Contribute
Register

Probook brightness/volume keys switch back to requiring Fn key randomly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that didn't take long. I am absolutely sure that I did not come anywhere near ctrl-prt sc. And yet the volume keys stopped working. And the system preferences have by themselves checked the function key checkbox.

The system has been powered on the whole time. It has gone to sleep once since my last posting (unfortuantely I didn't think immediately to check the setting).

First step in reporting a problem is finding the steps to reproduce the problem...

Let me know if you come up with a sure-fire set of steps that cause the setting to switch.

I haven't run into the issue you are reporting.

It happens to me from time to time, I don't know why it's happening yet. Ctrl+prt sc is good for the time being.

Just checking in. Still happening to me, very consistently. It seems to happen shortly after waking up. Immediately after waking, I check, and the volume control works as I had left it. But within 10-15 minutes, it stops working. Sometimes I fix it with ctrl-prt sc, and other times I fix it by going into system preferences and unchecking that setting, but regardless of which method I use, it won't stay.

I'm 100% sure I'm not pressing ctrl-prt sc, unless there is some other key combination that generates that same keycode. I'm not running anything funky. In fact I'm not running anything at all except Safari and Terminal in many cases.

Just checking in. Still happening to me, very consistently. It seems to happen shortly after waking up. Immediately after waking, I check, and the volume control works as I had left it. But within 10-15 minutes, it stops working. Sometimes I fix it with ctrl-prt sc, and other times I fix it by going into system preferences and unchecking that setting, but regardless of which method I use, it won't stay.

I'm 100% sure I'm not pressing ctrl-prt sc, unless there is some other key combination that generates that same keycode. I'm not running anything funky. In fact I'm not running anything at all except Safari and Terminal in many cases.

You should probably add some debug code to VoodooPS2Keyboard to log something to system.log when it receives a request to toggle the mode. Then you can check system.log to determine if that is the code path causing the issue.

Also, it would be a good idea to capture ioreg when it happens, as the function key mode can be seen in HIDFKeyMode property.

Definitely happening after waking up, i got the same issue here.

Definitely happening after waking up, i got the same issue here.

Is it consistently happening after sleep? If not, try to determine what you do prior to sleep that causes it.

Unless you post logs and/or ioreg, this will never be solved.

Post ioreg: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html. Please, use the IORegistryExplorer v2.1 attached to the post! DO NOT reply with an ioreg from any other version of IORegistryExplorer.app.

Attached is a special version of 1.8.14 which:
- has the code for toggle fnkey mode disabled
- has a special log (filter for 'rm_ps2' to see it) when it normally would happen

Attachments

• RehabMan-Voodoo-2015-0308.zip
    178.2 KB · Views: 94
I currently have an installation of Yosemite: 10.10.1, my installation has been fairly rock solid (I did research before I bought and did different configurations until I landed here, a year later lol) I have a problem with it randomly restarting when their is an SD Card in the slot, I bought a 64gb one to put Linux on and it was nothing but trouble so I decided to use it as FAT32 for the tri-boot I have, Yosemite > Windows 7 > Kali Linux (the latter 2 share a 500gb HDD in the Secondary bay and Yosemite is on a 120gb SSD)

I troubleshooted the restarting by removing the SD card and it has not done it since, I am in school full-time so I am leaving that for now.

The real only issue that is bothersome is the Funtion Key Modifier randomly unchecking, the Ctrl + Prnt Scrn trick makes it work without the modifier again and before I use the Voodoo that was posted by the moderator, I was wondering if this was resolved another way or if that was the success and that's why the thread ended.

I noticed it was only a month or so ago so I figured I would give this a shot. Thanks for any help. And BEFORE replying that I should start a new thread please delete this reply and I will figure it out, Thanks guys (looonnnnngggggggg time lover of this site btw) first post I think :p

I currently have an installation of Yosemite: 10.10.1, my installation has been fairly rock solid (I did research before I bought and did different configurations until I landed here, a year later lol) I have a problem with it randomly restarting when their is an SD Card in the slot, I bought a 64gb one to put Linux on and it was nothing but trouble so I decided to use it as FAT32 for the tri-boot I have, Yosemite > Windows 7 > Kali Linux (the latter 2 share a 500gb HDD in the Secondary bay and Yosemite is on a 120gb SSD)

I troubleshooted the restarting by removing the SD card and it has not done it since, I am in school full-time so I am leaving that for now.

The real only issue that is bothersome is the Funtion Key Modifier randomly unchecking, the Ctrl + Prnt Scrn trick makes it work without the modifier again and before I use the Voodoo that was posted by the moderator, I was wondering if this was resolved another way or if that was the success and that's why the thread ended.

I noticed it was only a month or so ago so I figured I would give this a shot. Thanks for any help. And BEFORE replying that I should start a new thread please delete this reply and I will figure it out, Thanks guys (looonnnnngggggggg time lover of this site btw) first post I think :p

Please try the kext in post #16 and report back with the results.

As you can see, people complain about an issue, but then fail to provide any real feedback to help solve it.

Hi,

I'm not sure how much info you'll need. These are the ps2 logs from the same second where rm_ps2 was found. There's nothing system-ish that happened at the same time for all three events.

They all consistently have the key e027=0, 0=80 (up or down), and the only times this shows in the logs, the rm_ps2 debug line is also logged immediately before it. What are these values being logged? For other keys, I notice that the second half is the Apple virtual keycode. If so, I don't see how this is triggering the code, but I've only glanced through it.

I'll try to get the ioreg later this weekend if it will still be helpful.

After waking computer, 2 seconds after entering password to unlock screen:

May 1 20:57:52 foo kernel[0]: ApplePS2Keyboard: sending key e026=80 down
May 1 20:57:52 foo kernel[0]: rm_ps2: fnkeys toggle, goingDown=true
May 1 20:57:52 foo kernel[0]: ApplePS2Keyboard: sending key e027=0, 0=80 down

After waking computer, 1 second BEFORE entering password:

May 1 23:07:21 foo kernel[0]: ApplePS2Controller: initial commandByte = 00
May 1 23:07:21 foo kernel[0]: ApplePS2Controller: new commandByte = 40
May 1 23:07:21 foo kernel[0]: ApplePS2Controller: setCommandByte for wake 1
May 1 23:07:21 foo kernel[0]: ApplePS2Controller: oldCommandByte = 40
May 1 23:07:21 foo kernel[0]: ApplePS2Keyboard: sending key e025=80 up
May 1 23:07:21 foo kernel[0]: ApplePS2Keyboard: sending key e026=80 up
May 1 23:07:21 foo kernel[0]: rm_ps2: fnkeys toggle, goingDown=false
May 1 23:07:21 foo kernel[0]: ApplePS2Keyboard: sending key e027=0, 0=80 up
May 1 23:07:21 foo kernel[0]: ApplePS2Keyboard: sending key e028=80 up
May 1 23:07:21 foo kernel[0]: ApplePS2Controller: oldCommandByte = 40

Not connected to waking or screen unlocking:
May 1 23:10:47 foo kernel[0]: rm_ps2: fnkeys toggle, goingDown=true
May 1 23:10:47 foo kernel[0]: ApplePS2Keyboard: sending key e027=0, 0=80 down

Hi,

I'm not sure how much info you'll need. These are the ps2 logs from the same second where rm_ps2 was found. There's nothing system-ish that happened at the same time for all three events.

They all consistently have the key e027=0, 0=80 (up or down), and the only times this shows in the logs, the rm_ps2 debug line is also logged immediately before it. What are these values being logged? For other keys, I notice that the second half is the Apple virtual keycode. If so, I don't see how this is triggering the code, but I've only glanced through it.

I'll try to get the ioreg later this weekend if it will still be helpful.

It confirms that the keyboard controller is generating phantom events, perhaps during the wakeup process. The keycodes are e025 e026 e027 e028, so it is actually sending a few. Those are all break codes (key going up), so in general they do nothing.

Code:
May 1 23:07:21 foo kernel[0]: ApplePS2Keyboard: sending key e025=80 up
May 1 23:07:21 foo kernel[0]: ApplePS2Keyboard: sending key e026=80 up
May 1 23:07:21 foo kernel[0]: rm_ps2: fnkeys toggle, goingDown=false
May 1 23:07:21 foo kernel[0]: ApplePS2Keyboard: sending key e027=0, 0=80 up
May 1 23:07:21 foo kernel[0]: ApplePS2Keyboard: sending key e028=80 up

And yes, the second code is an ADB code (80 is a DEADKEY, eg. unrecognized).

This one is the problematic one:
Code:
May 1 23:10:47 foo kernel[0]: rm_ps2: fnkeys toggle, goingDown=true
May 1 23:10:47 foo kernel[0]: ApplePS2Keyboard: sending key e027=0, 0=80 down

... since is e027 which is one of the codes that maps to this toggle function (the other is e037).

I can probably change the Probook keyboard map to ignore e027 (eg. Custom PS2 Map entry e027=0)

Summary:
- keyboard controller is sending phantom events e025, e026, e027, e028
- all are ignored by the current code except e027 (because it is alternate for e037)
- fix is to ignore e027 in the ProBook keyboard profile since it is not a real key (e037 is the 'real' key).
- this phantom key phenomenon is likely machine specific...

I'll do some testing with changes here locally and get back with a new build to test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back