Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Greetings fellow forumers,

I have discovered this forum (..aand the fact that you can install OSX on PC) no so long ago. It has come at perfect moment, because I was just about to update my 5 years system (GA P41 ES3G, Q6600, 6 Gb DDR2, 8800 GT). So, with my new build I have tried to be as compatible as possible with the recommandations on this site (with a slight mistake though.. more about that later) :).

My wife has a MacBook Air, so I will be using this to create my USB drive. But before going into it, few noobish questions please:

Question 1:
When buying the ML on Appstore, does it matter which Apple ID I use ? (by default it's my wife's). I mean at the moment of the purchase, is this associated with the ID ? So after installing on my PC I will have to "confirm" / authenticate the product with the same ID as the purchase ? (in which case I would create a new ID with my details, if necessary)

Question 2:
Once purchased, is there a limited number of installs acceptable ? Since I am discoverying this, I was thinking to make a "test" install on my old machine before doing it on the new PC. Also, if it's the case, I am not one of the guys intalling OS's every week, but maybe once in 6 months or more, I am doing it. Will I have problems because of this ?

Question 3:
I have purchased a new SSD disk specially for ML, so my new system looks like this:
  • GA-Z77X D3H rev. 1.1 (yes I know, I may run into some problems.. but hopefully the network card will work at least. For audio am planning to use an Logitech USB DAC)
  • CPU i7 3770K
  • nVidia GTX 670
  • 16 Gb DDR3 G.Skill (2x8Gb)
  • SSD 64 Gb Crucial M4 - planning to use it fot ML
  • SSD 128 Gb Samsung 840 Pro - planning to use it for Win7
  • HDD 1 Tb WD Caviar Black
The question: I haven't seen guides with this kind of configuration, most people seem to install either OSX either both on the same drive. Is there some special procedure I should follow ? Certains aspects to pay attention to ?

Question 4:
Will I be able to use/acces my 1 Tb HDD ? I am actually going through all this "trouble" to learn, but also to do all my photo manipulation/video editing in OSX instead of Win7.

NOTE:
When posting a reply, please take into consideration that I am total noob with this.. (am I though an experienced user with Windows & Hardware, installed Linux, played with multiboot..).

Thank you in advance for all your valuable help and advices
Lucian ;)

Question 1: Not sure but, I've used my one Mountain Lion purchase for my Macbook Pro and my hackintosh with no problems. If you are worried I see you have an iphone login to the app store using your apple credentials.

Question 2: I've installed it numerous times and never had a problem.

Question 3: When you install best bet it to disconnect all drives except the one you are installing mountain lion too. Follow tonymacs guide to the letter. After installation shutdown then reconnect the other drives. Chimera should automatically detect the drives and allow you to dual boot to Windows or OSX. With 64Gb SSD I would use OSX for the whole drive.

Question 4: If your 1Tb drive is formatted to NTFS. You will need something like NTFS for Mac OSX, or NTFS-3G:
http://www.tuxera.com/community/ntfs-3g-download/

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/

We were all noobs at one point in time.

Greetings fellow forumers,

I have discovered this forum (..aand the fact that you can install OSX on PC) no so long ago. It has come at perfect moment, because I was just about to update my 5 years system (GA P41 ES3G, Q6600, 6 Gb DDR2, 8800 GT). So, with my new build I have tried to be as compatible as possible with the recommandations on this site (with a slight mistake though.. more about that later) :).

My wife has a MacBook Air, so I will be using this to create my USB drive. But before going into it, few noobish questions please:

Question 1:
When buying the ML on Appstore, does it matter which Apple ID I use ? (by default it's my wife's). I mean at the moment of the purchase, is this associated with the ID ? So after installing on my PC I will have to "confirm" / authenticate the product with the same ID as the purchase ? (in which case I would create a new ID with my details, if necessary)

Question 2:
Once purchased, is there a limited number of installs acceptable ? Since I am discoverying this, I was thinking to make a "test" install on my old machine before doing it on the new PC. Also, if it's the case, I am not one of the guys intalling OS's every week, but maybe once in 6 months or more, I am doing it. Will I have problems because of this ?

Question 3:
I have purchased a new SSD disk specially for ML, so my new system looks like this:
  • GA-Z77X D3H rev. 1.1 (yes I know, I may run into some problems.. but hopefully the network card will work at least. For audio am planning to use an Logitech USB DAC)
  • CPU i7 3770K
  • nVidia GTX 670
  • 16 Gb DDR3 G.Skill (2x8Gb)
  • SSD 64 Gb Crucial M4 - planning to use it fot ML
  • SSD 128 Gb Samsung 840 Pro - planning to use it for Win7
  • HDD 1 Tb WD Caviar Black
The question: I haven't seen guides with this kind of configuration, most people seem to install either OSX either both on the same drive. Is there some special procedure I should follow ? Certains aspects to pay attention to ?

Question 4:
Will I be able to use/acces my 1 Tb HDD ? I am actually going through all this "trouble" to learn, but also to do all my photo manipulation/video editing in OSX instead of Win7.

NOTE:
When posting a reply, please take into consideration that I am total noob with this.. (am I though an experienced user with Windows & Hardware, installed Linux, played with multiboot..).

Thank you in advance for all your valuable help and advices
Lucian ;)

Luchian
As to the following Questions
#1 - this hardware most likely will not support ML do to the G41 + ICH7 Chipset they are to old - seach the forums and Google for your model motherboard and Mountain Lion see if you get any success stories.

#2 as to the App store ID - suggest you make one for yourself as each account gets the system ID's registered to it and as your Hacks are yours and not the Wifes this makes more sense - also you will need to supply your own CC for purchases.
As to using the ML software on multiple system I am sure that Apple would want you to have one copy per hack. But as to you being able to apply it to the old hardware which is doubtful then only need it for the new hardware Z77...

#3 Yes that motherboard is tricky - but can be make to work - will need to know the Aerthos Chip number 8151 vd 8161 or something like that ( which is the diff between V1 and V1.1) See if you can locate the # before assembly as its easier that way. As to SSD - make sure that one that is for OSX has the latest firmware. I would also suggest using an older SATA drive as a test system to get it running due to a lot of issues that users have w SSD's on initial installs so if you have a small SATA drive and can use it try that first for the hack install then you can use programs like super duper or carbon copy cloner to migrate the drive image to the SSD after you format them w Apples Disk Utility.
As to the WD black - suggest you pre format that drive into two partitions and install W7 to one - as if you use it fresh W7 installer will create two partiions one small boot the other the C drive. Just gets to confusing when you get to the Chimera Boot loader you see two NTFS drives instead of one. I would also suggest that you see if you can install W7 w custom sccript to have the Users folder on the WD black drive that way you dont fill up the Samsung SSD w user stuff internt net cache users home folder etc:
See this link
http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds#

Then you can convert the 2nd WD Black partition to a Mac vol and move the Mac Users folder their - TMX86 has a link on how to do that. Your sizing is up to you. Again if needed you can use Carbon Cpy Cloner or SuperDuper to migrate the data to other drives and then reassign the partition you moved to either OS.

Other items - when you build the mac you should use the internal GFX functions of the HD4000 then install w Multibeast the nvidia kexts you need and the Nvidia drivers downloaded from their site and the install the nvidia card.
\best of luck "Noob' - we were all their at one time... sometimes I think I still am...:lol:

Thank you for your kind welcoming with these answers :).

#1 - Meanwhile, I have created my own apple ID (figured I should be on the safe side) and started the download of ML 10.8.2 (soo slow.. on Macbook's Wi-Fi.. probably my modem settings..another story :D ). So, 2 Gb down.. waiting for the rest.

#2 - ok, so no test install on the old system. Shall jump right in with the new machine.. Actually my question is about it also: supposing that few months from now, for any reason I will have to re-install ML, I hope it will not ask me to buy it again. If I understood you and rdunseith correctly, it will not be a problem.

#3 & #4 - unfortunately I don't have any older SATA drives for trial, so I'll go with the 64Gb Crucial M4 (currently win7 installed on it) for OSX. And will keep 128 Gb Samsung (new SSD) for Win7.
(Important) note : I am thinking that the main use of the system will be under Windows.. until proven different :D.

What I forgot to mention is that currently I am using the system:
- with Win7 on the Crucial M4, and the Users folder/files on the 1Tb HDD <- Yes, actually I was using Sean's guide on OC :)
- And a looot of stuff on the 1 Tb drive, used mainly for storage (2 NTFS partitions, 850 Gb + 81 Gb) so formatting is kinda out of question.. Anyways, my wish (and I REALLY hope it is possible) is to be able to access the files in both OS. Wouldn't like to have them in duplicates.. for each OS :confused:. Thinking especially at my 200+ Gb of photos..

I didn't used stuff like super dooper, move images from one drive to another..:oops:.. so I'll try and stay away IF it can be avoided :)

OK, now that I have some clues about what I am about to do.. here is my master plan (somebody stop me before it's too late :D ):

A. find out the Aerthos Chip number
B. Prepare the USB installation kit (once ML finishes downloading)
C. Disconnect all drives from my computer, and leave only the 64 GB SSD Crucial M4
D. Take out the graphics card (I have to admit I do not like it, as I have spent few hours making the cable management :) )
E. Install OSX on the 64 GB SSD - Question: how to format the SSD ? GUID or MBR ? Knowing that the 2nd SSD will be used with WIN7
F. Solve all the possible issues.. phew.. this F point going to be a tough one..
G. Connect 128 GB SSD - install WIN7 on it
H. See if the bootloader sees both OS.. if not, reinstall Chimera ?
I. Re-conect my 1 TB HDD.. and hope for the best.

NOTES:
- all of the above it's just what I have understood it needs to be done, reading around here.. never actually did A to I steps..
- doesn't seem too complicated, but I am wondering if this is all
- I'm scared :D

Thank you for your kind welcoming with these answers :).

#1 - Meanwhile, I have created my own apple ID (figured I should be on the safe side) and started the download of ML 10.8.2 (soo slow.. on Macbook's Wi-Fi.. probably my modem settings..another story :D ). So, 2 Gb down.. waiting for the rest.

#2 - ok, so no test install on the old system. Shall jump right in with the new machine.. Actually my question is about it also: supposing that few months from now, for any reason I will have to re-install ML, I hope it will not ask me to buy it again. If I understood you and rdunseith correctly, it will not be a problem.

#3 & #4 - unfortunately I don't have any older SATA drives for trial, so I'll go with the 64Gb Crucial M4 (currently win7 installed on it) for OSX. And will keep 128 Gb Samsung (new SSD) for Win7.
(Important) note : I am thinking that the main use of the system will be under Windows.. until proven different :D.

What I forgot to mention is that currently I am using the system:
- with Win7 on the Crucial M4, and the Users folder/files on the 1Tb HDD <- Yes, actually I was using Sean's guide on OC :)
- And a looot of stuff on the 1 Tb drive, used mainly for storage (2 NTFS partitions, 850 Gb + 81 Gb) so formatting is kinda out of question.. Anyways, my wish (and I REALLY hope it is possible) is to be able to access the files in both OS. Wouldn't like to have them in duplicates.. for each OS :confused:. Thinking especially at my 200+ Gb of photos..

I didn't used stuff like super dooper, move images from one drive to another..:oops:.. so I'll try and stay away IF it can be avoided :)

OK, now that I have some clues about what I am about to do.. here is my master plan (somebody stop me before it's too late :D ):

C. Disconnect all drives from my computer, and leave only the 64 GB SSD Crucial M4
D. Take out the graphics card (I have to admit I do not like it, as I have spent few hours making the cable management :) )
E. Install OSX on the 64 GB SSD - Question: how to format the SSD ? GUID or MBR ? Knowing that the 2nd SSD will be used with WIN7
F. Solve all the possible issues.. phew.. this F point going to be a tough one..

NOTES:
- all of the above it's just what I have understood it needs to be done, reading around here.. never actually did A to I steps..

luchian...
first off the 64gb SSD has windows - did you check to see if your SSD has the most current firmware - the manufacture support website has a utility that can validate this; if so then all you need to do is to connect this drive and boot from the Unibeast thumb drive that you will make on the MacBook - follow instructions at www.unibeast.com and prepare the thumb

Once done w making the Unibeast drive use this link to install ML to your hardware.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/61-unibeast-install-os-x-mountain-lion-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html
the steps in this guide should get you working!

As to mounting NTFS volumes - their is 3rd party software that will do that for windows - I believe someone has listed that in a prior post.
Apple and Microsoft have not buried the hatchet yet - they smile and make nice but that is as far as they go.

NOTES:

A. ignore until F since you have the SO's MBA to download files to a USB for transfer
B. Yes. UniBeast + 8Gb (or larger with 8Gb partition) USB flash + the downloaded ML install app = USB installer
C. :thumbup:
D. Could probably leave it in if using the latest UniBeast version, but probably easier to install with onboard gfx in 3770K.
E. Format SSD GUID partition tables Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
F. Hey! It won't be so bad as all that :lol:
G. Do NOT forget to disconnect all other drives when installing Windows or you might find your boot files on a different drive. This happened to me when I thought I could leave a storage drive in and it was safe to do it. Note: If you connect this drive and boot OS X, then format the drive MBR partition tables MSDOS FAT, the installer willl not create the System Reserved partition on the drive, saving you some space.
H. Installing Chimera is part of E post install chores
I. Reconnect the OS X SSD also or it will only boot Win7. Do not forget that every time you connect/disconnect a drive the HDD boot order gets shuffled. Boot to BIOS and reset the first HDD in boot order to be OS X drive.

J. Re-install the graphics card.

luchian...
first off the 64gb SSD has windows - did you check to see if your SSD has the most current firmware - the manufacture support website has a utility that can validate this[..]
Ah, yes, I forgot to mention it: There was a problem with the M4 Crucials after 5184 hours of functioning so I was forced to make the firmware update to correct this. I have done it couple of months ago, but I'll check to see if it's the last.

A. ignore until F since you have the SO's MBA to download files to a USB for transfer
B. Yes. UniBeast + 8Gb (or larger with 8Gb partition) USB flash + the downloaded ML install app = USB installer
C. :thumbup:
D. Could probably leave it in if using the latest UniBeast version, but probably easier to install with onboard gfx in 3770K.
E. Format SSD GUID partition tables Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
F. Hey! It won't be so bad as all that :lol:
G. Do NOT forget to disconnect all other drives when installing Windows or you might find your boot files on a different drive. This happened to me when I thought I could leave a storage drive in and it was safe to do it. Note: If you connect this drive and boot OS X, then format the drive MBR partition tables MSDOS FAT, the installer willl not create the System Reserved partition on the drive, saving you some space.
H. Installing Chimera is part of E post install chores
I. Reconnect the OS X SSD also or it will only boot Win7. Do not forget that every time you connect/disconnect a drive the HDD boot order gets shuffled. Boot to BIOS and reset the first HDD in boot order to be OS X drive.

J. Re-install the graphics card.

Progress report:
A. DONE - Too late :). Had a look with Aida yesterday evening, and it reports Atheros AR8161/8165 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
B. DONE - USB Flash prepared with Unibeast + ML 10.8.2 from Appstore
C. NOT YET STARTED (hopefully today after work) :)
D. NOT YET STARTED - I'll go with the onboard, hoping it will go smoother
- while at it, Question 6: I also have an Asus Xonar D2X audio card, on PCI-E. Do I have to take it out as well, or I can leave it on, as it won't do no harm ? (I am not imagining being able to install/use it, I'm just talking about its physical presence in the PC while installing ML)
E. NOT YET STARTED
- Question 7: Any preference for the USB port to use to connect the USB Flash ?(topic name is still Noob questions):D
F.NOT YET STARTED
G.NOT YET STARTED
- Question 8: so you recommend to leave only 64 GB SSD, install OSX, connect 128 GB SSD, format it under OS X (MBR partition tables MSDOS FAT), disconnect OS X SSD, install WIN7 ? Is this correct ?
- Question 9: any problems to expect / recommendations regarding the SATA ports use ? (ex: OSX SSD recommended on SATA #1, or #2, or.. WIN7 SSD on SATA #1, or #2, ...)
H. NOT YET STARTED
- true, only that I have understood that Chimera will be messed up when installing WIN7.
- Question 10: If the OS X SSD is disconnected when installing WIN7, will Chimera see both OS after WIN7 install completes, and the OS X SSD is reconnected ? Or Chimera needs to be reinstalled at this step ?
I. NOT YET STARTED
J. NOT YET STARTED

Once again, thank you very much for your help. Making good progress, and the myst slowly goes away.. :lol:

Progress report:
A. DONE - Atheros AR8161/8165 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
C. DONE
D. DONE - with the onboard, worked out of the box
- while at it, Question 6: I also have an Asus Xonar D2X audio card, on PCI-E. Do I have to take it out as well, or I can leave it on, as it won't do no harm ? (I am not imagining being able to install/use it, I'm just talking about its physical presence in the PC while installing ML)
- Answer 6: no problem. It simply doesn't mind it.
E. DONE
- Question 7: Any preference for the USB port to use to connect the USB Flash ?(topic name is still Noob questions):D
- Answer 7: Used the front USB, all good.
F.IN PROGRESS
- I found my self in ML, in no time. Boot without any issues, install without any issues. However, one bizzare thing happened: when in ML for the first time, before running MultiBeast, the network card WAS working. I have downloaded Multibeast directly on my CustoMac (by the way, don't know what .aml file the guide is reffering to.. I had only the MultiBeast 5.2.1 install package and I run it) In case I have said something stupid, please take into account that I am new also to Mac World (I don't really use my wife's..) :)
- Question 7.1: Is it normal that the network card worked before the Multibeast setup ? Have I done something to break it ?

G.NOT YET STARTED
- Question 8: so you recommend to leave only 64 GB SSD, install OSX, connect 128 GB SSD, format it under OS X (MBR partition tables MSDOS FAT), disconnect OS X SSD, install WIN7 ? Is this correct ?
- Question 9: any problems to expect / recommendations regarding the SATA ports use ? (ex: OSX SSD recommended on SATA #1, or #2, or.. WIN7 SSD on SATA #1, or #2, ...)
H. NOT YET STARTED
- true, only that I have understood that Chimera will be messed up when installing WIN7.
- Question 10: If the OS X SSD is disconnected when installing WIN7, will Chimera see both OS after WIN7 install completes, and the OS X SSD is reconnected ? Or Chimera needs to be reinstalled at this step ?
I. NOT YET STARTED
J. NOT YET STARTED

Progress report:
A. DONE - Atheros AR8161/8165 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
C. DONE
D. DONE - with the onboard, worked out of the box
- Answer 6: no problem. It simply doesn't mind it.
E. DONE
- Answer 7: Used the front USB, all good.
F. DONE
- I found my self in ML, in no time. Boot without any issues, install without any issues. However, one bizzare thing happened: when in ML for the first time, before running MultiBeast, the network card WAS working. I have downloaded Multibeast directly on my CustoMac (by the way, don't know what .aml file the guide is reffering to.. I had only the MultiBeast 5.2.1 install package and I run it) In case I have said something stupid, please take into account that I am new also to Mac World (I don't really use my wife's..) :)
- Question 7.1: Is it normal that the network card worked before the Multibeast setup ? Have I done something to break it ?
- Answer 7.1: Since MultiBeast 5.2, Shailua's experimental driver for Atheros AR81(31/32/51/52/61/62/71/72) is included. Enough just to select it, under Network drivers.

SOUND (VIA 2021 chipset): Works (at least for headphones, using the green output) using Voodoo 0.2.7.3 from Multibeast.

G.NOT YET STARTED
H. NOT YET STARTED
I. NOT YET STARTED
J. NOT YET STARTED

NOTE: I have chosen to post multiple times in order to have the entire history and the beginner questions that passed through my mind. Maybe someone else will think the same one day and this could help clarifying.

Anyone around ? For Q8, please? :)
I installed OS X, all good, GTX 670 video card is working (don't really know if accelerated though - don't see any ripples..), I have connected the 128 Gb, formatted in MBR MS_DOS FAT, but now don't really know how to go about installing Windows:
- Should I disconnect the OS X SSD and leave only the freshly formated 128 Gb SSD ?
- Should I reformat the drive in NTFS with the Windows install disk ? Answer: YES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back