Contribute
Register

Powdercoating the G5 case!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Super clean case BTW! Great Job!

I too am making a black G5 hackintosh. I have taken the case completely apart and removed all plastic and rubber pieces. I have a question. When sending the case off for powdercoating, do all the original G5 motherboard standoffs need to be removed before applying powder?

No they do not all need to be removed. If you are going to JBWeld standoffs in place, you need to have the case sandblasted first, then JBWeld the standoffs, then have the people complete the powder coating.

Jeffinslaw

That's a really top notch case mod Jeff.

Hadn't seen this before.

Do you find the powder coat shows up finger marks?

That's a really top notch case mod Jeff.

Hadn't seen this before.

Do you find the powder coat shows up finger marks?

Thank you! It shows dust and finger prints like you wouldn't believe lol. I do believe that is because it is a glossy black. I had some internal items powder coated a matte black and they don't show finger prints or dust really.

How did you managed the front panel / Power button?

Is this question directed at me? You can find my build log over at overclock.net. Just search for "MurderMac"

Jeffinslaw

Yes! Thanks :)

I haven't finished the power button and front panel yet because I need to drill out the power button hole, there was a lot of powder sprayed there so the button and it's locking mechanism doesn't fit very well.

Jeffinslaw

Okay, Thanks!

Just to double check. If i am reusing the stock motherboard standoffs (as called for by the laser-hive mobo tray kit) then i do not need to worry about the standoffs falling off from sandblasting or powder-coating?

Okay, Thanks!

Just to double check. If i am reusing the stock motherboard standoffs (as called for by the laser-hive mobo tray kit) then i do not need to worry about the standoffs falling off from sandblasting or powder-coating?

No need to worry.

Jeffinslaw

I saw a picture of your Power Mac G5 from a thread, and it surprised me how you colored it black, in such a gladt what kind of color you have used.

Rasmus Steenholt

Boy oh boy is it your lucky day.

Here are some pictures of my G5:

DSC06778.jpg

DSC06779.jpg

DSC06781.jpg

DSC06783.jpg

DSC06801.jpg

Very simple, just take the case all the way apart and then put the screws and nuts back where they were. Make sure to remove everything rubber and plastic.

Jeffinslaw

I saw a picture of your Power Mac G5 from a thread, and it surprised me how you colored it black, in such a gladt what kind of color you have used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back