Lenovo Y50-70
CPU
i7-4720HQ
Graphics
HD 4600, 1920x1080
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I have a Lenovo Y50-70 triple boot system using Clover. I have partitions for Windows 10, Linux Mint 19, and MacOS Sierra.

My disk partitions are: HFS+; ext4; Windows

Since Mojave requires APFS, can I add another partition from the HFS+ side, then format only that partition to APFS (leaving other partitions untouched), and then install Mojave on the new partition?

Many thanks in advance.

Do want to upgrade you Sierra to Mojave or do you want to install Mojave separately ?. I If you are installing it on a separate partition, I would suggest making a partition for your Mojave install, formatting it appropriately with disk utils on the installer, the installer will take care of the rest.:)

So you can format just a partition as APFS, instead of the whole disk?

Yes, I want to keep my Sierra partition, but I want to try out Mojave - but a clean install on a totally separate partition.

Yeah just make a partition for your Mojave install from the free space in your drive, when you boot into the Mojave installer, use diskutils to format your Mojave partition it to Mac OS extended journaled and install it Mojave there. The installer creates the APFS for you.

Fantastic, thanks, I'll try it. Also, I've heard that Clover won't see APFS disks/partitions without special kexts. Is that still the case? Do you know which kexts I'll need, and where they go within the EFI partition?

Fantastic, thanks, I'll try it. Also, I've heard that Clover won't see APFS disks/partitions without special kexts. Is that still the case? Do you know which kexts I'll need, and where they go within the EFI partition?

Clover sees all bootable partitions by default including bootable APFS mac partitions so you won't need any kexts. If your keyboard doesnt work in the Mojave installer just use an external keyboard . Then install kexts into Mojave's L/E when ( and if :lol: ) it installs.

I suppose you know how to make bootable usb's and all that with unibeast ?

I don't think you'll need any special kexts

Also do you have your usb stick ready ?

Last edited:
I don't have the USB ready, but I will work on that this weekend, yes I know how to use Unibeast. Thanks a lot!!!! If you have any other advice, I'll appreciate it!!

I've got Mojave installed on the new partition, but I don't see an EFI partition for Mojave, I only see my original EFI partition. Without access to it, I can't put in necessary kexts. Any advice?

I've got Mojave installed on the new partition, but I don't see an EFI partition for Mojave, I only see my original EFI partition. Without access to it, I can't put in necessary kexts. Any advice?

There can only be one EFI partition on a drive I believe. Besides you will need to mount it before you it will be visible in OS X.
What kind of kexts do you want to install ? (i.e what issues are the kexts fixing ?)

Can you boot into your mojave install ?
If you can boot into you Mojave install you are better off installing kexts (unless told otherwise) to Mojave's L/E

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back