Contribute
Register

pastrychef's testing machine - HP Elite 8300 SFF - i7-3770 - GT 630

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reviewing the first post in this thread might get my quick sync working.

Before I try that I wanted to check with @pastrychef what the "rename GFX0 to IGPU" and "rename PEGP to GFX0" edits do and if they are still required? I have never used either before.

My 8300 was running HD4000 integrated great, and I am moving to RX560 with the release of 10.13.4.

Reviewing the first post in this thread might get my quick sync working.

Before I try that I wanted to check with @pastrychef what the "rename GFX0 to IGPU" and "rename PEGP to GFX0" edits do and if they are still required? I have never used either before.

My 8300 was running HD4000 integrated great, and I am moving to RX560 with the release of 10.13.4.

They rename the devices to what macOS expects. Things may work without them but there's no guarantee. They are easy to add and I really see no reason not to do it.

They rename the devices to what macOS expects. Things may work without them but there's no guarantee. They are easy to add and I really see no reason not to do it.
Thanks.

I did all the renames in the first post, and also did the additional tweaks for AirPlay and Quicksync, which enabled Quicksync (although lists GFX as HD4000 not my card, like your screenshot - see attached) and made FCPX not crash on startup. Many thanks :)

I just ran a BruceX benchmark and got 35sec. First time I've run it but seems pretty reasonable I think, and indicates RX560 is working.

Sound via DP/HDMI is the next one to work out...but for now just using the analogue jack on the back!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-03 at 5.54.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-03 at 5.54.18 PM.png
    75.1 KB · Views: 75
Tried it. Audio still isn't detected.

Have you removed whatever audio drivers you were previously using?

Have you installed AppleALC.kext and Lilu.kext?

If you've done both, you may need to install a clean copy of AppleHDA.kext.

Also updated to 10.13.4 with no issues. HD4000 graphics still worked, audio (Voodoo HDA) still working over DP, no immediate issues.

Have since installed Radeon RX560 and after a few reboots it appears to be working (no changes to Clover, not additional kexts), and dual displays worked immediately (DP and HDMI). What isn't immediately working is sound over HDMI or DP and I also had a crash to black screen when running FCPX.

More testing and reading needed.

The fan on my RX560 has been silent (not turning) so far, but haven't been stressing things.

My RX560 just arrived at the office. I'll be installing it later today. I was able to get my GT 710 card running, but when I attempted to implement native audio, I was having huge issues with IOHDACodecFunction, which other users have reported with this graphic card. It was working, but my boot times are now around 30 minutes (maybe longer).

Because I knew the RX560 was going to arrive soon, I decided to stop pestering pastrychef. Hopefully things go smoother tonight. I'll be keeping an eye out for your progress with audio.

Installed the RX560 and verbose booting showed the same kext hanging. Booted to single user quickly and the card was in About this Mac. FCPX worked and iStats looks like it is working okay.

For audio, must the iGPU be enabled?

Edit: I am attaching my verbose. Not the kexts that are timing out. Then it hangs at gIOScreenLockState. In my experience it will eventually boot after a half hour or so. I will upload my EFI once it does.

Attachments

• 996CF9EF-AF94-4741-AC64-A435F0ECC0C9.jpeg
    996CF9EF-AF94-4741-AC64-A435F0ECC0C9.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Installed the RX560 and verbose booting showed the same kext hanging. Booted to single user quickly and the card was in About this Mac. FCPX worked and iStats looks like it is working okay.

For audio, must the iGPU be enabled?

Edit: I am attaching my verbose. Not the kexts that are timing out. Then it hangs at gIOScreenLockState. In my experience it will eventually boot after a half hour or so. I will upload my EFI once it does.

Are you using RadeonDeInit in config.plist? WhateverGreen.kext? VoodooHDA?

IGPU should have nothing to do with enabling audio.

Edit:
Check this thread for lots of useful information regarding RX 560: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/radeon-rx-560-on-10-13-4-macos-high-sierra.249235/

Last edited:
I am not using RadeonDeInit or whatevergreen. It was working natively in single user and I had read elsewhere it would be supported in 10.13.4.

I’ll read over the linked thread. It never booted in verbose. Screenshot attached.

Attachments

• FF1C8A56-B3E1-4F36-B9AD-8EF03FB44894.jpeg
    FF1C8A56-B3E1-4F36-B9AD-8EF03FB44894.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 53
I am not using RadeonDeInit or whatevergreen. It was working natively in single user and I had read elsewhere it would be supported in 10.13.4.

I’ll read over the linked thread. It never booted in verbose. Screenshot attached.

Looks like it's complaining about the kernel cache. Try rebuilding it:
Code:
sudo kextcache -i /

Also, try installing WhateverGreen.kext wherever you have Lilu.kext and AppleALC.kext installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back