Contribute
Register

PLEASE HELP - Movie Editing Machine - GA-z97MX-Gaming 5 - INSTALL, COMPATIBILITY, SPECS, AND TROUBLE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 (rev. 1.0)
CPU
i7-4790K Devil's Canyon Quad-Core
Graphics
EVGA GeForce GT 740
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Welcome Folks.

I write to you in need of some definite hacker type help. I know there is someone out there smart enough to crack this Enigma. I'm an entrepreneur who owns a movie making studio called ACE Incorporated. We make feature films, check out iTunes - All Hallows Eve: October 30th, our first film, which was created using a hackintosh (my first successful build). Naturally we're expanding as a company, and we are running on a tight budget, so a 2nd hack was a must. One that could handle LogicX, one that could record and score sound for films, make music and movies. I had some cash, and like a kid in a candy shop i took one look at the list on TonyMac buyers' guide, picked a bunch of parts that looked good to me and went with it. This is what I came up with.

Intel Core i7-4790K Quad Core
Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5
4 Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB sticks of ram (32)
EVGA GeFroce GT 740 Superclcocked
TP-Link TL WDN4800 Dual Band Wireless N900 PCI Express
LG HD Wide Screen 25' 2k monitor
Corseair RMX RM650x 650 W
Star Tech Mini USB Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter
LG Blu Ray 12x Speed Blu Ray Burner SATA WH16NS40
Logic Keyboard
MX Logitech Mouse

I thought it was a nice sleek build. The install has not been sleek, easy or successful to this point. Here are the steps I've taken to bring this baby to life. (I'd like to consider myself slightly experienced, I have a good sense of the hacker world, but I am not a superstar, I think i am missing just a few steps.) I've put in 123 hours currently, and I am running out of patience. Would love to get El Capitan installed, but will take Yosemite if compatibility with Parts is an issue.

THE EL CAPITAN ATTEMPT:
- Followed the guide Tony Mac Guide, and found some other posts on the El Capitan install. I got really far actually. I managed to get it booting, get the wireless card working, blue tooth, USB 3.0's pretty much everything. However there was one problem. The computer would not shut down properly. At times it looked like it did, but then when I powered it back up, it said you're computer was not shut down properly (the screen message that pops up). The system would hang, and then have trouble booting back up again. I'd repeat the process and again, but to no avail. I tried tinkering in forums, but no one seemed to have the board and build I had. I gave up on El Capitan and tried to go backwards, Yosemite. As I saw a few guys posted that they had successful builds.

THE YOSEMITE ATTEMPT:
I set my bios using this users recommended settings BIOS SETTINGS GUIDE.
It looked to be pretty legit. I tried this guide, and another one that linked me to it. SETUP GUIDE

Again, I've managed to get installed. But cannot boot normally. I boot with -x and get into the computer via safe mode. Yosemite boots up, and then I try to install the NVDIA Drivers. I have issues. I got into deep coding trying to find the right package, and then extracting files, repairing the disk permissions. But every time I got a message saying "your version of 10.10.15 is not compatible with (1FC507) or something or other. I went through 25 different drivers, and had no success.

I've tried various bootflags in standard boot mode, I always seem to hang on
ATHR: unknown locale: 14 the line before it is IioBluetoothHCIController - Missing Bluetooth controller transport.

- I followed the two guides to a T, but for whatever reason I'm still stuck. I began thinking it was a compatibility issues, and realized there aren't too many people out there with this mix of parts.

Can anyone offer any help. Would love to post the steps I took to complete it, and am willing to snap pictures, and offer more detailed explanations if you have any questions.

Also QUESTION? Is this build possible?

Please help us build the next machine that will take us to new heights.

SIGNED
The Shadow

Welp.. I pretty much run that exact machine, minus the GPU. I run a large commercial pro tools studio and use this machine on monster mixes, running Yosemite. I have not attempted El Cap. It wasnt clear to me which bootloader you used. I got my machine rock solid using Clover. I had random freezes with multibeast/unibeast. Havent had a single issue in 8 months with Clover. Looks like your bios settings are correct. I would take a deep breath and start fresh with the clover install guide.

Other than your GPU, I know your parts will work fine !!

good luck

@ryanbyrne

What version of BIOS are you on ? The most current from 9/15 is F6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back