Contribute
Register

pastrychef's testing machine - HP Elite 8300 SFF - i7-3770 - GT 630

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like it's complaining about the kernel cache. Try rebuilding it:
Code:
sudo kextcache -i /

Also, try installing WhateverGreen.kext wherever you have Lilu.kext and AppleALC.kext installed.

I rebuilt the kext cache.

I installed WhateverGreen in the same folder as Lilu.kext and AppleALC.kext.

In single user mode I have working audio, CPU management, and the RX560 is recognized and working.

In normal boot, I continue to have the same issues with IOHDACodecFunction stalling for several minutes followed by stopping at the same gIOScreenLockState error.

I've attached my EFI folder.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    17.3 MB · Views: 79
I rebuilt the kext cache.

I installed WhateverGreen in the same folder as Lilu.kext and AppleALC.kext.

In single user mode I have working audio, CPU management, and the RX560 is recognized and working.

In normal boot, I continue to have the same issues with IOHDACodecFunction stalling for several minutes followed by stopping at the same gIOScreenLockState error.

I've attached my EFI folder.

In your config.plist:
  • ACPI section, uncheck PluginType. You have an SSDT.aml and that is good for power management.
  • ACPI section, you can add a new DSDT patch:
    Screen Shot 2018-04-04 at 6.49.43 PM.png
  • In the SMBIOS section, click on the button the select system definitions and select iMac13,2 again. This will fill out all the empty fields and will generate Serial Number and Board Serial Number for you. You should also generate a UUID. Also, you can enable Trust.
I am assuming that you keep all of your kexts in /Library/Extensions/. When placing Lilu.kext and its plugins there, it's advisable to also use LiluFriend.kext. That helps insure that Lilu and its plugins load early in the boot sequence.

With the above changes, your config.plist will be pretty much identical to mine. I don't know what could be causing the gIOScreenLockState error.

So I did a clean install. I implemented power management via the SSDT.aml and did the standard ACPI patches for the 8300, but I did not rename GFX0 to IGPU or rename PEGP to GFX0. Installed Lilu.kext, Lilufriend.kext, and whatevergreen.kext. 100% working now with digital audio. Benchmarked with a solid 30 seconds on the BruceX FCPX xml.

Thank you so much, pastrychef! I learned a lot from this and am already pricing parts for a i7-8700k build.

So I did a clean install. I implemented power management via the SSDT.aml and did the standard ACPI patches for the 8300, but I did not rename GFX0 to IGPU or rename PEGP to GFX0. Installed Lilu.kext, Lilufriend.kext, and whatevergreen.kext. 100% working now with digital audio. Benchmarked with a solid 30 seconds on the BruceX FCPX xml.

Thank you so much, pastrychef! I learned a lot from this and am already pricing parts for a i7-8700k build.

The latest versions of IntelGraphicsFixup.kext and WhateverGreen.kext do the renaming of GFX0 to IGPU, PEGP to GFX0, and B0D3(?) to HDAU.

Glad you finally have it all worked out. I'm sure you will be much happier using DSDT for audio over VoodooHDA. The sound quality is hugely better and probably much more resilient against breaking when updating macOS.

The latest versions of IntelGraphicsFixup.kext and WhateverGreen.kext do the renaming of GFX0 to IGPU, PEGP to GFX0, and B0D3(?) to HDAU.

Glad you finally have it all worked out. I'm sure you will be much happier using DSDT for audio over VoodooHDA. The sound quality is hugely better and probably much more resilient against breaking when updating macOS.

Yes. The audio quality is exponentially better than VoodooHDA.

Just a quick update on my setup. I've removed VoodooHDA and am using an external USB sound card at the moment, just to check that everything else is working - both performance and especially in terms of monitors waking from sleep, which I was having an issue with.

I also updated to the latest version of Clover (4428).

If this all works well I will revisit the DP/HDMI audio side of things (e.g. Lilu.kext, Lilufriend.kext, and whatevergreen.kext). I'm also watching and learning from this thread as keen to keep my kexts to a minimum.

I did try without any any audio drivers doing as mentioned here (Clover: APCI->DSDT-Fixes->AddHDMI=Yes) but that didn't result in any audio devices.

Yes. The audio quality is exponentially better than VoodooHDA.

Just a quick update on my setup. I've removed VoodooHDA and am using an external USB sound card at the moment, just to check that everything else is working - both performance and especially in terms of monitors waking from sleep, which I was having an issue with.

I also updated to the latest version of Clover (4428).

If this all works well I will revisit the DP/HDMI audio side of things (e.g. Lilu.kext, Lilufriend.kext, and whatevergreen.kext). I'm also watching and learning from this thread as keen to keep my kexts to a minimum.

I did try without any any audio drivers doing as mentioned here (Clover: APCI->DSDT-Fixes->AddHDMI=Yes) but that didn't result in any audio devices.

I tried my best to make the instructions for DSDT patching as simple as possible. Unfortunately, most people are still afraid to try... It's not really that difficult, but I think the length of the instructions put people off.

The APCI->DSDT-Fixes->AddHDMI=Yes will not work because the PinConfigurations are still wrong. That's what the DSDT patch does, it fixes the PinConfiguration to what AppleALC.kext expects for ALC221.

As for keeping kexts to a minimum, IntelGraphicsFixup.kext, NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext, WhateverGreen.kext, and AppleALC.kext are all plugins for Lilu.kext. Since we need to use AppleALC.kext, Lilu.kext will have to be installed. Since Lilu.kext is already installed, I don't see any issues with using other Lilu.kext plugins such as WhateverGreen.kext.

I didn't really understand what the DSDT patch was for, and I don't like using stuff I don't at least have some idea about! I thought it was intended for Nvidia, but now I re-read and perhaps I am wrong.

Should I be able to just follow your DSDT patch instructions, including the three kexts mentioned, in order to get HDMI/DP audio (and analogue?) on RX560?
Will I need "APCI->DSDT-Fixes->AddHDMI=Yes" if I do the above?

I didn't really understand what the DSDT patch was for, and I don't like using stuff I don't at least have some idea about! I thought it was intended for Nvidia, but now I re-read and perhaps I am wrong.

Should I be able to just follow your DSDT patch instructions, including the three kexts mentioned, in order to get HDMI/DP audio (and analogue?) on RX560?
Will I need "APCI->DSDT-Fixes->AddHDMI=Yes" if I do the above?

The DSDT patch is to get audio working right with AppleALC.kext. This will enable the ALC221 and will benefit anyone using an Elite 8300. It is not limited to Nvidia users.

I don't know for certain if HDMIaudio.kexts or APCI->DSDT-Fixes->AddHDMI=Yes is necessary. I think WhateverGreen.kexts takes care of all that. Unfortunately, I do not have an AMD video card to test this with. But I do know that the DSDT patch is the key to getting HDMI/DisplayPort audio working.

OK thank you again for your excellent instructions. I will take a look over the weekend and report back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back