Contribute
Register

Possible easy fix for AMD RX 480 in Sierra using FakeSMCkext.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigamaxx

Motherboard
GIGABYTE X470 Arous Gaming 7 WiFi
CPU
Ryzen R9 3900X
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
  1. iMac
There is a way to get AMD RX 470 and 480 cards working in Sierra 12.1 Public Beta that is using the FakeSMCkext altered to accommodate the AMD and apple drivers needs to activate graphics without any need to alter the AMD4100kext in the Sierra software package. I just had an update form beta 2 to beta 3 and the update removed the changes made to the 4100 kext and I still got acceleration and supported status using the FakeSMCkext method.
So far this has worked in the betas but if anyone with an RX 470 or 480 that is in sierra "public release version" right now would like to try this give it a go.
FakeSMC.kext.zip

This uses the method provided by MORK VOM ORK which has worked for a few of us testing AMD cards in sierra.

1). Download zip file and decompress by opening.
2). Place FakeSMCkext in Clover "Kexts" folders 10.11, 10.12? and Other in your EFI partition the same as when creating a bootloader. Use EFIMounter to get to your EFI partition to access clover kext folder. You will be replacing the ones that should already be there.

3). Reboot and report findings. Hopefully, you will get acceleration in the 4000kext.

This method and the Kext can be used to support other AMD cards that might be missing support in Sierra by changing the "Baffin" accelerator for say Tonga or Tahiti accelerator form the 4000 kext. By placing your changes in the FakeSMCkext instead of changing the actual apple kexts your ability to survive updates and security checks is much better.

This would be great if it works as well as it does in the Beta versions.

Attachments

• FakeSMC.kext.zip
    41.9 KB · Views: 597
Hi Gigamaxx,

Is this still working in Sierra 12.1 final?

Have there been any updates to the kext you posted? Perhaps you can point me to the tread?

Hi Gigamaxx,

Is this still working in Sierra 12.1 final?

Have there been any updates to the kext you posted? Perhaps you can point me to the tread?

I just got Sierra 12.1 beta 6 and it's still working. This is not working for the public release. You need to get the beta version and go to pg. 64 of Radeon testers needed for Sierra public beta. There is another fakeSMCkext there that should work depending on the brand of card you have. Sapphire, XFX, powercooler red devil cards are all reported to work, the MSI 470 also worked with this method, but not the 480.

It did not work on MAXIMUS VIII HERO with macOS 10.12.2 (16C67) :(

There is a way to get AMD RX 470 and 480 cards working in Sierra 12.1 Public Beta that is using the FakeSMCkext altered to accommodate the AMD and apple drivers needs to activate graphics without any need to alter the AMD4100kext in the Sierra software package. I just had an update form beta 2 to beta 3 and the update removed the changes made to the 4100 kext and I still got acceleration and supported status using the FakeSMCkext method.
So far this has worked in the betas but if anyone with an RX 470 or 480 that is in sierra "public release version" right now would like to try this give it a go.
FakeSMC.kext.zip

This uses the method provided by MORK VOM ORK which has worked for a few of us testing AMD cards in sierra.

1). Download zip file and decompress by opening.
2). Place FakeSMCkext in Clover "Kexts" folders 10.11, 10.12? and Other in your EFI partition the same as when creating a bootloader. Use EFIMounter to get to your EFI partition to access clover kext folder. You will be replacing the ones that should already be there.

3). Reboot and report findings. Hopefully, you will get acceleration in the 4000kext.

This method and the Kext can be used to support other AMD cards that might be missing support in Sierra by changing the "Baffin" accelerator for say Tonga or Tahiti accelerator form the 4000 kext. By placing your changes in the FakeSMCkext instead of changing the actual apple kexts your ability to survive updates and security checks is much better.

This would be great if it works as well as it does in the Beta versions.
hello gigamaxx I am wondering why you did not suggest me this method for getting my rx 480 working ?..do we have more then one way to get that card full support ? is there a difference in performance

hello gigamaxx I am wondering why you did not suggest me this method for getting my rx 480 working ?..do we have more then one way to get that card full support ? is there a difference in performance

This method may work for awhile, but what happens is the build version number changes and you have to replace all three additions to the Kext. It may last through a couple of updates but eventually it becomes incompatible. After Sierra stabilizes, when updates are more spread out it will be worth checking out again. This method is much more detailed to do correctly than the 4100kext change. You actually make the same change but also have to add 9500 controller and AppleGraphicsDevicekext, actually parts thereof. I've found it a lot easier to do the 2 min. Kext change.

This method may work for awhile, but what happens is the build version number changes and you have to replace all three additions to the Kext. It may last through a couple of updates but eventually it becomes incompatible. After Sierra stabilizes, when updates are more spread out it will be worth checking out again. This method is much more detailed to do correctly than the 4100kext change. You actually make the same change but also have to add 9500 controller and AppleGraphicsDevicekext, actually parts thereof. I've found it a lot easier to do the 2 min. Kext change.
yeah that is justifiable looking forward for that ..cant wait to test my system more ..will keep you posted ..about tweakings and benchmarks ..there is something good about amd i don't know why nividia just didn't ever naturally came into my build i had bought a gtx980 ti but it died out ..and then i decided to buy this card somehow my gut feeling told me this card will b the one ..there is still lot of juice in this card we need more support on this ...do you think there is any way to improve performance .i mean it runs great but maybe it will perform better u know what i mean

yeah that is justifiable looking forward for that ..cant wait to test my system more ..will keep you posted ..about tweakings and benchmarks ..there is something good about amd i don't know why nividia just didn't ever naturally came into my build i had bought a gtx980 ti but it died out ..and then i decided to buy this card somehow my gut feeling told me this card will b the one ..there is still lot of juice in this card we need more support on this ...do you think there is any way to improve performance .i mean it runs great but maybe it will perform better u know what i mean
Search "Enabling all cores for R9 Fury cards" a current thread with a possible fix for performance. I haven't had time yet to test successfully but others are reporting it works.

Search "Enabling all cores for R9 Fury cards" a current thread with a possible fix for performance. I haven't had time yet to test successfully but others are reporting it works.
willco ....

Hi,

i hve sapphire nitro+ 8gb RX 480.

Installed sierra 12.2.2, the card was recognized but not accelerated (disabled IGPU in BIOS)

I tried almost all the possible solutions.

When i edit the plist to add DF, the system boots (IGPU disabled), but i get blackscreen instead of login screen.

I tried IGPU+RX480 solution but it not accelerates

I have a probobok too, and, when you add the ID to the accelerator kext, you get blackscreen because the correct kext was loaded but the binary has the wrong port configuration. In the probook case, i have to edit de kext's binary to correct the ports, and worked perfectly.

If i'm not wrong, could we, rx 480 users, edit the Ati binary file to set correct port configuration, and get full acceleration?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back