Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77X-UP4 TH
CPU
Intel Core i7-3770K
Graphics
Gforce GTX 650 Ti
Hello, community.

Beforehand, I would like to thank you in advance for you help and advice.

Now I'm going to introduce the issue. I'm having lots of problems when updating my Hackintosh to High Sierra. My current specifications are:

- GA-Z77-UP4-TH motherboard (LGA 1155 socket)
- Intel Core i7 3770 processor
- 32 Gb RAM DDR3 1600
- GA GTX 650Ti 2Gb graphic card
- SSD 1 Tb Samsung EVO 850
- macOS Sierra 10.12.6
- Model: MacPro 5,1 (mid 2010)

Before upgrading my system, I've made a copy in a different SSD just in case something would go wrong.

So, I've followed the instructions in this thread https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/update-directly-to-macos-high-sierra.232707/

I've downloaded and installed the last version of Clover, mounted my EFI partition, added apfs.efi and FakeSMC.kext where appropriate (in both the EFI partition and the EFI folder in the root of my hard drive, though I'm running through UEFI, but just in case again).

Then downloaded High Sierra from App Store. And the first thing, when I open it, I see this: "Firmware update required".

Anyways, I managed to go over it by changing the system definitions (I think Clover Configurator didn't work, so I had to use the latest Multibeast available) to iMac 16,2. After doing so, even with the system definitions unaltered, I was able to open the "Install High Sierra" app. A few seconds after, it asked to reset the computer.

And here come the problems: I am completely unable to complete the installation.

- If I just boot from the "Install High Sierra" Clover icon, as suggested in the previous post, I reach a black screen after some minutes and the systems lacks or reboots itself.
- If I try to boot using arguments, such as verbose and disabling Nvidia graphic drivers, I get to see the Apple logo with a spinning circle under it, but there it remains.

So, please, any advice would be more than welcome. Especially of those who have successfully installed High Sierra in systems with my motherboard (eelhead, cmn699)

By the way, I didn't say that, but I want to upgrade my filesystem to APFS, though this may be evident.

If there are other means to install the system (like creating an USB installer, as suggested in this post: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...h-sierra-public-beta-installation-usb.225520/ by Tonymac himself), please, tell me.

Lots of thanks in advance!!!
Cheers.

Attachments

• HS Firware Update.jpeg
    HS Firware Update.jpeg
    94.5 KB · Views: 836
Hello, community.

Beforehand, I would like to thank you in advance for you help and advice.

Now I'm going to introduce the issue. I'm having lots of problems when updating my Hackintosh to High Sierra. My current specifications are:

- GA-Z77-UP4-TH motherboard (LGA 1155 socket)
- Intel Core i7 3770 processor
- 32 Gb RAM DDR3 1600
- GA GTX 650Ti 2Gb graphic card
- SSD 1 Tb Samsung EVO 850
- macOS Sierra 10.12.6
- Model: MacPro 5,1 (mid 2010)

Before upgrading my system, I've made a copy in a different SSD just in case something would go wrong.

So, I've followed the instructions in this thread https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/update-directly-to-macos-high-sierra.232707/

I've downloaded and installed the last version of Clover, mounted my EFI partition, added apfs.efi and FakeSMC.kext where appropriate (in both the EFI partition and the EFI folder in the root of my hard drive, though I'm running through UEFI, but just in case again).

Then downloaded High Sierra from App Store. And the first thing, when I open it, I see this: "Firmware update required".

Anyways, I managed to go over it by changing the system definitions (I think Clover Configurator didn't work, so I had to use the latest Multibeast available) to iMac 16,2. After doing so, even with the system definitions unaltered, I was able to open the "Install High Sierra" app. A few seconds after, it asked to reset the computer.

And here come the problems: I am completely unable to complete the installation.

- If I just boot from the "Install High Sierra" Clover icon, as suggested in the previous post, I reach a black screen after some minutes and the systems lacks or reboots itself.
- If I try to boot using arguments, such as verbose and disabling Nvidia graphic drivers, I get to see the Apple logo with a spinning circle under it, but there it remains.

So, please, any advice would be more than welcome. Especially of those who have successfully installed High Sierra in systems with my motherboard (eelhead, cmn699)

By the way, I didn't say that, but I want to upgrade my filesystem to APFS, though this may be evident.

If there are other means to install the system (like creating an USB installer, as suggested in this post: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...h-sierra-public-beta-installation-usb.225520/ by Tonymac himself), please, tell me.

Lots of thanks in advance!!!
Cheers.
doesn't need buying advice, moved to desktop support

The macOS High Sierra will probably automatically convert your SSD to apfs if that's what you want. There is a flag you can add to prevent it, but I gather you want apfs, so you're doing the right thing for you by not adding it.

Are you booting UEFI from the BIOS? I guess I'd prefer to understand exactly how 10.12.6 is booting, UEFI to the CLOVER installed in the EFI partition, or, legacy, using the EFI folder at the root of your drive. If your system supports UEFI booting, you should delete the EFI folder at the root of your hard drive, possibly backing it up in case there is something in there you need. UEFI booting will read the clover in the EFI partition and anything else is confusing.

I don't know if your graphics card uses web drivers, built-in drivers, or what. That's a possible area for something going wrong. Did you have to install web drivers to get 10.12.6 to use your graphics card? If so, ideally, remove the graphics card drivers for now (delete GeForce*.kext and NVDA*.kext). You'll get low res graphics but that's ok for now.

Boot with -v and see what the error messages are telling you. And yes you want to select the "install macOS High Sierra " option. It'll do this a couple times, I think once to convert to apfs and one to install. Basically if there is an "install macOS High Sierra" option you want to choose it, because that will go away once installation is complete.

The macOS High Sierra will probably automatically convert your SSD to apfs if that's what you want. There is a flag you can add to prevent it, but I gather you want apfs, so you're doing the right thing for you by not adding it.

Are you booting UEFI from the BIOS? I guess I'd prefer to understand exactly how 10.12.6 is booting, UEFI to the CLOVER installed in the EFI partition, or, legacy, using the EFI folder at the root of your drive. If your system supports UEFI booting, you should delete the EFI folder at the root of your hard drive, possibly backing it up in case there is something in there you need. UEFI booting will read the clover in the EFI partition and anything else is confusing.

I don't know if your graphics card uses web drivers, built-in drivers, or what. That's a possible area for something going wrong. Did you have to install web drivers to get 10.12.6 to use your graphics card? If so, ideally, remove the graphics card drivers for now (delete GeForce*.kext and NVDA*.kext). You'll get low res graphics but that's ok for now.

Boot with -v and see what the error messages are telling you. And yes you want to select the "install macOS High Sierra " option. It'll do this a couple times, I think once to convert to apfs and one to install. Basically if there is an "install macOS High Sierra" option you want to choose it, because that will go away once installation is complete.

About how my BIOS boots, I'm sure it does via UEFI, though maybe in the past it used to boot in Legacy and thus the EFI folder remains there at the root of my drive. However, Clover does boot from the EFI partition. I just kept the EFI folder for melancholic reasons.

Concerning my graphic card, I have two options, the NVIDIA web drivers and the proper system drivers (both seem to work). However, in order to get the Sierra installer (not High Sierra), I needed to tick both video options in Clover (Set Nvidia to VESA and Use Nvidia WEB drivers). As far as I know, there are new Nvidia Web drivers for 10.13, but you need to install them from High Sierra.

I always use verbose mode but I don't see any error, but a black screen. I did not know that it needed to boot twice, once to convert HFS+ to APFS and another one to install the system. Maybe I should let it finish the first time and see what happens next. I'lll try and tell you.

Thank you again!

Hi did you get anywhere with this? I have similar problem in that I have working Sierra setup that I cannot get to boot with High Sierra without getting the spinning circle and the white spinning circle on black screen then locks up. Was unable to get a successful instal using this Hackintosh so tried usb connected drive on real Mac and high Sierra installed successfully but again this will not run on hack. Tried all latest clover etc and usb/HD boot no go

Hi did you get anywhere with this? I have similar problem in that I have working Sierra setup that I cannot get to boot with High Sierra without getting the spinning circle and the white spinning circle on black screen then locks up. Was unable to get a successful instal using this Hackintosh so tried usb connected drive on real Mac and high Sierra installed successfully but again this will not run on hack. Tried all latest clover etc and usb/HD boot no go
I haven't tested since yesterday and I don't think I will have time to play today. However, I'll keep you updated.

Anyways, I wouldn't be so sure about installing High Sierra connecting the drive to a real Mac. I did so when updating from El Capitan to Sierra and it worked for me. You only have to set it up afterwards with Multibeast or Clover. Give it a try and tell me!

IMG_4634.PNG
IMG_4635.JPG

Hi! I've been trying to install a few times and always get stuck at the same point.

I will upload two images with the error I get (or at least the last thing I see before the system restarts).

Thank you again.

View attachment 283458 View attachment 283459

Hi! I've been trying to install a few times and always get stuck at the same point.

I will upload two images with the error I get (or at least the last thing I see before the system restarts).

Thank you again.

New update. After charging the white line, it gets stuck in this screen (that happens if I boot without injected kexts; otherwise I get the error above):

Attachments

• IMG_4648.JPG
    IMG_4648.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 325
Last edited:
Anyways, I wouldn't be so sure about installing High Sierra connecting the drive to a real Mac. I did so when updating from El Capitan to Sierra and it worked for me. You only have to set it up afterwards with Multibeast or Clover.
Yes also have done el c to Sierra on real Mac previously and it worked. Have setup latest clover and fakesmc on drive and it will boot into clover but when select high Sierra loading gets stuck. Have also tried clover boot from usb same result. I'll do a -v and post where it stops someone may be able to shed some light from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back