i7 4770k
Graphics
GTX 760
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So I've just bought a new SSD where I wanting to put High Sierra on, the system itself has been running Mavericks since it came out:

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-OC Force-CF
CPU: i7 4770k
GPU: GTX 760
Ram 32GB DDR3

I never bothered to update in fear of breaking something, but as I've bought new gadgets and programs that don't work on Mavericks anymore, therefore the new SSD and a new start with High Sierra.

However with many problems with Unibeast 8.1.0 giving APFS.efi Failure (which I managed to solve), and some other issues with my usb. I eventually gotten to the point I had a bootable usb drive with clover.

Here however I've yet to manage to get to the installation screen as I'm getting the following error when running it in pure verbose with nothing else:

(com.apple.WindowServer): Service only ran for 0 seconds, Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

This is with the normal clover bootflags and verbose mode. Here I also tried various variations of the flags like safe mode which directly hits a panic and reboots, no cache, nv_disable=1, nvda_drv=1

Yet nothing worked with any settings I've tried, when disableing nv_disable=0 in verbose mode it will get to a point in the loading of everything to then disable the output of the screen completely and neither motherboard or gpu gives anymore output so I have to reboot.

In all cases there are also mentions of the following error: Please switch to XPC or bootstrap_check_in():
Not sure if that has anything to do with it though.

It's been so long since I've actually done this that I'm pretty much back at zero when it comes to installing the system, I know it works as I've still got Mavericks running on it, but now am unsure what the next step actually is.

Could anyone inform me what the best way to handle this now would be?

Thanks in advance!

Update: I've reverted to using normal Sierra as I didn't manage to get High Sierra to work at all. But with normal Sierra it worked without a problem from the first time.

I did had usb driver problems, that I'm unsure how to fix as I installed the usb drivers via multibeasts but that made all my usb ports nonfunctional (had to manually remove the kext files via another boot drive).

Now I'm also running into a problem where I can't remove any file as it gives me the error code -43.

Anyone know how to solve this?

Update: I've reverted to using normal Sierra as I didn't manage to get High Sierra to work at all. But with normal Sierra it worked without a problem from the first time.

I did had usb driver problems, that I'm unsure how to fix as I installed the usb drivers via multibeasts but that made all my usb ports nonfunctional (had to manually remove the kext files via another boot drive).

Now I'm also running into a problem where I can't remove any file as it gives me the error code -43.

Anyone know how to solve this?
I was watching your posts.
  • From the hardware SPECS you have posted, it should stand a High Sierra installation.
  • My suggestions :
  • Create New HIGH USB installer in UEFI mode following all the steps as listed in the Unibeast 8.1 GUIDE
    • Try to use a Flash disk that has good LED indicator light for checking active file transfers
    • During its creation if you encounter any problem, post with screen image of the screen you thought was a problem and add any other information you want in text.
  • If the USB installer was created successfully, boot your computer with it and load Optimized Default BIOS (F7).
  • Take photos of the BIOS screen menus where you are making selections as recommended in the GUIDE for the MacOS installation.
  • Make sure to set your UEFI USB installer as the first boot device in Boot Option Priorities and select and then click Disable of all other listed items in Boot Option Priorities one by one until only device Enabled is your High Sierra UEFI USB Installer Disk.
    • This is to minimize the number of interfering true and bogus/phantom disks showing up in F-12 Boot Menu screen interfering with USB installer opening Clover Boot Manager (CBM) Screen
    • Save all the chosen BIOS options and press F-10 to save and reboot
  • Press F-12 and take a Picture.
  • Select your UEFI USB installer and ENTER to reach CBM screen
  • Take a Picture of the icon(s) in CBM screen
  • Go to Options >Boot Args screen. If there is no verbose boot flag in Boot Args:add -v to the list of flags and take a picture. Remember to boot in Verbose through out installation until the system disk can boot without the USB installer.
  • Check all the sub-menu under Options and take Pictures of the screens . These images are good to keep for your future use or upload to the Forum if questions come with a boot problem.
  • Next return to CBM and boot your USB installer .
  • Take verbose boot screen image if boot problem is seen and upload that image to the forum when asking for help.
  • In the Installer screen, it is better for first timers to use GUID Partition with HFS+J format for the System disk even if it is SSD.
  • During installation there could be 3- 4 reboots .
  • Some will be in about 2 -3 minutes into installation that may say 22 minutes.
  • During each reboot, use F-12 to choose the USB installer to enter the CBM ( so that the RIGHT CLOVER is used by the half-baked System disk to boot without error until it gets its own CLOVER from Multibeast 10.1 later)
  • From CBM screen boot using the System Disk
  • By the third reboot you will see an extra Recovery Disk Icon.
  • during the third reboot you may encounter the screen going black >white and then to Apple with Prorgess bar and again white and finally the Screen with High Sierra Round icon .
  • On the 4th reboot it will open the World Map screen for Language and Region selection, Apple software agreement, Setting up Apple Account, Your login and Password creation , iCloud setup and finally the Desktop with Keyboard setup .
  • From Desktop go to Applications>Utilities Terminal
On Terminal type the following sudo command to enable Apps from "Anywhere" to be downloaded by you like the Multibeast you will be using:
  • sudo spctl --assess --master-disable
  • Password ENTER.
  • There won't be any output on terminal
    • Now Set the Time zone date and time to current from the top bar right
    • From Finder >Preferences click and √ all 4 boxes to get your disks to be mounted on the Right side of Desktop for easy access.
    • You can now launch Multibeast 10.1 you had pasted on the USB installer
    • Install CLOVER in UEFI Mode and make the right kexts choice for your hardware.

• Even after you install Multibeast , Don't remove the USB installer
  • Use USB installer for the last time to enter CBM screen and then switch to your HS system disk to boot.
  • Once you login with your login name and password and enter Desktop check the following and take Screen Capture images with your keyboard. No need for Camera
    • Apple >About This Mac> Overview
    • System Report >Hardware>Hardware Overview
    • Audio >
    • Ethernet cards>
    • Graphics and Displays>
    • USB >
  • You can edit the mages using Preview.
  • Eject USB installer
  • Reboot and press F-12 and select your System disk to enter CBM
  • Make sure to check all the screens you had photographed for USB installer. You want them to be the same for easy boot
  • Boot in Verbose mode
  • Take pictures of any problem screen to upload to the Forum
  • Log into desktop and fix anything else with Forum help if needed.{use previously taken images of System Report to supplement your post.
    • Screen images should speak for you in majority of troubleshoot.

Exemplary Comment

Thanks a bunch cmn699 for the additional help, I'm going to see how well Sierra works for now as I got that to work, and if in the future I do seem to need High Sierra for whatever reason, I'll try to follow your guide. It's a perfect guide to be honest to really get things to work, as you've really put time into describing each step so for that I really thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back