2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey all,

Just a quick question, is it possible to paint/powder coat a MacPro/G5 case? And if so, how would I go about doing it AND has anyone done it before??

Thanks for your help!

Hey all,

Just a quick question, is it possible to paint/powder coat a MacPro/G5 case? And if so, how would I go about doing it AND has anyone done it before??

Thanks for your help!

Boy oh boy is it your lucky day.

Here are some pictures of my G5:

DSC06778.jpg

DSC06779.jpg

DSC06781.jpg

DSC06783.jpg

DSC06801.jpg

Very simple, just take the case all the way apart and then put the screws and nuts back where they were. Make sure to remove everything rubber and plastic.

Jeffinslaw

Haha wow no kidding!!

Can you give me some details about how you did it? Like what paint did you use and what was your process!!

Looks great btw except I think I want a grey/matte finish on the sides... kinda like my iPhone 5 :D

Haha wow no kidding!!

Can you give me some details about how you did it? Like what paint did you use and what was your process!!

Looks great btw except I think I want a grey/matte finish on the sides... kinda like my iPhone 5 :D

I didn't do it personally, I took it somewhere and had it done professionally. That would look nice. I suggest going with a gloss on the outside, not a matte. I am getting all of the inner components coated matte black, that looks good.

Jeffinslaw

Good idea

Do you mind linking me to the place you had your case painted? I would love to get in contact with them and talk to them about it... they did a great job on yours!

I didn't do it personally, I took it somewhere and had it done professionally. That would look nice. I suggest going with a gloss on the outside, not a matte. I am getting all of the inner components coated matte black, that looks good.

Jeffinslaw

Is that paint or powdercoat? It looks like paint from the photos.

Good idea

Do you mind linking me to the place you had your case painted? I would love to get in contact with them and talk to them about it... they did a great job on yours!

Well if you are located in the US, do a quick Google search. There should be a powder coating place in your city, if it is big enough.

Is that paint or powdercoat? It looks like paint from the photos.

That would be powder.

Jeffinslaw

Here is mine from a while back. Im lucky enough to have a friend that runs a shop that does powder coating so it was fairly easy for me. The parts are big enough that you need someone with an industrial sized oven to powder coat them but any professional shop would.

If you fully disassemble it first it should be easy enough to have someone sand blast it and powder coat it.

click -> http://www.tonymacx86.com/case-mods/9699-hack-pro-g5-case-another-one.html

Super clean case BTW! Great Job!

I too am making a black G5 hackintosh. I have taken the case completely apart and removed all plastic and rubber pieces. I have a question. When sending the case off for powdercoating, do all the original G5 motherboard standoffs need to be removed before applying powder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back