Contribute
Register

Probook 4x30s specific + 10.9x Mavericks. Stable or almost stable (as 10.8x)? Please RSVP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP EliteBook_8x0G1
CPU
i7-4600U
Graphics
HD 4400, 1366 x 768
As per the thread topic title, its about any Probook 4x30s users experience with 10.9x Mavericks.

I've read through the related posts in various threads, and there appears to be little or no issues (big/small/annoying) related to Probook 4x30s and 10.9x, or these users just are still happy using 10.8x?

Apart from some of the gui redesigns such as calendar/notes/reminders etc, any 'function' specific issues such as dual display, audio outputs, hdmi outputs, vga outputs, anything else, etc?

Please respond in point/bullet form to this post. Thanks everyone.

Update (testing in progress) : upgraded a fresh install ml 10.8.5 (unibeast 3.x) to 10.9

Observations

- the upgrade process is much slower than expected, really need to wait out more longer for 10.9 to finish doing its install setup.
- after 1st boot, 10.9 would seem to be really slow at first. This is because it is doing indexing in the background. Turn it off to speed things up, like boot up and shutdown, and everything in between.
- since it is a brand new fresh install, and about after the 3rd boot up, everything appears to be fast and snappy, and looks promising.
- didn't like the change in the visual background for login screen, calendar, notes, contacts. prefer the 10.x fake leather etc.
- Maps, probably useful alternative before google makes the google maps app for osx?
- finder - tab browsing is nice. even better is dual pane, which is still missing. get it free with xtrafinder, or paid with pathfinder
- safari is a bit more responsive, maybe it works better without/ less extensions/addons?
- icons have been updated a bit more contrast and retina look and feel, maybe they can do the same for 10.8x?

Test system is 4x30s i3 + 16gb ram, maybe the 10.9 memory compression thing kicked in at some point?

some more test drive later , for now 4x30s and 10.9 looks impressive.

next test is a clean direct fresh install of 10.9 and 4x30s
- not sure if any visually noticeable differences in performance or speed.

Update (testing in progress) : fresh install 10.9 + unibeast 3.x

Observations

- after installing is complete, reboot with unibeast 3.x 10.9 usb, and use -f switch, then run pro book installer. then shutdown, remove usb, then use as normal.

As per the thread topic title, its about any Probook 4x30s users experience with 10.9x Mavericks.

I've read through the related posts in various threads, and there appears to be little or no issues (big/small/annoying) related to Probook 4x30s and 10.9x, or these users just are still happy using 10.8x?

Apart from some of the gui redesigns such as calendar/notes/reminders etc, any 'function' specific issues such as dual display, audio outputs, hdmi outputs, vga outputs, anything else, etc?

Please respond in point/bullet form to this post. Thanks everyone.

Personally, the dual monitor setup is much better, something that should of been done ages ago to match that of other Os out there.

Also, the other feature that was long overdue is the tabs in finder.

As for comparison in stability between 10.8 and 10.9, I have issues of reseting now and then following sleep, but I think thats clover related as opposed to the OS, not 100% sure, but its certainly nothing I worry about as it happens very rarely.

Personally, the dual monitor setup is much better, something that should of been done ages ago to match that of other Os out there.

Also, the other feature that was long overdue is the tabs in finder.

As for comparison in stability between 10.8 and 10.9, I have issues of reseting now and then following sleep, but I think thats clover related as opposed to the OS, not 100% sure, but its certainly nothing I worry about as it happens very rarely.

​Thanks for your feedback rob1980. i'm looking at testing 10.9x as a primary desktop, and I've read elsewhere apple has seeded 10.91 update or something. Might have to wait and test it then.

I use it as my main OS.

very stable, the only time something breaks, is when I'm messing about, its always operator error lol.

But even still, using OSX on a pc laptop, I still have less errors / issues, and those that are, are easier to fix than they ever were on windows.

Linux is a whole different ball game, I used it for 18 months as my primary system, but I'll always stick to OSX now.

I use my 4530s for work in a windows enviroment. Its absolute perfect and this is the only operating system on my pb. Everything working as it should be (BT, wifi, webcam, dual display). My battery also lasts longer. My only problem is i had to switch my 7200 rpm hdd to a 5400 rpm one and now i have beachballing very often.

I use it as my main OS.

very stable, the only time something breaks, is when I'm messing about, its always operator error lol.

But even still, using OSX on a pc laptop, I still have less errors / issues, and those that are, are easier to fix than they ever were on windows.

Linux is a whole different ball game, I used it for 18 months as my primary system, but I'll always stick to OSX now.

thanks for the feedback. btw what do you use/recommend for ntfs, the commercial or open source apps?

I use my 4530s for work in a windows enviroment. Its absolute perfect and this is the only operating system on my pb. Everything working as it should be (BT, wifi, webcam, dual display). My battery also lasts longer. My only problem is i had to switch my 7200 rpm hdd to a 5400 rpm one and now i have beachballing very often.

i've tried both 7.2k and 5.4k rpm hdd and had no issues 10.8, i don't know why 10.9 would be picky, a hybrid ssd or SSD is great, and noticeable when working with large files. Maybe you need more ram? 2/4gb is probably a bare minimum for mavericks on older cpu's .

Many older macs/macbooks hdd's and ram can be upgraded by the user, and Apple probably didn't hint clear enough to those users who will use 10.9, that its in their best interest to upgrade their old mac/macbooks to maximum ram possible ( see OWC for more info), and ssd drive.

thanks for the feedback. btw what do you use/recommend for ntfs, the commercial or open source apps?

i've tried both 7.2k and 5.4k rpm hdd and had no issues 10.8, i don't know why 10.9 would be picky, a hybrid ssd or SSD is great, and noticeable when working with large files. Maybe you need more ram? 2/4gb is probably a bare minimum for mavericks on older cpu's .

Many older macs/macbooks hdd's and ram can be upgraded by the user, and Apple probably didn't hint clear enough to those users who will use 10.9, that its in their best interest to upgrade their old mac/macbooks to maximum ram possible ( see OWC for more info), and ssd drive.

I have 8 gbs of memory and i think this is the max for the probook and i don't think the 2gen i3 is an older CPU. Im almost certain the problem is the HDD. And yes an SSD would be much faster but it const 1/4th of my sallary :)

I have 8 gbs of memory and i think this is the max for the probook and i don't think the 2gen i3 is an older CPU. Im almost certain the problem is the HDD. And yes an SSD would be much faster but it const 1/4th of my sallary :)

as with any diy projects with hardware and software, check your connections for your ram, hdd, and laptop logic board are seated correctly in its place, and are securely connected, and not damaged either wiring etc.

maybe you got a batch of bad hdd, you can try another hdd.

16gb is the current known maximum, unless someone has access to 32gb (2 x 16gb ) to test in pro book.

make sure your bios is updated to current version (f.41) as of writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back