Contribute
Register

Please help. My 2 internal HFS RAID 0s have become corrupted volumes. How to repair them?

Motherboard
Asus Rampage V5 Edition 10 X99
CPU
i7-6950X
Graphics
GTX 1080 Ti
Would really appreciate some assistance as this is way over my head. My hackintosh froze yesterday while video editing on a job.
I had to reboot but upon rebooting, the bios froze at bios screen and eventually I had to reset the bios at back switch and reset all my bios settings.
After this my old clover 4706 boot loader wouldnt scan entries. I'm working remotely with my hack at the moment so don't have my clover USB to try to boot from until Friday when I return home but have switched to Windows 10 on another UEFI partition as I managed to backup my project to another drive but upon using MAC Drive in Windows to try to access my 2 RAID 0s, Mac Drive is telling me that they both have corrupted volumes. My system disk (also HFS as I'm still running OS High Sierra) appears fine and Mac Drive can access it and read all files. I've had these RAIDs working for 5 years with never an issue before. They are both software RAID 0s created in Mac's disk utility.

1. Is it possible to repair these two corrupted corrupted disk structures and keep all the files saved on them?
2. What is the best procedure to tackle this?

I haven't yet tried disconnecting my raid disks to try rebooting my Mac OS system disk without them as I wanted to get a clear strategy for repair before doing so

3. Mac Drive seems to have tools for disk repair. WOuld it be possible in windows to repair them via Mac Drive or is there a more correct procedure?

Many thanks for the support. I have a lot of files on these RAIDs that i don't currently have backups for.

Best procedure is to be hands on with the system, remote access is fine when things are working 100%, not so good when the bios or EFI are not functioning correctly.

Windows will not like the 2 x Raid0 drives, not if they were formatted in macOS and the system is not booting correctly. There may not be anything 'wrong or corrupted' with the Raid drives, that you can't sort out when you have fixed your Bios issues so the system boots macOS, from the macOS EFI partition.

You may need to physically disconnect the Raid drives, fix the issues with your High Sierra setup and then reconnect the Raid drives.

So my recommendation would be for you to wait till you are in front of the system on Friday.

Edhawk your assistance is very much appreciated, as was the last time you gave your great advice on updating GPUs for OS Sonora (Which I've now bought a new GPU but yet to find the time to . I'll follow your suggestion and reach out with more details.

Edhawk, followed your advice and disconnected both RAID drive combos and was able to boot my hack in clover without problem from the system drive. I was then able to isolate that the problem is with only one of the RAIDs as the hack booted fine with one connected but not the other, when also isolated.

So now to next issue. How to repair the corrupted RAID 0 disk structure? Would appreciate advice to the appropriate steps

Good that you can boot the system and found that only one of the two Raid0 drives are defective.

Not sure how you would go about fixing/repopulating the data from the defective Raid0 drive. As I don't suppose you have a backup of the data from the defective Raid0 drive, or you wouldn't have asked for help.

Key thing to remember about RAID0. The 0 in RAID0 is used to signify that actually it isn't considered redundant. Think of it as more True/False where 0 is False. It would more correctly be called AID0 array of independent disks. No "R" means no redundancy. So lack of any backups means 1/2 the data is lost and not able to be rebuilt.

Last edited:
Good that you can boot the system and found that only one of the two Raid0 drives are defective.

Not sure how you would go about fixing/repopulating the data from the defective Raid0 drive. As I don't suppose you have a backup of the data from the defective Raid0 drive, or you wouldn't have asked for help.
Yep thanks for appreciating my dilemma. Currently if the defective raid is connected at boot up process, clover won’t show the connected volumes and boot the system drive so I can’t access an app like Disk Utility to try to repair the raid or access the data. I have some of the files backup and others not. I’m trying to find a solution to repair or extract data from the raid en e why I thought to try to use a windows option where the raid is least seen by Macdisk un not currently mountable

Depending on the type of disk you have, you could try using a USB to SATA or USB to M.2 enclosure to see if connecting the RAID drive once the OS is loaded, makes it readable in macOS.

Depending on the type of disk you have, you could try using a USB to SATA or USB to M.2 enclosure to see if connecting the RAID drive once the OS is loaded, makes it readable in macOS.
So it seems that the raid in question actually is fine once plugged into a sata to usb hub and is still readable as a raid 0 so I’ve managed to access my lost files which I’m very pleased about.
So the issue seems to be in the boot loading EFI partition of my system disk which will not show any volumes if the raid is connected at clover boot up. I tried replacing my system disk’s EFI/BOOT/bootx64.EFi and CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder with a backup version of the original files that all worked when I built this boot loader a few years back, thinking maybe one of these .EFi files got corrupted when that raid created the problem originally but no luck. Same thing happens.

What else would you recommend?

First thing to do now you can access the files on the RAID drives is to make sure you have a backup of them, as it may not be a boot issue that made the drive unreadable.

I use old laptop 2.5” drives as backup media, easy to connect to any system using a USB cable or enclosure. Not the fastest medium for the backup, but it doesn’t need to be.

I don’t recall which make/model of drive you are using, but once you have backed up the data on the two drives you should look to see if a Firmware update is available (in Windows). Also run some disk repair/bad sector detection to make sure both drives have no bad sectors etc.

I assume you had a good reason for creating the two Raid0 drives, does that reason still apply?

If they are mechanical spinning drives, have you thought of upgrading them to compatible SSD’s?
If they are SSD’s upgrading them to compatible NVME drives might be the solution.

Both of the above upgrades may negate the need for the Raid0 setup.

Back