Contribute
Register

pastrychef's testing machine - HP Elite 8300 SFF - i7-3770 - GT 630

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. The audio quality is exponentially better than VoodooHDA.
I've been planning on getting to the DSDT patch when I have a chance, and realized I'm not sure I've checked the quality of my audio outputs. I mainly use either the speaker (if I'm just listening for system sounds basically) or my USB->Toslink adapter if I'm listening to audio/video.

Where are people seeing these big differences? Is the speaker sound quality improved? Or just the front and back analog jacks?

Thanks!

I've been planning on getting to the DSDT patch when I have a chance, and realized I'm not sure I've checked the quality of my audio outputs. I mainly use either the speaker (if I'm just listening for system sounds basically) or my USB->Toslink adapter if I'm listening to audio/video.

Where are people seeing these big differences? Is the speaker sound quality improved? Or just the front and back analog jacks?

Thanks!

For me, it's the internal speaker and rear analog output. If you are using a USB audio adaptor, you are not using VoodooHDA. VoodooHDA was the source of poor quality audio for me.

I used it for lack of a better choice and it was a bit more convenient than using a USB audio adaptor because I would never have gotten HDMI audio from a USB audio adaptor. But now a better choice is available...

For me, it's the internal speaker and rear analog output. If you are using a USB audio adaptor, you are not using VoodooHDA. VoodooHDA was the source of poor quality audio for me.

I used it for lack of a better choice and it was a bit more convenient than using a USB audio adaptor because I would never have gotten HDMI audio from a USB audio adaptor. But now a better choice is available...
OK, thanks, that's what I wanted to know (mainly if the internal speaker was affected.)

Unfortunately, I do not have an AMD video card to test this with. But I do know that the DSDT patch is the key to getting HDMI/DisplayPort audio working.

My AMD RX560 is working, with audio, with no patched DSDT on 10.13.4. No AppleALC, either. I used lilu.kext, lilufriend.kext and whatevergreen.kext. Nothing else.

edit: I attached a screenshot of all the kexts I have in L/E.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-06 at 4.43.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-06 at 4.43.53 PM.png
    166.6 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
My AMD RX560 is working, with audio, with no patched DSDT on 10.13.4. No AppleALC, either. I used lilu.kext, lilufriend.kext and whatevergreen.kext. Nothing else.

Audio via HDMI or DP ?

Wow! That's new to me! Now I'm really tempter to buy an RX 560... :banghead:

Last edited:
You'd better lock up your credit card in safe deposit box !

Lol. I still have to buy another hard drive to upgrade my NAS so RX 560 will have to wait a little longer.

Would be nice if you could test this by connecting via HDMI to a 5.1 surround sound receiver. I know that some trying to do this with Nvidia cards have not had success so this would give HTPC/8300 owners another option to choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back