Contribute
Register

Pointer to RAID-0 Guide - Works with Yosemite and TonyMacX86 Tool set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi neil, i have just set up my raid 0 following your guide and it worked, i can boot from it flawlessly, but my speeds are the same as of one drive... Any tip?

I'm having the same issue with 2 120GB Kingston V300's in RAID0. When I do the Blackmagic Speed Test I'm not getting the benefit of both drives being used together.

RAID 0 drive sets - bootable - in Yosemite !

Did you know that you can still do RAID-0 system drive sets for silly fast booting using two small SSD drives? Yosemite 10.10 installed with UniBeast 5.01 built USB, MultiBeast 7 and Chimera 4.0.0.

Use this guide with the current TonyMacX86 tool set. You do need to download Pacifist (google for it) to extract the boot files needed.

Guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...-0-os-x-10-8-5-using-tonymacx86-tool-set.html

Oh! And be sure to go back through MultiBeast and add Trim support (Disk > TRIM Enabler > 10.10.0 TRIM Patch).

Please Neilhart, any tip?

FIXED: My MOBO has no SATA 3 ports, so I installed an expansion SATA 3 board with two ports where my SSDs were plugged in; I don't know why but plugging one or both drives in the MOBO SATA 2 ports I had the expected RAID 0 speed improvement

Did this method work? Did it recognize it as a RAID0 set?

Absolutely yes, try changing your SATA ports. if I'm not mistaken your board has express and non-express SATA ports, mess a bit around there

Okay sorry that I did not see these posts. The common cause of RAID 0's not being fast is that in Disk Utility there is the choice of Striped or Mirrored RAID sets. Use the Striped option for fast read/write access.

Good modding,
neil

edit - add another thought;

While many of us think in the present, one must take a minute and understand the potential options:

Are you dealing with SATA II or SATA III ports?

Are your devices SATA II or SATA III?

SATA III devices with SATA III ports is the best combination for a fast read/write functional RAID 0.

Awesome Work Neil!!
I will try one of the suggestions that you stated earlier as I thought I tried everything. There was one statement mentioned earlier about having to put the extras folder on to each boot partition oneach drive in the raid. I tried everything that was specified in your document (Good Job! Thanks!)but not that. heres a scenario of what I am dealing with.
Thanks Neil!!

Hi All,
Im using raid 0 with 2 SSD’s and I cannot get the raid to boot. It will however boot if the USB install stick is in a USB port.

What I am using. Gigabyte z68x-ud3-b4 motherboard with 2 crucial 480GB SSD’s. I decided to do a fresh install on the 2 drives acting as a raid O stripped set with Yosemite. The only thing I did differently was to set the raid up from the USB install and install straight away to the raid setup without going to one drive and then cloning to the raid setup. It does boot as mentioned but only with the USB stick installed in one of the USB ports.

I tried all the suggestions stated from this group..fdisk etc. And no go. I tried editing the plust files with the right UUID and still no go.

Can anybody suggest anything else that I might try to get this to work? Or should I start over doing the clone way?
Thanks!
Jeff Risdon

Work fine for me tkvm..

Mac Pro 3,1 Hackintosh: Gigabyte H55 USB3- Intel i5 - 8G RAM - EVGA GT 240 - HDMI Audio OSX 10.10.2 Yosemite - MultiBeast Yosemite 2x2TB Raid 0

Hi,
question for Mr THE EXPERT about raid-0 and yosemite

Dear neilhart

first of all congratulations for your guides and comments about raid-0 I followed them for a long time now and they always worked fine for me on all my past hackintoshes so I never needed to post any messages and never had the opportunity to thank you for this. Now it's done !

Anyway, I have a little different question as for the first time I decided to buy a real mac as I totally was seduced by the iMac 5K, even if I still use my old hackintoshes for simpler things now.
So I recently bought the 5K with the 1TB SSD directly at apple store and as 1TB is not enough for me, I'd like to know if it is possible to make a raid-0 with an external 1TB SSD (like crucial MX200) plugged either USB3 or thunderbolt.
I don't know if I'm clear, the interest is having a lightning fast and a large drive (2TB SSD RAID-0) made with the internal apple SSD and the external crucial SSD.
Sounds possible for you ?
if yes any clue ?
thank you
oliv.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back