Contribute
Register

Probook brightness/volume keys switch back to requiring Fn key randomly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Mavericks 10.9.1
CPU
Core i5 3570K
Graphics
GTX 560ti
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey guys! First of all please let me thank and congratulate all the hard work that's been put into making the probook installer both original and clover version, installation and setup is a breeze, thank again for this!

I'm writing just to point out a minor issue which I have no idea how to correct and haven't found anything else on the forum regarding this, the keyboard "multimedia" keys seem to randomly reset back to requiring the FN key being pressed in order to adjust things such as brightness, volume, mission control etc...

Every now and then I'll hit one of these keys and realize it doesn't do anything, go to system preferences and find that the "Use al F1, F2, etc keys as standard function keys" has a check next to it once again which I constantly go back and uncheck.

Anyhow, this isn't anything major but rather the only "issue" per say I've found and thought I'd just throw it out there. Thanks a lot for your time!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-12-28 at 4.46.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-12-28 at 4.46.16 PM.png
    72.8 KB · Views: 1,111
Hey guys! First of all please let me thank and congratulate all the hard work that's been put into making the probook installer both original and clover version, installation and setup is a breeze, thank again for this!

I'm writing just to point out a minor issue which I have no idea how to correct and haven't found anything else on the forum regarding this, the keyboard "multimedia" keys seem to randomly reset back to requiring the FN key being pressed in order to adjust things such as brightness, volume, mission control etc...

Every now and then I'll hit one of these keys and realize it doesn't do anything, go to system preferences and find that the "Use al F1, F2, etc keys as standard function keys" has a check next to it once again which I constantly go back and uncheck.

Anyhow, this isn't anything major but rather the only "issue" per say I've found and thought I'd just throw it out there. Thanks a lot for your time!

Perhaps you're pressing Ctrl+PrtSc (it is a shortcut to toggle Fn key mode).

hey,

check bios there is a fn mode option there, my probook 450 g1 did ctrl - fn key mixing on mavericks but after reset it fixed.so far no problem with yosemite

I have the same exact problem :(
It switch randomly somtimes it requires the Fn+Functions and somtimes only Functions

I have the same exact problem :(
It switch randomly somtimes it requires the Fn+Functions and somtimes only Functions

Make sure you're not accidentally pressing Ctrl+PrtSc.

Note README: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller

"2013-03-15 v1.8.1

New feature: It is now possible to toggle the Keyboard Prefs "Use all F1, F2…" option with a keyboard hotkey. On the ProBook 4xx0s series, it is Ctrl+'prt sc'.

Make sure you're not accidentally pressing Ctrl+PrtSc.

Note README: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller

"2013-03-15 v1.8.1

New feature: It is now possible to toggle the Keyboard Prefs "Use all F1, F2…" option with a keyboard hotkey. On the ProBook 4xx0s series, it is Ctrl+'prt sc'.

Hey Rehabman! Thanks for the response, this issue with the function keys switching is sporadic, it happens so rarely to that its barely an issue, but the CTRL+PRT SC doesn't toggle that option in system preferences for me for some reason... I install using clover probook installer.

This has happened to me twice in the last couple of days. It happened once before two and I googled this thread then. This may actually be part of the problem. (Because other than seeing this thread, I have no reason to use ctrl-prt sc nor do I press ctrl-anything that's anywhere near there.)

It's possible that the last time I visited this thread, I fiddled with ctrl-prt sc, and then fiddled with system preferences, and then left everything in the opposite state.

Since ctrl-prt sc seems to operate at the hardware level rather than the system preferences level (because it doesn't change settings, and because it doesn't work with my caps-lock-set-to-ctrl key), then it will revert to its' default every time there's a reboot (and maybe a sleep too).

So right now I definitely have the system preference UNchecked, which should be the correct value for volume keys doing volume things instead of F8,F9,F10.

If it happens again, I'll know that something is changing the system preferences.

Hey Rehabman! Thanks for the response, this issue with the function keys switching is sporadic, it happens so rarely to that its barely an issue, but the CTRL+PRT SC doesn't toggle that option in system preferences for me for some reason... I install using clover probook installer.

It is probably some other key then (not all keyboards generate the same scan codes as the 4530s).

This has happened to me twice in the last couple of days. It happened once before two and I googled this thread then. This may actually be part of the problem. (Because other than seeing this thread, I have no reason to use ctrl-prt sc nor do I press ctrl-anything that's anywhere near there.)

It's possible that the last time I visited this thread, I fiddled with ctrl-prt sc, and then fiddled with system preferences, and then left everything in the opposite state.

Since ctrl-prt sc seems to operate at the hardware level rather than the system preferences level (because it doesn't change settings, and because it doesn't work with my caps-lock-set-to-ctrl key), then it will revert to its' default every time there's a reboot (and maybe a sleep too).

So right now I definitely have the system preference UNchecked, which should be the correct value for volume keys doing volume things instead of F8,F9,F10.

If it happens again, I'll know that something is changing the system preferences.

On the 4540s, Ctrl+PrtSc affects the system setting directly. It isn't anything happening "at the hardware level". It is code I wrote in VoodooPS2 to toggle a system property.

Note: Changing the setting with Ctrl+Prtsc may not be persistent across reboots, where as changing it via SysPrefs->Keyboard is.

Well that didn't take long. I am absolutely sure that I did not come anywhere near ctrl-prt sc. And yet the volume keys stopped working. And the system preferences have by themselves checked the function key checkbox.

The system has been powered on the whole time. It has gone to sleep once since my last posting (unfortuantely I didn't think immediately to check the setting).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back