/O cut outs and probably will distort. You might just be better copying the spacing of the two holes on the G5 and cutting them out of a piece of steel with a 90mm hole saw. Careful with the hole saw though as they always seem to cut oversize - so test on some scrap first....

Good luck.

minihack said:
nikkokick said:

Sorry to hear about the customs issue - maybe if you can get something from Mountain Mods to say it is a gift? As you are not paying for it then I guess that is still the truth.

On the question of cutting and moving it may be possible, but it is very close to the I/O cut outs and probably will distort. You might just be better copying the spacing of the two holes on the G5 and cutting them out of a piece of steel with a 90mm hole saw. Careful with the hole saw though as they always seem to cut oversize - so test on some scrap first....

Good luck.

It was stated on the package that it was a gift, and I even have documentation proving it.
However, according to the customs here in Sweden a company cannot simply give a private person something as a gift :/

Does it matter if it's close to the I/O? I will remove the I/O and replace with the Mountain Mods, so it wouldn't matter if it ruins it?

What I was thinking was to cut out the I/O and PCI to be replaced with the Mountain Mods tray, and also then cut out the fan spaces and move them to the left so they can fit.
I don't have any metal working skills nor anyone I know.

Do you think it will work with JB-Weld? Moving the fans to the left of the rear. I will probably cover where it was JB-welded with some sort of frame to keep it looking good.

Thanks

nikkokick said:
Do you think it will work with JB-Weld? Moving the fans to the left of the rear. I will probably cover where it was JB-welded with some sort of frame to keep it looking good.

Thanks

Take a look at the G5 mod by 61mg73 in this forum ("some old guys G5"). He moved the fan hole, used JB weld and patched it all up and did a great job. His method worked well and will help you I think.

Hi!

I have now updated my project in my first post!
Please search (CTRL+F on Windows) for UPDATE 20/02.
You'll then be directed to where my newest update starts.

Thanks

minihack said:
nikkokick said:

Thanks

Take a look at the G5 mod by 61mg73 in this forum ("some old guys G5"). He moved the fan hole, used JB weld and patched it all up and did a great job. His method worked well and will help you I think.

Thanks for the tip! His mod sure did look good! The question is how good I can get it to look when I have completely no experience with welding with the JB. I guess it will be some kind of trial :p Hehe.

Please see my update if you'd like! >: )

Best Regards
Nikko

Hey Nikko,

For your fan mounting at the back - my suggestion: two slots 25mmx60mm side by side in the bottom of the PSU case and (if needed) the same slots in the top. Then the fans will sit exactly right and vertical with the benefit you don't have to make any special fan mounts as the slots will also hold them in place as well as make them fit......

The mod will be invisible when the top cover plate is there too.

Better in my mind than trying to cut away part of the fan frame as you may upset how the fan is balanced.

Just a thought.

Good luck.

Hi everyone!

An Update is finally here! Go to the first page and look it up or use your browsers search function and search for "UPDATE 28/3"

Sorry for the long wait! Different reasons for me not being able to update until now, some of them you can read about in the just posted update!

minihack said:
Hey Nikko,

For your fan mounting at the back - my suggestion: two slots 25mmx60mm side by side in the bottom of the PSU case and (if needed) the same slots in the top. Then the fans will sit exactly right and vertical with the benefit you don't have to make any special fan mounts as the slots will also hold them in place as well as make them fit......

The mod will be invisible when the top cover plate is there too.

Better in my mind than trying to cut away part of the fan frame as you may upset how the fan is balanced.

Just a thought.

Good luck.

Hi there Minihack!

It sounds good but I'm not really sure what you mean. Would you mind doing a simple painted picture for me describing?

If you'd like so I can see what you mean :)

Thanks in advance
Best Regards
Nikkop

Jayster said:
You better not be stealing my idea of individually sleeving the PSU with white paracord! That was MY idea! :lol:

Just kidding! It looks very nice so far! What motherboard is that that you're using?

Jayster

Haha, the paracord just arrived this morning! And it was my own idea! You stole mine! ;) Haha.

The motherboard belongs to a friend of mine who let me use it for the measure purpose. It's a Gigabyte MA790GPT-UD3h. Phew, a pretty long name haha. However, I'll use a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 in the final product which is my own motherboard. Think it will suit very well being all black.

/Nikkop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back