Pre-Installation (noob) Questions - Preparation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Progress report:
A. DONE - Atheros AR8161/8165 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
B. DONE - USB Flash prepared with Unibeast + ML 10.8.2 from Appstore
C. DONE
D. DONE - with the onboard, worked out of the box
- while at it, Question 6: I also have an Asus Xonar D2X audio card, on PCI-E. Do I have to take it out as well, or I can leave it on, as it won't do no harm ? (I am not imagining being able to install/use it, I'm just talking about its physical presence in the PC while installing ML)
- Answer 6: no problem. It simply doesn't mind it.​
E. DONE
- Question 7: Any preference for the USB port to use to connect the USB Flash ?(topic name is still Noob questions):D
- Answer 7: Used the front USB, all good.​
F. DONE
- I found my self in ML, in no time. Boot without any issues, install without any issues. However, one bizzare thing happened: when in ML for the first time, before running MultiBeast, the network card WAS working. I have downloaded Multibeast directly on my CustoMac (by the way, don't know what .aml file the guide is reffering to.. I had only the MultiBeast 5.2.1 install package and I run it) In case I have said something stupid, please take into account that I am new also to Mac World (I don't really use my wife's..) :)
- Question 7.1: Is it normal that the network card worked before the Multibeast setup ? Have I done something to break it ?
- Answer 7.1: Since MultiBeast 5.2, Shailua's experimental driver for Atheros AR81(31/32/51/52/61/62/71/72) is included. Enough just to select it, under Network drivers.

SOUND (VIA 2021 chipset): Works (at least for headphones, using the green output) using Voodoo 0.2.7.3 from Multibeast.
G. DONE
- Question 8: so you recommend to leave only 64 GB SSD, install OSX, connect 128 GB SSD, format it under OS X (MBR partition tables MSDOS FAT), disconnect OS X SSD, install WIN7 ? Is this correct ?
- Answer 8: YES. Re-format the drive in NTFS, while in Windows setup.
- Question 9: any problems to expect / recommendations regarding the SATA ports use ? (ex: OSX SSD recommended on SATA #1, or #2, or.. WIN7 SSD on SATA #1, or #2, ...)
- Answer 9: Installet OS X SSD on SATA port #1, WIN7 SSD on SATA port #2, and the 1 Tb on SATA port #3. Probably doesn't matter that much, but just to be safe..
H. DONE
- true, only that I have understood that Chimera will be messed up when installing WIN7.
- Question 10: If the OS X SSD is disconnected when installing WIN7, will Chimera see both OS after WIN7 install completes, and the OS X SSD is reconnected ? Or Chimera needs to be reinstalled at this step ?
- Answer 10: Clearly works, after reconnecting the drive, going to ML and re-run Multibeast. Didn't check before.. (didn't know what to expect). In any case this is somehow a minor issue, because it basically does what F12 (Gigabyte MB) does anyways..
I. DONE
It seed and reads the 1 Tb drive contents without any problems. I will try soon enough what it has been suggested few posts before, in order to be able to also write on a NTFS partition.
J. DONE
Installed nVidia drivers, except CUDA, for the moment. Still have to check full acceleration though.

So, there you have it. An almost 100% succes. Thank you for all your great help. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back