Contribute
Register

Possible to Connect MBP as Second Screen (Sierra)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3 Rev 1.0
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX 960 / HD 530
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I've got a working Hackintosh Sierra build (see specs in sig/details) and I want to connect my Macbook Pro Retina (late 2015) as a second screen/display.

I've tried using the display mirror mode and connecting to my monitor with a DP to MDP cable, but that did not work at all. And Target Display Mode is only for older hardware, correct?

Further, my graphics card only has one DP port, one HDMI port, one DVI port, so I'm not sure how to connect a DP to my Hackintosh if I need to plug directly into the tower rather than my Hackintosh monitor.

Is this possible by either connecting directly to my hackintosh, or by connecting to my monitor (Dell P2415Q) DisplayPort output?

I've attached my Clover config plist, if that will help.

I have looked for this particular question around the forums, to no avail. I appreciate any help you guys can provide, or, if the question has been answered already, pointing me in the right direction.

Thank you!

Attachments

• config.plist
    5.4 KB · Views: 215
Hi Noah, have you checked that you comply with this?
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204592
So in theory thunderbolt to thunderbolt should work. From MBP to iMac.
But I quote "Target Display Mode lets you use the built-in display on a supported iMac as an external display for another Mac."
So that's that. You can not do it the other way around, which is what you are trying. So Hackintosh with a iMac personaltiy to MBP is not designed to work. According to Apple at least.

Hope this helps clear up the confusion.
Ciao.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back