Contribute
Register

pastrychef's testing machine - HP Elite 8300 SFF - i7-3770 - GT 630

Status
Not open for further replies.
would you willing to share EFI folder ? I am trying to install fresh high Sierra . no success yet.

Are you trying to install on your ASRock Z370 Extreme 4? If yes, you should not be attempting to use an EFI folder for an HP Elite 8300.

When I wake from sleep (or power on) my DVD drive makes a "loud" noise. Always the same, and reminiscent of the noise the older Macbook's made before Apple did a (if I recall) DVD firmware update.

My DVD drive didn't seem to have a firmware update available, and I don't have a Windows install to try the HP MyDrive app that can check for firmware updates.

Currently have pulled the power from the drive...but would be nice to have the drive powered on if I could get rid of the noise..

When I wake from sleep (or power on) my DVD drive makes a "loud" noise. Always the same, and reminiscent of the noise the older Macbook's made before Apple did a (if I recall) DVD firmware update.

My DVD drive didn't seem to have a firmware update available, and I don't have a Windows install to try the HP MyDrive app that can check for firmware updates.

Currently have pulled the power from the drive...but would be nice to have the drive powered on if I could get rid of the noise..

The DVD drive in my 8300 has never made enough noise for me to notice it. I don't know how to resolve your issue short of replacing the drive.

I just updated to macOS 10.13.3 Supplemental Update via App Store without any issues. Upon completion, the Nvidia web driver preference pane will popup and notify you that there's a update available. Follow the on-screen menus and the update will be installed.

Are you trying to install on your ASRock Z370 Extreme 4? If yes, you should not be attempting to use an EFI folder for an HP Elite 8300.

no. I am trying to install hp 8300 i7 unit. thanks

no. I am trying to install hp 8300 i7 unit. thanks

This EFI is intended for HP Elite 8300s with Nvidia graphics.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    25.5 MB · Views: 183
thank you
which Nvidia card? any low profile Nvidia ?

Any macOS compatible Nvidia card you can fit in to your 8300. If you are using a SFF 8300, then, yes, it would have to be low profile. I'm personally using a GTX 745.

thank you
which Nvidia card? any low profile Nvidia ?

I am using a GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB LP version, which is the most powerful in this size. Using it for Adobe PS under macOS (color settings [the ease of implementing calibrated ICC profiles] are way better) and for gaming under Windows (1080p Ultra/High [Steam] gaming baby :D).

/OFF

Temperatures are well controlled, even in an enclosed storage. Lets say, playing Assetto Corsa, the CPU (3470S, 65 W TDP) is usually at ~45 degrees Celsius (113 °F), the GPU is at ~70 °C (158 °F), while the system fans (Arctic F9 PWMs) and GPU fans are ~50 %. With opened cupboard doors, it jumps to 5-6 °C lower (I have to admit, that the Yamaha AVR is in the same storage and adds more heat).
Under macOS while using PS (stiching panoramas, RAW processing), heat is not an issue, fans are at minimum RPM.

Noise: with closed cupboard doors (from 6 meters [~20 ft]) you really have to listen to hear it, and I can still optimize.

/ON

Conclusion: if budget is not tight, go with the 1050 Ti, if tighter, grab a 750 Ti (Ultra/High 720p gaming), if really tight, maybe GT 1030/730/710/used Quadro is an option (still faster than any iGPU). Or get a machine with i3-3225/3245 (maybe sell the original i3-3220 and buy one with HD 4000).

Last edited:
This is semi-realted to the 8300's but i figured @pastrychef and @trs96 would have some opinions.

I helped a friend with buying and setting up the full tower 8300 with a i7, followed the main guide with no issues, however what i didn't know is he was going to buy a GTX 1060 to add the system n dof course he ran into the issue with PSU pins.

His workaround is to have a 2nd PSU (standard ATX) sitting besides the 8300 powering up the 6/8 pin 1060.

This solution is not ideal and he wants to simplify things:
I have told him :
a. sell the 1060 and get the TI 1050
He doesnt like this and he fears that when also adding more HD to the tower the power supply wont be enough.
b. Get the wiring adapter they sell on ebay to convert a standard PSU
He does like the thought of using a weird adaptor.
c. Buy a off the shelf motherboard/Case/PSU and move his i7/memory/GFX card over from the 8300.
This is probably pricey as a X97 chipset would be best and they are rare now.

what you guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back